don't click here

Cybernetic Outbreak Update/Release Thread.

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Varion Icaria, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    That sounds much more interesting than being a generic employee in some store :v:

2. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    That just means that the project is tentatively cancelled. :v:

3. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    It's much easier I tell you that much :P

No this is what I've been working on for god knows how many years now. I'm not going to let all my work go to waste.

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I said it was more interesting, not more difficult =P

5. So you're taking ALL of the credit? :| Gee.

6. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

No? I have a credits file. which will come with the beta when I get to releasing.

7. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

Just dropping this here..

8. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Wow this looks like one heck of an achievement, I wish I was capabale of such :(. Of course nit picks to be fixed but this is still incredible so yeah incredible work. Hang on wait what? he's not a tech member? why the hell not?! *Runs. Also I didn't know you were making a complete hack with all 3 sonic games, you devil! =P I'm so hyped for this hack.

9. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

The Complete hack idea is still an idea, For now :P We will see what happens in the future. The next video will probably be of a boss battle and a more working Transition system.

10. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I'm actually at a bit of a loss to see what is so special in that video. All I see is a palette change, screen lock and music change in the first part, and dynamic art loading failing miserably in the second part along with a music change. Neither is particularly groundbreaking or hard to pull off. When you actually show a smooth transition between zones where the palette changes, the art changes and none of it is noticable to the player, then that will be impressive. I just don't see that video as being update worthy if I'm being honest.

11. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Is it really that trivial to port S1 and 2 zones to 3&K? I mean, this guy is the only person I've seen to even replace art in this game.

12. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Hm, SA N GIL DA; E Zone, eh? :v: Looking pretty good so far; some things need to be fixed but otherwise great work.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    There is a program that converts level data between games.

14. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    He's been doing this kind of shit for years. Just ignore him and hopefully he'll quit.

15. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    If he's hacking S3&K, the system for "level transitions" is already there. If he's hacking Sonic 2, it isn't so difficult to get in anymore. If this were 5 years ago, this might be more impressive, but a video like that really isn't anything major. I made a monitor that does the exact same effect ages ago; the art reloads, along with the level, the palette, etc.

16. Robjoe

Robjoe

You mean SonED2? I'm pretty sure its export and import functions could take care of the level art and mappings. If the meta-tile size is different between the two games you'd have to remap them yourself, and the 16x16 solidity might be a bit boring to update with the new game's index, but overall I doubt it's really difficult with today's knowledge and tools.

That said, why bother porting whole levels between games in the first place? Either draw original art, or don't even bother replacing it in the first place. Stylistically, Green Hill, Emerald Hill, and Angel Island would all clash horribly if they were in a game together, or worse yet swapping in mid-level as seen in the video above.

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    No, I mean LevelConverter.

Edit: can't even remember my own program's name.

18. Falk

Falk

I'm late to the party but hahaha wow, the music in that last video

It's like the sound chip got high on something.

19. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

Thing is, It's more technical in the code aspect, I'd show the code but I will wait till I release the public beta. I'm just doing some tests here and there, There's no reason to come down so hard because apparently everybody can hack s3k now. I will update this as I continue my progress.

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I don't think the reasoning for everyone's moral dislike of your work here, is near down to the sheer fact that everyone can maintain control over Sonic 3 & Knuckles as easily, no, I believe it's more to do with what you have produced and how much you have accomplished (out of the time in which you've been working on it), in comparison to what you could have done with that time.

From one perspective, you have done quite a marvelous job with your act transitioning, using transported over data from the predecessor games, and you deserve some merrit on that part, by all means, and I for one will congratulate you for it, however, from another perspective, you haven't done anything we haven't seen or anything we would want to see. Wanting all of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2's levels in Sonic 3 & Knuckles is something extremely cliché, wanting act transitions and special Sonic 3 & Knuckles like effects transposed onto other designs is cliché, why? Because everyone has had that same idea once at some point in time, it's an obvious idea and not one that really grabs people's attention, it lacks originality, and becomes a constant irritation because you're basically re-doing something that's already done, so the shock factor bearly exists.

Another concern is the incompletion and untidy outcome of a transition and port you have produced in that video, some of the best ports or remakes we've seen in this community have always been 98%/99% complete to their name (bar a few unforeseen bugs), the best works are always kept hidden until the very last minute, they keep a healthy balance between "hard work" and "quality work", you work is hard work by all means, but it doesn't seem to have the quality people can look up to, you should strongly consider putting your hard time of work into the areas that need doing to gain that quality, when I was a kid, I wasn't impressed with the technical aspects of Sonic the hedgehog, I was more impressed with the graphics, sound and gameplay, those are the three main keys to a good game, without them, the engine means fuck all and is completely useless. Those three give your engine meaning.

What "I'm" saying (and this is my personal thought here) is that you should spend more time on the game rather than the engine, the engine is already there and made, that's why you chose Sonic 3 & Knuckles is it not? More resources to use. Spend your time on using the resources provided to create the graphics, the sound, and the game play as a whole, don't sift through trying to improve it more than it needs to be, you'll just waste your time, you won't impress or please anyone, and you won't get as much positive feedback as you so desire.