don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Because the Wii only have 512MB of internal memory.

2. TheLoz

TheLoz

UK
    Learning
    That's my point - why does it only have 512MB of internal memory? It's an incredibly daft idea and massively cripples their Virtual Console service...

3. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    If it is te european one, I'll take it, if no one else want it

4. libertyernie

libertyernie

502 Bad Gateway Member
    Well, it was made in 2006, when downloadable titles weren't nearly as popular as they were today, and it was made to be cheap as well (essentially GameCube hardware). Nintendo didn't really plan for the future when they were building it.

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    There were XBLA games when the 360 launched in '05 and the PS3 came out two days later after the Wii in America.

There is no excuse.

6. TheLoz

TheLoz

UK
    Learning
    This. I own a Wii, I've had some great times with it, but this limitation is irritating. There's some great indie devs out there who could really exploit the Wii's motion controls (especially with Motion+) but this just holds the whole thing back. It's perhaps the daftest of the Wii's limitations.

7. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Is there actually a reason as to why the D-Pad on the iOS version is incredibly small? Not to sound rude, but my thumb is bigger than the D-Pad itself! This is something that I really want to be resolved and/or enlarged in the next App update. Think you can pull that off, Taxman?

8. NeKit

NeKit

Russia
    Sonic SCANF
    I wish Android version had a version of libsonicccdnative.so compiled for x86, which would allow to run it on a netbook with Android-x86, for example. I've bought Android version at Market, but, unfortunately, my no-name device can't handle it — black screen right after SEGA and Taxman logos with music playing.

9. Is it me or is the "Sharp" video filter better than anything I've ever seen on a Backbone port? Trying to be objective, but it really does seem like an awesome filter.

10. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I feel like bitching about the lack of a release date for the Steam version again. I don't care precisely when it's out, I just want to know, does anyone think it's more likely to release before or after Christmas?

11. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    With a regular emulator the entire picture is filtered together, meaning the sprites get mixed with the background and it's all a blotchy mess. Here, I believe each sprite and tile is being filtered seperately, so it looks much better.

12. Montblanc

Montblanc

Hello again.

I uploaded a copy of my own data on multiupload to help those who can't download it with the installer. I removed my save file so you can have a clean install of the Android game (you still need to buy and download the game from the Android Market to use it). Like I wrote before, this data has to be in the /Android/data directory.

Download it from here.

I tried with the same model of phone and it's slow on it too, seems like the Adreno 200 GPU can't handle the game at the WVGA resolution it has. At least it runs without graphic errors, because I found that phones with the same GPU but worse CPU (the MSM7227, 600Mhz) show black squares (but runs faster with a lower screen resolution!).

[​IMG]

The worst part is that Market marks all the phones and tablets as compatible, even the oldest. This can piss people that are buying the game without knowing the power of their devices.

By the way, it's the first time I'm playing this game, so I'm not sure, but anyone can say me if those rings on the ground are normal? They remind me the rings that appear in debug mode on the MD games.

[​IMG]

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Those rings are there because they're accessible in different time zones. Those sort of arrangements are all over the place in the game

14. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I haven't played Sonic CD on original hardware before, but I certainly like this port better than any times I've emulated it or played the Gamecube version.

15. Montblanc

Montblanc

Thank you that's what I thought at first, since the game runs perfect on my phone and the level layouts change at different time zones. But I was unsure if the rings remained in the same place. :)

16. celebi23

celebi23

So, anyone else have incredibly slow download speeds while trying to download the Android data? Played a bit of Sonic CD on my iPod Touch and the touch controls work really well :D Congrats Taxman on an amazing game! Oh, I was wondering if there was any way to extract the new sprites (Tails and DJ Robotnik) from the Data.rsdk file?

17. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.

Uh, my Xperia X10 Mini has a Qualcomm MSM7227 chipset (running at 600MHz) with an Adreno 200 GPU and it has none of those graphical issues, the biggest issue I've found is some background layering problems in the special stages that are largely unnoticeable.

18. <anon>

<anon>

Oldbie
    So I wanna make videos of this with both the USA and JPN soundtracks for YouTube, but I'm wondering, with the samples used in the JPN boss music (and the entire USA soundtrack being done by some dude):

How likely is it that they'd nail me for audio copyright? Would I just be safer sticking with only the JPN tracks since they're Sega-licensed and not outside licensed to the guy who did all of the USA soundtrack, or...?

(also if any mods see this, could you please PM me about changing my name? I haven't used this name in probably 5 years now and still don't)

19. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Youtube is never going to hit you for copyright over any game video unless you upload a trailer prior to a game's release. Sega's particularly lenient about this sort of thing.

20. <anon>

<anon>

Oldbie
    Actually, Rockstar games hits people for copyright all the time when people upload videos of their games even after they've been out for a day or two.
    Rhythm games in particular get hit due to the above issue I mentioned (music), I've had well over 250 copyright flags and audioswaps I've needed to do thanks to that.
    Even stuff like videos of Crazy Taxi get hit because the Offspring didn't make music exclusively for the game, etc.

so all the above is why I'm worried, really. Sent Sega a twitter message about it but they likely won't respond.