don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Flygon

Flygon

Earlier character design?

Perhaps they just never noticed that the sprites were desyncronized from the art, hasn't been the first time this has happened.

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I don't have an iPod touch, but I convinced my friend who has one to download this game for it so I can play it through.

Heck yes, man. This game was just as awesome as I remembered, but even better due to Sonic 2 physics and spin dash. Such an incredible job!

I was never any good at the special stages, but trying to play it on an iPod touch makes it pretty much impossible for me :P But thats not your problem.

Such a good job, sir! Kudos to you!

3. Rokkan

Rokkan

Jesus, those look beautiful. Sancho and Ritz, you guys did an awesome work. Sancho with that incredible lineart and composition (if anyone didn't offer him or herself yet to do it, I really really really want to color that) and Ritz you captured that surrealness/alien-ness of the game's atmosphere incredibly well.

Also Gsilv is awesome. It was him who inspired me to do my little planet thing with his South Island piece (and it was him who suggested my piece for a daily deviation even).

Augh I feel like a huge dick just doing something that wasn't specifically for this, but then again I'm still frustrated that I did that little planet for that Sonic 20th anniversary album and it wasn't there and the guys organizing that album thing did absolutely zero effort on it, so winning this contest sort of fills the void of my rewardless effort sort of.

I like that one. It might have been coloured not very well, being all dirty-looking and everything, but the idea and perspective are pretty nice. I love how Sonic bends the conveyor belt there.

4. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy

What the actual fuck, why does SEGA intentionally choose bad art for these contests?

That, I suppose, can be explained, but a fucking FANCHARACTER?! They're encouraging the shit part of the Sonic fanbase.

5. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Only reason I didn't fly off the handle and call you a cheat is because you did sort of deserve to win, and you just barely missed the contest anyway. First thing I thought when it was announced was "Wow, that guy is going to be totally pissed!"

Though, it did get me how it won a DD and you still got away with it when everyone's already seen it. I don't think Sega had any intention of enforcing any of their rules!

6. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Wait just a second. Someone won the fanart contest with their shitty fan character shit?

[​IMG]

7. Rokkan

Rokkan

Hell yeeessssss. I'm so goddamn happy omg.

8. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    Eh, they were just jelly because, that art is damn good.

9. Frodo T. Baggins

Frodo T. Baggins

I must say, this rerelease is totally incredible. Wonder if they'll ever rerelease Sonic Chaos or Triple Trouble in 16-bit fashion. That'd be killer.

10. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    So CD is in #6 in the US App Store. I think we can bump it up to #1.

11. MrPhysics

MrPhysics

Non "oldbie" oldbie Member
    Ogden
    Fractal Art
    Well after playing the first few levels on my Nexus S, I'm sold, this is fantastic. Touch screen controls are not my thing, but I will be getting it on Steam so I can play it properly with a controller.

btw, for those of you who bought it on Android but still can't get the damn thing to download, here is a link to the data files http://landofdroid.com/com.sega.soniccd.rar

Way to go Taxman, this was a smashing success!!!

12. TheLoz

TheLoz

UK
    Learning
    Okay, so Steam release at all? Sega? We've had no further news on this AFAIK and Wikipedia still insists it's 2012, though this hasn't been very well verified.
    Starting to think it won't come out 'till after New Year.

13. serpx

serpx

I just bought it for the iphone (2 dollars ... what am I losing?) and though it will take me some time to get use to the smallass dpad, I must comment on two things that immediately stood out to me. 1) The visuals are soo crystal clear, and 2) The controls are responsive.

I'm so happy this game got a proper release to the public, as it's a game that needs to be played and experienced as much as the Genesis classics games have been. I am so glad I can finally play this game with its Japanese soundtrack, that also makes it a fresh experience for me, regardless of the thousands of times I've played it on its first PC release.

14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    For the first time, I really don't mind touch controls. They took some getting used to, but they're REALLY well-done here. I'm sure a large part of that is the fact that I'm playing on my new 7" tablet rather than my teeny-tiny OG Droid, but I really do think, now, that touch controls can work perfectly fine for a one-button game like Sonic.

Wait a minute...

The on-screen control displays the A button!? Taxman, I always hit B!! You're destroying my childhood and tarnishing the art that is Sonic CD!

15. sebmal

sebmal

I am the man! Oldbie
    Just poppin' in to say this is awesome. Really good port and you can tell a lot of love went into it. Great job Taxman!

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
  17. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

So the CD soundtrack prize just arrived this morning. Blimey that was quick!

I posted it in creative works area but here's my entry:

[​IMG]

Slightly adjusted from the one on their Flickr as I only yesterday noticed that Sonic was missing a finger on one hand! Ahahaha.

Also did anyone notice that one of the Euro winners eyeballed artwork from an old Sonic the Comic? It was a good piece otherwise but yeah..

18. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Yeah. This is the reason why that art shouldn't have made it in, imo.

However, crappy art being featured is okay in my book (winning is a different thing). It's just love that moves us. Love for Sonic. The love that kept this franchise on going. The fancharacter thing might be love too, but it's a kind of love no franchise needs, especially not this one. :v:

I still have yet to browse the whole fanart contest results. I'm a sucker for that.

19. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Though I'm really waiting for the Steam version so I can play it with a proper controller (no PS3 or 360 in my household), I'll be getting the Android one, too, for the hell of it (and, of course, to support Taxman). But my data plan sucks, and my wifi isn't getting fixed until tomorrow, so I have to waaaaait. =(

Also, what bothers me about that art piece is not the fancharacter, but the fact that it's a poorly drawn clutter of colour with no visual appeal whatsoever.

20. Stiv

Stiv

Oldbie
    NE England
    Sonic the Comic - Online!
    Got into the top 50 with this. CD came today but no download code yet, for some reason =/
    [​IMG]