don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    If you don't find the features alone enticing, fuck, buy the game just to support Taxman and show Sega we want more proper ports.

Also, You Can Do Anything is better than Sonic Boom and every single stage song is a million times better in JP, unless you like elevator music.

2. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Not only does it show SEGA we want quality ports, but this is the first "serious" game they've released on Android, so if we're hoping for some more console quality games, based on the Retro engine or otherwise, we really need to vote with our wallets. Sonic 4 episode 2 comes to mind.

3. Sancho

Sancho

Well, I didn't make it into the top 5. I wish I was good at fancy photoshop color tricks, because I'm pretty proud of my layout and line art.
    [​IMG]
    Oh well.

4. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    They said they were going to dripfeed the rest of the winning entries on the blog, but they've already dumped them here. Basically, if you knew how to draw at all, you won something.

This one is totally kickass. Better than two of the winning Europe entries.

There were definitely better Mexico entries they could've picked. Even this quaint little crayon doodle had more charm.

This guy worked his ass off. 10 good paintings for one entry holds the same merit as this. Fair!

Too bad linework never wins. Metal trying to be suave and all. EDIT: Oh hey there Sancho

GSilv didn't win. What a gyp!

EDIT 2: Well since we're posting them directly, mine:
    [​IMG]

5. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Hey hey, let's not get in to this argument. I love both soundtracks, though I prefer to play with the Nielsen one, because I grew up with it and I think Sonic Boom is just bad-ass. Also, I'm not massively keen on the vocal-less Toot Toot Sonic Warrior, that specific instrument alone in the background makes it sound more like Toot Toot Mobile Ringtone.

Perhaps it would be easier and less offensive to say "I don't want this for said reason(s)", rather than saying "I don't get why everyone wants this", and inserting every reason why anyone WOULD want this, thus giving the impression that you're undermining the foundation of this very thread. If you don't like to play as Tails, or don't care for widescreen, or don't care about choosing between JPN/US soundtracks, or don't care about playing this with MegaDrive abilities and physics, then fine, but you can't deny that you can see why that's appealing.
    I bought this game for £1.79 on iTunes, despite owning the original PC and the Gems version too. For essentially less money than a McDonalds burger, I've got Sonic CD, with an entirely new interface, choice of music, awesome added extra features, better sound than the Gems version, and Sonic CD in my pocket, where ever I want, WITH achievements and stuff.

Also, I care (as a secondary objective) about supporting Sonic and Taxman, who's done a lot for this community. If me chucking money at him gets him to release another section of that butchered fangame he was making, then so be it :v:

Edit; Liking your art Ritz, it's kinda like the fisheye from Sonic Xtreme, and I meant that in a good way.

Edit 2; Am fully aware fangame will not be released, don't spoil the illusion.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I also got the Android version but, damn, it's still at 0%. =\

I hope this gets solved soon...

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Unnnnghh, that is totally bitchin'.

I didn't make it into the top 5 either. Mine actually ended up rather dull in my opinion, and I think I just stopped giving a fuck halfway through. It's nice I guess, but...hey, I got Sonic CD for XBLA out of it, and that's pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

8. FlareBlade

FlareBlade

[​IMG]

Here's my entry. I really like how it turned out, even if I did rush the background some. Didn't make the top 5, but at least I'll be getting the game for Steam.

9. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Did they ask you what version of the game you wanted before hand?

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Yes. A few weeks ago the US Top 50 got e-mails asking which version they planned on downloading, between PSN, XBLA, and Steam.

EDIT: US Top 50. Right-o.

11. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Ah, us winners in Europe only got e-mailed this morning, and they didn't ask what format either.

12. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    MacRumors wrote a little article this afternoon bringing some welcome attention to this Sonic CD rerelease. It's great to see this getting attention outside of the Sonic/video game community.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Alright well at least there was decent reason for why I didn't win, with the exception of the Mexican grand prize winners those were awful. (I really got to learn how to shade on a computer :( )

14. I just want to pop in and say bravo to Taxman for an amazing port. Playing this on the xbox at home, then playing this on my iPhone while in the bathroom at work; Taxman and Sonic Team (to a very small extent) deserve the praise, and cash this game will bring.

I haven't played this game in almost 18 years, aside from quick run-throughs on emulators. It's incredible how this simple of a game can still feel complex and enjoyable in this new gaming zeitgeist.

Also, I hope this is just the beginning a new kind of Sonic done by a now adult Sonic community. Guys like Tax, RubyEclipse, even Cash Cash; they're actual fans of Sonic games now actually participating in the development for future games in some way. Hell, just looking at that Sonic CD art contest, some of the fans give the design team at Sonic-Team a run for their money. I hope Sonic-Team, Sega, Iisuka, whoever is working in HR, gets wise and starts spooling from places like here for talent.

I'm always going to be in the "If I want classic sonic, I'll play a classic sonic game" boat; dlc or not (Desert Dazzle looked ace), the vanilla levels itself is enough for me to play for a long time. Especially Wacky Workbench...

...but not Quartz Quadrant, you are mean and I don't like you.

15. Sploit

Sploit

Well having got most of the way throguh with Tails...

...have to say I personally am a bit disappointed that Tails doesn't race against the Tails Doll...that would have been awesome. A bit like Knuckles fighting Egg Robo in Sonic & Knuckles. With all the other enhancements I am really surprised this wasn't done.

Overall though, this is a GREAT rebuild/enhanced release. :v:

By the way, is anyone else unable to gain any of the achievements using Tails? Its a bit frustrating :specialed:

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Achievements are unfortunately blocked as Tails.

17. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Fucking disgusting!

18. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    A bit off topic, but if this goes well Taxman, I sure hope SEGA green lights you to do more remakes for games like.. maybe.. Ristar? :ssh:

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Good god.

Couldn't it have just been 75 winners in EU and US? 90% of the Mexican entries are god awful, and me losing to THAT is insulting.

20. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Apologies if you've already posted it but could we take a look?