don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Classic Release thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    So I beat the game, finally. I didn't get all of the Emeralds though.

I wish I could have enjoyed it fully, I really wished I could... but man, I encountered too many glitches. :/

The game is playable and beatable, but there's some points that make it feel really unpolished.

A lot of things are uncentered, such as the pause icon. This is probably due to the widescreen view. Also because of the widescreen view, you could see things you were not meant to see right away, such as hidden rings and the background changing. Not much you can do there, since the game was designed with standard view rather than the widescreen view. I prefer the widescreen view either way, though. :P

In the fourth special stage, I somehow managed to hit a goal post which ended Aqua Arena Act II prematurely. Then title cards stopped showing up because of this. In Dusty Dunes, 1/5th of the screen wasn't wavy, but I'm not sure if its because of the SS glitch I managed to pull.

Is DD not supposed to have a boss? I somewhat think that its supposed to but I beat DD with this weird glitch going on. After that, I restarted the program and the title cards started showing up again.

I got stuck in Luster Lakes Act II at some point, where I couldn't take a tube because it was a certain color and I couldn't go back because the gate was closed. I don't have a screenshot of this but the room was small, had a couple of those bubble enemies in it, and you had to press a switch to get to the tube in question. There's also an invincible monitor that I found to be unreachable in here. There's a signpost in this room so I drowned and hoped the tube would switch color... which it did, luckily.

Robot Rave Act I starts right at the end of the act, with a large ramp leading up to the goal post. I'm fairly certain this is unintended. I managed to beat three of the challenges easily because of this.

Checking out the level select, DD's unwavyness is still there and RR Act I still starts off at the end. Also, Mirror Mode is funky and messes with my head, as 1/5th of the screen is unmirrored (the same 1/5th that the wave is not appearing in). This is probably because of making the game widescreen.

At the beginning of Robot Rave Act III's lava rise, it seems like there's no way to get to the platform above other than to wait for the lava to bring you there while collecting your rings. Also in RR Act III, the swinging platforms had borked collision. Like, I'd jump on it and then end up on the lava below.

The final boss also had some weird collision, causing me to get stuck in its body as Sonic looks like he's spinning around it.

And as I was watching the credits, I jokingly said to myself, "Now the credits will be glitched out too..." and wouldn't you know it? The credits got stuck at showing "Game Plan: Hezmania" over, and over, and over.

That's what I can remember off the top of my head... I mean, I enjoyed the game. I just wished it had a bit more polish because I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it did.

So not to sound like a negative Nancy, I'll tell you what I did like.

I'm glad you extended the hitbox on the instant-shield; people were saying that the hitbox was unchanged through various beta revisions so it was a pleasant surprise to see me bounce from a badnik from the shield rather than from Sonic.

The game is full of features that really adds to the replayability. The challenges are reminicint of the five different missions for each level in Sonic Adventure 2 (which I liked) and I've never seen such an in-depth Time Attack mode before.

The level art is absolutely fantastic. Your work as a pixel artist is high quality stuff man. It seems like you got some influence from Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles with your work. The level art is bright, colourful, and very appealing to look at. Its saturated full of colours, compared to the desaturated colour scheme of Sonic Axiom's level art.

All of the character's tweaked sprites, badniks, and boss sprites look great too and I could easily see it being in an actual Sonic game. You really are a great artist.

Your level design is also really good. A lot of the levels are multi-tiered, full of badniks and original gimmicks. Really, no real complains aside from a bottomless pit here and there.

Gigolopolis is freaking great, I absolutely love that Zone. The music you chose for it fit really well. It's a nice mixture of industrial and highway zone that works amazingly and is ranked up there in one of my favourite Zones in Sonic games. Great work with the level.

...and that's about all I can say. I still haven't really enjoyed the full game (I don't have all the Chaos Emeralds and I haven't done too many challenges) but because of the unpolished feel that the game has (which, honestly, I don't really blame you for. MMF is a pain in the ass to work with) I really don't feel compelled to do the rest. It's really close to Sonic 1 for me, though. It already beats Sonic 1 in many aspects for me, it just needs to get some kinks ironed out, that's all.

But it's not like I'm trying to force you. You've already released two revisions and you want to do work on Sonic Classic 2. If this is the final version of the game, that's too bad but I can see myself replaying the game again. Its up to you to do what you want to do with the game.

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I seriously just want to slam my head on my desk because of that Robot Rave starting point. I always fucking manage to do that in every god damn release while I'm testing. I'll look into everything else too and release that fix to robot rave. God damn it...seriously.

It really sucks being the artist, designer, and beta tester all in one.

EDIT: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E2X2RAEJ for the fix of the RR act 1 level and special stage.

3. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Dude, no need to beat yourself up over it. I downloaded the new file and was glad to play through Robot Rave Act I finally.

You're a one man developer. Its OK to make mistakes.

4. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    For some reason probably related to some very annoying and trivial problem with my machine and software configuration, the game hangs on startup.

System is a Thinkpad Edge E420 with the base configuration and all of the parts stock, and it seems like a problem I should take up with Clickteam rather than this game's developer. I was able to get it to work in a Windows 98 VM, though. :v:

5. DM Ashura

DM Ashura

Oldbie
    Atlanta, GA
    Sonic Gemini
    EDIT: Fixed in REV02. :D I can get back to playing awesome again. Ignore what used to be here.

6. Would it be possible to release the folder containing the music files? I meant to just download the newest version (didn't realize you were updating earlier links too), and accidentially got the version without music. I recall having this game before my computer got a virus, and I really liked your choice of music for it. However, none of the links I'm clicking on to download the full version of the game are working. If it's possible to just put a folder with all the music in it in the game folder, and have it play the music, I would appreciate a download very much. If not, and I'll need to re-download the full version, could you please supply a new link?

7. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Yeah I'd really appreciate a reupload of REV02 with music, if anyone has it lying around.

8. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Every site I upload to it gets deleted. Ill try finding another site.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WG6WN358

9. Rail Road

Rail Road

10. Extremely appreciated. Thank you very much. Love the game, but it just isn't the same without the music. Downloading it as I type this.

Is there anything special I need to do with this to make the game play it?

11. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Doesn't Sonic Fangames HQ still host completed fangames?

12. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    It'll be on the MD/Genesis soon enough anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about the hosting :eng101:

13. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Too good to be true, too good to be true. :ohdear:

14. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    [​IMG]

Early WIP pic, I've done quite a bit more since this but you get the idea.

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    :O.

I'm interested. SEGA CD candidate for sure!

16. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Wouldn't a Genesis version be inferior in both graphics and sound? :/ Not to mention no widescreen.

17. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    By the looks of that screenshot I'd say graphics won't suffer much at all. I'd love a MD version, gives potential for Classic on the go XD

18. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    [​IMG]

Taken a while back, I'll let you be the judge.

As for the sound, I'm actually learning how mode 1 on the Sega CD works at the moment, which will enable CD audio. As for no widescreen support, I think it's a small price to pay for accurate physics in return.

19. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I'm gonna slowpoke here. Don't mind me.

So, just played through the whole game for the first time since it was initially released (love that wide screen).

Man, this game is fun. The few "dick moves" I encountered were easily remedied because I learned real quick how to avoid it (I usually missed a platform for the sake of GOTTA GO FAST). Special stages were very enjoyable. They can be a bit of a pain at first when you're trying to figure out what the hell to do, but once you get the gist of it, you're gonna get that emerald. The only "bad" zone I feel was Luster Lake (funny, considering back when I played the beta and then watching the people in the topic complain about it, I said it wasn't that bad!). Everything else was grand. I especially love Crystal Caverns.

My biggest complaint would be the music. It's not bad, but the varying volumes and qualities of the music sort of detract from the experience at times. Nothing I probably can't fix with Audacity.

Great work, Hez. I'm looking forward to what you do with Sonic Classic 2!

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    So the FBI killed megaupload. Where can I get Classic now? I know it's being turned into a hack but...I want to play it again and I'm stuck on a laptop right now.