don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Steven M

Steven M

...come to think of it, I'd have liked to play as Metal Sonic in Sonic CD. Maybe instead of taking on Robotnik boss fights you'd race Sonic through the Act 3 levels and/or just hunt him down. Alternatively, time-travel throughout the levels to capture animals to turn into robots and be a dick in general. Encourage that whole 'level exploration' that people sperge out over so much, but make it fun at the same time - switch between levels, get powerups to access new areas or travel around levels in new ways, new hazards, etc.

2. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    ITT: Flip a shit for me having a strong opinion.

Okay so no one else thinks it looks out of place and it's just me. Got it. Well just me doesn't like it and just me is sticking by that, but I will still be watching in anticipation to see if there is something else that makes me eager for this release. If not I may still get it just cause I know Taxy is working on it. Y'all wanna throw the Salem witch hunt over that, I ain't gonna loose sleep.

3. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I don't think we should be asking too much for what could've been a two-second port with no new features. The new physics, wide-screen, and Tails additions are more than enough to make me want to buy this. Regardless of how Tails might look out of place is irrelevant when it's an optional feature that adds depth and replayability to an already monster of a game.

4. Felik

Felik

Well I must disagree with you on that. Even though he's an optional feature he should not clash with game's aesthetics. Imagine if for example princess Elise was playable instead of Tails (lol). Would you be totally fine with it since it's just an optional feature?

And by the way I'm pretty sure there gonna be an achievement regarding beating the game as Tails with all the time stones.

5. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    I just noticed something weird in the screenshots posted over at Sega's blog. There seems to be a stray blue pixel where it should be transparent in the letter S of the word SCORE in the HUD. Is this an artifact of a mock-up, or is this an actual flaw in the actual game?

I also noticed Tails has a silhouette of his head as the background for the Past and Future lives icons for some reason. :P

6. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Woah, good call man. That pixel wasn't transparent in the sprite sheet I just checked. Fixed!

As for the lives icon, that's just following the convention of what the Sonic icon does, only with y'know Tails.

7. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    Heh, no problem. I only noticed it by pure accident while zooming in on the picture for a different matter entirely.

Speaking of which, what screen size is the game running at? I think I count 240 rows but I'm not sure about the horizontal size. Is it 384x240? (16:10)

I never saw it as Sonic's head, it's pretty much a nondescript circle. It has a few short horizontal lines cutting through the side, so maybe it's supposed to be a fireball or something? I just think it's a random graphic.

8. dsrb

dsrb

I never paid much attention to it but kinda thought it was a fireball-ish thing meant to reflect the speed required to achieve time-travel, or something.

9. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    The subtle details are too minute to compare to two completely different art style ala Princess Elise compared to the Genesis games. The only people who are really going to notice the small details are amongst the most hardcore of fans, it really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, it's just a cute little extra.

10. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    While it may not fit into the sonic cd universe well, I'd love to see knuckles added to the game and even a metal sonic sprite to replace sonic just for fun, I'd pay for those.

I also can't wait to play this game finally using taxman's engine and all that, will be buying it for 360 and iOS for sure.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Same here. Not sure if I'd prefer getting this game for my PS3 or my 360. PS3 has the added advantage of the dpad. I'll be getting this game for the iOS for sure though. Not gonna miss that.

12. Dude on internet helps fix widely released game by noticing subtle flaw in a screenshot that get's immediately fixed after he mentions it on chatboard. History is made.

This leads me to think, Taxman, do you think you'll be able to spill the beans and tell the whole story of how this project came about for the wiki? This could be the most detailed account of the production of a Sonic game we'll ever get seeing as we have someone on the inside. We know how the story starts, the YouTube video demonstration (hilariously Taxman's origins parallel those of my personal hero Justin Bieber), but where did it go from there? How many people worked on the game? The story of how the game came to be would be amazing.

13. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    So which version of the FMV intro are we getting? SEGA CD or Sonic Jam?

14. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Haha, wow. What sprite sheet did you use?

15. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    I'm talking about the sprite sheets that are part of the game's resource files.

16. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    Answered my own question, it seems to be 400x240 (5:3, or 15:9), but in those shots over at Sega's blog the leftmost column is always black:

[​IMG]

17. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Speaking about that, how will the game work with 16:10 displays? Will it crop or letterbox?

18. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Taxman, would you be able to tell us if Tails will be able to swim in Tidal Tempest, or if he'll have new animations for mini Tails and being frozen?

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Looking at comments here and in different sites, DLC may be a profitable concept, not just for the ability to customize and expand a legendary game for approving fans, but so purist fans have the choice of turning down the new options and keeping the game 'as is'.

I admit I like the idea of a 'Knuckles in Sonic CD' patch.

20. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    My guess is that this is a shot of the Android port (many Android phones have 5:3 screens) and the console versions will run at 16:9.