don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    Maybe I'm slow, but would someone care to explain this bit to me?

2. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    The game uses the Retro engine, which alters the system of SCD to match the system of Sonic 2 and 3. Most importantly is the fact that the spindash doesn't suck balls.

3. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie

And we're certain Sonic CD's original physics are nowhere to be found, here?

4. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Well, I don't want to be a liar so I guess I'm buying 10 copies.

5. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    My money. All of it.

6. Spitfire

Spitfire

lol, sonic Oldbie
    New Jersey
    aint got shit.
    So since we're getting Tails in Sonic CD, and Sonic 4 Episode 2 is supposed to be tied into the story of Sonic CD, does this open the possibility of Tails in Episode 2? I wonder..

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    You can choose which control scheme you want to play with.

8. Vangar

Vangar

Can't wait to get this on my Android AND Xbox 360, woot.

Also, Tails blue eyes in classic ZOMG?!?

9. Sure Knuckles was in Sonic 2 as an add on. But it felt "Sega-y". This is feeling more like something of a rom hack being sold now, and personally, it just feels uncomfortable.

10. Flare

Flare

Have the stars always faded away in this way. And Sonic 2 Tails' pallete is so definitely a good choice.

11. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    What if KiS2 hadn't been done at the time, and was only just now offered by Sega in the same vein as this? It'd most certainly give you the same feeling of an 'official rom hack' that this apparently is. It's all about perspective.

I'm mildly interested in it.

12. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 'Sega-y'? How is this any different? O_o

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

See, this is how ports/re-releases should be done. Significant updates like widescreen, fixing of a few bugs and other oddities, general updates and maybe a bonus or two. The only time they did this in the past was with Jam, and then they did it half-heartedly with SADX and SA2B. It's so brilliant to see SCD getting a proper port, even better because it's something that someone from the community is responsible for.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    This is absolutely nothing like a rom hack.

15. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Unlockable bonus after the first playthrough? How on earth is that like a rom hack? Where are the palette swaps, the homing attack, the replacing all the music with stuff from Chaotix for no discernible reason, the dust hill with a horrible layout and switch puzzles, and all the other stuff that exists more for showing off technical prowess than for making a good game?

This decision is very SEGA-y, in that it seems to be focused on creating for the sake of creating and pleasing fans, rather than for the sake of showing off.

16. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Copy/pasted sprite awkwardly thrown into another game? It is exactly like a rom hack.

Seriously, if this were given care, they would have thrown in the characters that were actually part of what made this game great like Amy/Metal Sonic as playables instead of cheap fanservice. (Edit: Or at very least attempted to make a Tails sprite that better suits the enhanced Sonic 1 look of the game.)

I just read about this on the front page. Having some major nerd rage on this one. They have defiled my beautiful Sonic CD and thrown in crappy art from another game. X_x

I just puked a little bit.

17. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    This is enough to make me stop complaining about Sonic Generations every 2 hours daily.

Glad to see others here can keep up my legacy, though. You have my blessings Narstyle and Aesculapius. Never give up.

18. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    You know you've made it when the game you're working on gets official complaints! ;)

19. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    You should listen to him. Amy saving Amy is a cool idea, and Metal Sonic should race Metal Sonic.

It is like Sonic Generations except they went back in time 20 minutes ago.

20. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    Unless you've experienced SCD on real hardware, you haven't experienced it at all. Sat in a dark room, staring wide eyed at a CRT, while Sonic rips through time, tightly clutching a MD controller, can't be beaten.