don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Bah, can't get the 360 demo to work right. Balls to it, I'm just gonna wait for the PS3 one to come out.

2. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Because of the pop-out-of-the-logo animation, I imagine.

EDIT: Still having a devil of a time getting this damned demo to work... I can get my DMC4 demo to display in my USB card's list, but Generations won't show up. I'm supposed to put it in the same folder as the DMC4 demo, right?

3. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    Guys. Guys. I love this game. No, guys, seriously. I love this game.

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Well, as good as it looks so far, I wouldn't say anything so definitive until you've played the final product. ^_^

5. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    I share this sentiment 100%. I much prefer the galaxy games because of how linear they are. I like my 3D platformers like Classic Crash Bandicoot or Mario Galaxy or Modern sonic - a linear obstacle course, with branching paths of varying difficulty.

My hope for Sonic Generations is that, as the game progresses, the paths become more varied, and take you to long, completely different and unseen portions of the level, like some of the branching paths in, say, Crash Bandicoot used to do.

6. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I don't see Nora being lynched, do you? And like you he has a dissenting opinion, point is, he words it properly in a way that can be understood and maybe even agreed with and doesn't come up as an ass during the process.

I too prefer my games just like levels with some linearity to them, not strictly STRAIGHT LINE ZONE linear but having a clear start, a clear end and a bunch of twisting paths you can use to reach that end. I feel that by looking at Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill they accomplished that, maybe even more than Adventure 1 itself which is held by some as the epitome of how 3D Sonic levels should be laid out.

But nevertheless, Green Hill was a piss-poor choice for the demo as it presents all of the issues Unleashed levels had that were completely fixed in levels starting City Escape (And maybe Chemical Plant) if Seaside Hill and Sky Sanctuary Modern are anything to go by.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Still waiting on that PS3 demo so I can make a sequel to professional analysis.

8. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    It wasn't bad. It wasn't stellar, either, but it was decent enough.

I must confess that I got too used to Unleashed's controls, despite never finishing said game; I kept hitting X to do a homing attack in the Modern stage instead of A, which wound me up dying at the point where you find the first rail. Three times. My fault, of course, but still rather amusing. Either way, the whole Unleashed style of gameplay hasn't ever really clicked with me, so I can't say a whole lot about it in this case.

I'm not entirely sold on Classic Sonic's controls. He accelerates so slowly... conversely, the Spin Dash veers hilariously in the opposite direction, being so fast as to be a pain in the ass to control after a very short time charging. The jumping feels spot-on, at least. Rolling is decent enough, although I find myself uncurling a lot sooner than I think I would in the older titles (nothing earth-shattering). It'll be fun to play through, I think.

9. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    This is the first Sonic game I am buying new since Sonic R for the Saturn, which really does say something. I don't actually own an Xbox 360, so it will displayed as a complete set along with the 10th anniversary pack of SA2.

10. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

What Sky Sanctuary does isn't a far cry from that, with the exception that the paths tend to be stacked one-atop-the-other (which is in keeping with Sonic's general level-design style). The different paths tend to be shorter, of course, but I like areas like—for example—that big rotating-platform segment in Sky Sanctuary Modern where you can see a whole mess of other rotating platforms way down below, beneath the ones you're already on. Unleashed-style levels need more of that sort of thing. Theres also a nifty bit where a collapsed squarish pillar provides a bridge to a higher route above the normal one, so if you're precise enough about it you can hop-skip up top without breaking stride.

It's not as expansive as some of the classic stage designs were, but it's the same sort of multi-tiered platforming that we've been looking for since the Genesis days. That sort of design philosophy needs to be used more often in these games.

The real question is whether it becomes more prominent after Sky Sanctuary, or if what we're seeing in Sky Sanctuary is actually the height of the game's awesome-factor. Neither Seaside Hill Modern nor City Escape Modern seem quite as complex from what we've seen of them.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    But, at the same time, we've seen very little of Planet Wisp, Crisis City, Speed Highway, and Rooftop Run. In the screenshots for classic sonic in Speed Highway, we see tons of paths in the background, which may or may not be explorable. So perhaps modern sonic will be similar.

Modern Sonic in Seaside Hill does have a path that splits in 3, and we only saw the quickest, shortest route. Ruby pointed out that the slowest path had a lot of platforming. And Seaside Hill Classic looked absolutely nuts with how big it was. That is a very large zone.

12. gold lightning

gold lightning

All this is making me feel so left out as I don't have a 360 or a PS3. It would be nice if Sega would release a similar demo for PC on steam soon. All I've been able to do so far is comment on how the game looks and sounds. A PC demo would also let me know for sure if the PC I want to test it on can handle the game or not.

13. Turbohog

Turbohog

0000000000000000\53458861\00080000\
    It should go there. Mind you, I haven't even finished my download yet. Although I'm 90% sure you need to put it there. Also, mirror:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AJEXLEND

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Ohyou.jpg

Guessing your positivity senses were tingling huh?...

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Something I noticed after I just started dicking around: there is no point where you can control the camera. Not as Classic or Modern, 2D or 3D.

16. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

...I've been overthinking this. XBL offers one-month Gold trials for new accounts. So I just needed to make a new e-mail, a new account, and download the demo.

And I wasted two-and-a-half hours of my life trying to figure out this USB bullshit. I am such a dork. -.-'

17. Turbohog

Turbohog

Note that this only works 3 times though.

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Noted. And I think this is my third time...

But at least I got the mother@#$%ing demo on my mother@#$%ing console.

19. Valvatorez

Valvatorez

Hades
    I'll second the sentiment that I really wish there was a PC demo. I want to know if my rig could handle it. I'm a bit worried my graphics card is too weak to deal with it, all other factors being fine.

The positive comments and DAT MUSIC gives me hope. I won't be able to buy it day one but I'm working on better employment so I can enjoy this in full.

20. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AosC4-FnkU

My Speed run of Modern Green Hill Zone.

Also, I noticed that pressing back during a spin-dash no longer cancels it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.