don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    http://www (insert the name of that stadium site ) .org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Sonic-Generations-PC-SEGA-Blog.jpg

Looks like someone caught a screen cap of it.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sonic Stadium isn't the banned Sonic site, you can link to it if you want.

3. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    Guys, I told you several pages ago already that the PC version went up for preorder on amazon.de. Furthermore, amazon.fr has it, too.
    While that is no confirmation, it's a very good indication, better than disappearing info on a blog post anyway. Release date is end of November (25th-30th) and price about 29 Euro.

Perhaps the PC version won't see a physical retail release in the US, it might be Steam only there. We'll see soon enough.

4. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    There is a lot of evidence, to be sure. You forgot that bit a few months back where it was found in the Steam registry. One thing you cannot deny is there is no marketing support. A release so monumental, and Sega refuses to disclose anything about it? Why? I can think of two reasons. One, Sega had planned for it, and it was canned, and the fact that it did exist at some point is causing confusion whenever a blogpost or a press release put the platforms available, but never in any of the trailers. Two, Sega is keeping it a secret until they decide that they have sold enough on non-PC platforms to make it worth their while, because piracy is far more rampant on PC than consoles. Either way, it's not coming out simultaneously with the console versions, so if you want to play it at the same time as the console versions, I think you're going to be SOL. I would gladly accept Sega can proving me wrong, but I doubt that will happen.

5. gold lightning

gold lightning

Was it widely known that All-Stars Racing was going to have a PC version when it launched? I personally kind of remember seeing it after launch and Sega was like "Oh yeah, and there's a pc version too.". I just hope that if there is one they don't go the same route they did with Heroes in that it took about a year for the pc port to be released.

6. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    This is really frustrating. I have a PC and a PS3, but I would much rather play it on PC since my computer is a lot more powerful than a PS3 which would probably cause the game to look much nicer and play faster. Not to mention the modding community would be all over this game. Sega, just fucking confirm a PC release already so I know whether or not fucking wait.

7. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    You also forgot the fact that there was an entry found in Steam for the game. :)

8. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    If the release date on amazon.de/.fr is true, then the PC version will be released about 4 weeks after the console version.

Can you wait that long? Will you be able to avoid any spoilers here and on other sites so that you can still enjoy the game?

Personally, I'd get the console version ASAP and buy the PC version a while later, maybe when it's in the bargain bin down at 10-20 bucks. I seriously doubt that you'll see any great mods soon anyway.
    Furthermore, there's hope for DLC with the console version. And if Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing is an indication, the PC version will NOT get any DLC.

9. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Could I wait an extra 4 weeks? Yes, especially since I am so damn busy with college right now. When it comes to spoilers, as long as sites like Retro and TSSZ aren't making headlines like LOL THIS HAPPENS IN THE GAME, I should be fine. That, and people better not be putting things like animated GIFs of the ending and the last boss in their sig. >_> As for Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, the PC version was pretty half assed in general. It didn't even have online play.

10. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.

The data found on that registry entry hasn't been updated since it was discovered, it's still using, at least what I believe to be, placeholder values.

And the PC version has dropped and reappeared several times from Game UK/Gamestation, but according to what Nineko said, there hasn't been any information coming from Game UK besides the release date change.

11. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    It's a Sonic game. What is there, plotwise, to spoil? I mean, seriously, this is ludicrously predictable:

You fight a giant monster as Super Sonic at the end of the game, very likely in a "Last Story" mode.
    Eggman has something to do with the release of said monster.
    Eggman kidnaps animals in the meantime.
    Sonic runs fast.
    Not a whole lot. As for stages and such, Sega's pretty much revealed them all as it is.

As for whether there'll be a PC version or not - I'd like to believe, but then I remember that Sonic 2K6 was going to have a PC version, which never materialized, too.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    That was just a pamphlet. Nothing else ever popped up hinting to a PC version.

Generations has had a PC version dropped so many times now it's ridiculous.

13. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Then again, I'm sure if anything it was a beta to test Sonic Generations being able to take advantage of Steam (such as Cloud and the like). if anything, they probably would have no need to update that beta if a PC version IS in the works, considering Generations can easily be developed for PC and not need to be in Steam's registry ;P

Seriously, I see no other reason for a beta of a PC game to be on a Steam registry unless it's a beta for steam-specific PC stuff. As I recall, even though SaSASR was on Steam, it wasn't really taking advantage of it other than DRM, and I'm unsure if any Steam achievements were programmed for it (correct me if I'm wrong; I probably am). I'm sure a PC version was planned; it's still probably in the works. SEGA just wants to be tight lipped about it. But again, it's SEGA. If something's gonna happen with a major title, shit's gonna get leaked.

14. Thats the problem with this PC version, not enough has leaked to make it certain. With SEGA usually when something leaks its definitely happening, with this it just sort of dropped in a few spots and disappeared as if it were an error. And the fact that retailers are listing it's existence is nothing to go by because online retailers, amazon especially, are known for listing things based on speculation. They hear reports of a PC version circulating online, they jump the gun and put up a listing for it.

This is completely up in the air right now, but if it DOES happen it's either gonna be a secret day-of drop on Steam alongside the console releases, or it's coming at a later date to be announced.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    It's not going to be a silent release. If anything it'll be something similar to what happened with Street Fighter IV. Release on consoles first, then announce a PC version a month or two before it comes out on PC.

16. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    I didn't mean the plot, but whole game content. Thought that was obvious.
    Some people are resisting to watch the released playthroughs of Sky Sanctuary etc., some even don't watch any new trailers. Why do you think they do that, because they're afraid the plot will be spoiled for them?
    Of course not. They want to be surprised by the game. Experiencing a new game for the first time with as little knowledge about its content as possible is arguably more enjoyable than if you've seen dozens of screenshots already, read people's descriptions or even seen playthroughs.

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    What badnik is that in Planet Wisp (at about 43 seconds in the trailer)? Looks like a cross between Rexon, Caterkiller and Crawlton.

*Edit*

[​IMG]

18. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    It's the Sandworms from Asteroid Coaster.

19. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    So since I really hate the advertisements and annotations and watermarks on IGN's uploads (and every trailer having the same 12 seconds of ESRB/Sega/Sonic 20th at the start), I cut the 3 era trailers into one video, playing the main content of each video in sequence without waiting in between.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIUDxOtTatQ

Exported at a very high quality from Sega's source trailers (thanks GamersHell), with only a Sega logo at the beginning and a Sonic 20th logo at the end.

YouTube quality is still not the greatest so I'll be uploading the mp4 version in a while. In the mean time, though...

20. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

You know, I think it's fair to think this game will have DLC (other than the pinball stage on-disc dlc unlock code); The only question is if we will have Boss Fights as DLC, Unleashed didn't even have new enemies (unless you considered -finally- being able to kill the Chaser Robot in one of the DLC levels as a new boss...) or bosses, just new "acts" of existing levels.

I think it would be fair to say they'll add new actual levels as DLC if they go that route, with new musics (I hope). But one thing I absolutely want from them is the ability to add new DLC Bosses/Enemies this time around. Seriously, four boss fights is pretty lacking for a game like this. I just hope SEGA considers that and it's something the engine is capable of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.