don't click here

Sonic 1 + 2 Soundtrack Compilation announced

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Spindash54, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    Too bad about disc 3. It totally spoils the collector appeal of this.

I am sure disc 2 will be worth a download though.

And TSSZ says that the 'demos' will be very short. Is this true or are they just making (un)educated assumptions?

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's CuteFluffyKittens, the answer should be obvious.

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's really a shame too, since there's so much extra space on the disc. It's impractical but a remix soundtrack of several levels' tunes might have been cool.

4. Rokkan

Rokkan

Wasn't the demo tape of Green Hill Zone leaked earlier and it had like 3-4 minutes worth of music?

5. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    it was? I wish I knew this and where to get this (the leak) if true.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    If there is seriously a leak then please post it ASAP. I am dying to get my hands on these demo tracks.

7. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I just dying to hear the demos themself and the opportunity to legally own Sweet Sweet Sweet in CD Quality (instead of internet MP3 quality) is got me drooling. I WANT IT!

I've ripped the Genesis soundtracks from the games themself in their entirety before (not of the quality I wanted though). It's about 19 minutes for Sonic 1 and around 40 minutes for Sonic 2 while replaying the loop section one more time after going through the first time. There is plenty of room on an 80 minute CD (about the max length of one) to have longer demo songs.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The original songs in the first two Sonics weren't too long to begin with, and since these demos might not loop at all, it makes sense that each track is going to be short.

9. Rokkan

Rokkan

Here it is, might be fake though, since I'm surprised nobody else saw it. I don't even remember where or how I got it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20235127/OriginalCassetteGHz.mp3

10. aaronlong

aaronlong

cartoon guy Member
    Toronto, Canada
    Mostly non-Sonic-related, but I make cartoons.
    That's kind of interesting, but it definitely just sounds like a pitch-raised, glitchy version of the usual Green Hill music. The instruments are exactly the same, other than the tempo being messed up. I'd expect the actual demos to have similar, if not exactly the same, arrangements to the final versions, but on actual synthesizers instead of the Genesis ones. (not necessarily BETTER synths though, given that they are just demos.)

11. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    This can't be real. Has to be a joke from someone, somewhere.

EDIT: Also, that random blurt of Emerald Hill at the beginning is suspicious.

12. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I'm totally doubting that's real.

13. Bareirito

Bareirito

Argentina
    Sonic - Mystery of the Chaos Emeralds
    Guys! Can't you tell the drums at the beginning??? They're from the title screen of Sonic 1. Someone rip it and he may have done a bad edit on Audacity. :P Like Mykonos say it's fake and it might be a joke from that guy.

14. sonicthesnot

sonicthesnot

I have a strong feeling that one of the demos can be found in the background of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A83Acpehtfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dtfp9z5Jno&feature=related

15. Eggomaticwaffles

Eggomaticwaffles

Oldbie
    ^I was going to offer the same thought when the soundtrack was announced! It always struck me odd that they'd take the time to re-orchestrate/remix a 16 bit tune for a 30 sec commercial -- UNLESS, they already had the better orchestrated demo on hand...!

16. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Actually, I remember an interview with Nakamura, or at least some sort of story about the sound development that detailed how he would compose the songs on his home computer (I believe it was an Atari, possibly an ST?), record the result and send the tape to Sonic Team, who would then adapt the song for the game and send a tape of how that sounded back to Nakamura for approval, etc. I don't want to talk out of my ass, though, so does anyone know what I'm talking about and have the original quote? Anyway, my point is that that leak is a really shitty fake because that's definitely not what the demo would have sounded like.

EDIT: derp
    I reed guud

17. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I can remember watching that interview with Nakamura, it was posted on Retro so it will still be in the depths of the forums, it was well over a year ago though.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Links don't work thunderpx, can you fix them?

19. sonicthesnot

sonicthesnot

I actually exchanged several emails with one of the guys working on the sound for Sonic a while back and he said the same thing. Nakamura would use a synthesizer or computer, record on a DAT tape, and send it in. One of the things I asked was if the sound programmers had any freedom in arranging or reworking Nakamura's works. The sound guy told me that the Genesis tunes were, more or less, note by note transcriptions and they tried their best to perfectly reproduce the demos. Additionally, the sound guys told Nakamura to use no more that 4 (or maybe 5) voices at the same time to make the programming easier. Therefore, I honestly don't expect anything extravagant with these demos other than synthesized versions of the Genesis tunes (such as the ones in those Sonic 2 commercials.) It will still be great to hear these!

20. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I finally looked through the forum for the interview I'm remembering it was in this old thread. Here is the interview.