don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    So Patrick disrespects Taxman

He says that CD is being tied in with Sonic 4 (fuck that, thought Mr. Christ)
    and THEN he says (in a very cuntish way I imagine) that Sonic 4 will NEVER use the retro engine.

Soooo, if I'm hearing this right. They're releasing Sonic CD as a tie in for Sonic 4... and then DELIBERATELY following it up with a vastly inferior product. Fucking idiots, all of them!

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Damn, Patrick Riley is awful. Someone send Ken Balough out there.

Also, trying to promote Sonic CD as the middle between S4 Episode I and Episode II is just ridiculous. Why would you promote one of the best games from the series with one of the most criticised? It doesn't matter if Episode I sold over a million copies, the gameplay was still terrible thanks to the Dimps Engine being used. Sure, Generations 3DS has got a few fixes that'll trickle into Episode II, but it won't solve much of the issues.

Should have just promoted it in line with the 20th Anniversary and a game that has not been released much - until now.

3. Ravi Singh

Ravi Singh

Los Angeles, CA
    The Snake Soup
    This is truly the prequel to Sonic the Hedgehog 4 as you imagined it.

They don't even really have the story straight as they sort of imply that it's a prequel and/or sequel to Sonic 4: Episode 1. Seeing as how Episode 2 involves Metal Sonic they could have still promoted it through CD by explaining that it was Sonic's first run-in with Metal. Like I said before though, if it's still Sonic CD, it's still Sonic CD. I'm still looking forward to it.
    I agree. Usually someone who speaks to the public on behalf of a company would know how to properly use words that don't sound abrasive. For example, he could have said "Well, the spindash thing may actually not be in the final game if we find some issues with it. It's not finalized and you got to remember that this is still in development and the final product may be different." You will never hear Aaron or Ken talk about anyone doing work for them (or actually, anyone for that matter) like that. In private? Maybe. But to a fucking fan? No. It makes you sound like a douche and more importantly, it makes the company you represent sound like a bunch of douches.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This would be the same marketing department which were quite adamant a couple of years ago that there would never be a 2D "classic" Sonic platformer in the near future.

Then they announced Sonic 4. And Generations. And Sonic 4 again.

they're so crazy~

also let us remember that Sega of America have never been able to market their products. It was a fluke that the Mega Drive worked for them - nothing else ever has. Just ignore what they have to say and move on (not to mention it's Sega of Japan who make the rules).

5. Runner

Runner

Long time no see, old friend. Member
    Awesome job Taxman, I'll going to buy in all platforms I have just because is your work. :thumbsup:

(Any chance for your Retro Sonic game became a DLC for Sonic CD? :v: )

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    You just want Ken to serenade you in Spanish.

"Cooooompre maaaas Sooonic quaaaatrooooooo~"

I doubt there's going to be much response or backlash from any of this. As it stands right now, we're the only ones reporting this and we only get so much traffic on the front page who actually reads and comments (love all of you by the way, even if some of your comments make me groan and facepalm :specialed: ) Do I expect a backlash at Sega? Likely not. Not even as far as Sega's own twitter, though it would be nice.

Riley's just doing his job, although a very half-assed one at it. Ken or Aaron have proven better suited to the role, as much jabs as we give them. Granted, they're probably more busy than ever right now to be doing that kind of grunt work since three major Sonic brand titles are nearing gold press, let alone whatever other projects they're in charge with, which is why we're seeing Riley.

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    maybe sonic 4 episode 2 doesn't take place after episode 1 which takes place after S&Ks ?
    wow my head hurts.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    The main confusion about this whole new "retcon" excuse is stemming from two different statements.

>Riley says Sonic CD takes place after Sonic 3 and Knuckles but before Sonic 4: Episode 1. Fair enough; Despite the Tails image in the game, it's true that the game is kept lovingly ambiguous. You know... like a normal platformer.
    >When talking about trailer continuity, Riley says that the Sonic CD trailer is the next in the line after the Episode 1 ones, with Sonic taking a "detour", and when he leaves his "detour", Episode 2 will happen. Thus pegging it between the two parts. In terms of explaining an apparent continuity in the videos, this at least makes sense.

Obviously, clarification is needed here or else we're going to have far too many stupid theories forming which shouldn't even need to exist in the first place, but since people INSIST on a timeline...

So, if you can track down the guy, whoever is hitting up PAX today, it'd be nice to bug him some more. Not like he can go anywhere else.

Honestly, it'd have been best if he took his own advice to Taxman and kept his mouth shut about development matters (same for his bounty of Sonic 4:2 info, come to think of it. :v: Hypocrites gonna hyp?) This was better off just being "Look, guys! Sonic CD! Woo! Yeah!" instead of triggering several peoples nerd modes into high gear.

9. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Attention SEGA. Shut up before you research. Thank you.

I remember interviews where Reps were saying "Sonic 4 episode one takes place DIRECTLY AFTER Sonic 3 & Knuckles"

how can episode one take place directly after sonic 3 if Sonic CD takes place after sonic 3? It can't. Patrick Reily is a dumbass for thinking so.

Who do I trust? Ken Balough.
    Here's what mighty Ken has to say

I trust Ken over Patrick, fuck off pat.

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    See? Like that. Suddenly, things make a lot more sense.

Muchas gracias, Ken.

11. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I certainly don't trust Ken, because he can lie and spin just like the rest of them. But I certainly like him alot more than Patrick, at least he has some fucking manners!

12. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    By the way, where is the source of this? I only see one random member posted it up on Sega's forums. Where'd Ken throw this up?

One random member does not Ken Balough make.

13. Machenstein

Machenstein

I think these statements about Sonic 4's connection to Sonic CD are only being addressed to those who are unfamiliar with the series. Sonic 4 Episode 2 will only make sense if you played Sonic CD first, which not many people have yet. Sega is obviously marketing both games to consumers who don't know as much about the series as we do.

14. dsrb

dsrb

This “detour” nonsense had better be nothing beyond an asinine gimmick to use whilst hawking CD, or that is some of the stupidest shit I've ever heard.

And this after the thoughtless tripe about the fat man of many names ‘revisiting his greatest creations’ as an impotent attempt to hand-wave away criticism of their profuse rehashery!

Ship of fools.

15. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Disregard everything I said until I have evidence on this. I apologize and I spoke far too soon. Still, I can't be the only one ticked off by this change. This is what happens when you give the West complete control over a sonic game, I'm afraid. This is just another "Mobius" and "Eggman to Robotnik" change to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sonic CD, it's still my favorite game and all, but this is just pretty absurd. This storyline change is just clearly for marketing purposes, it's like Sega is trying to directly feed Episode 2 into classic sonic fan's minds. It's pure marketing bizz, which is why I say we just completely disregard this new canon.

16. MastaSys

MastaSys

True or not, it's more of my taste.

And it's what I "interpreted" the whole "prequel" thing.
    Guess I never imagined after this time Sega would make this kind of old product less appealing to Sonic CD's "main market", that is the "fans" from the 90s.
    Guess they still "surprise" us after all.

Guess Sonic to work really need to have the best of the two worlds, hum?

17. Runner

Runner

Long time no see, old friend. Member
    So, Sonic Colors' Sonic have got a ticket to the past and so does Sonic 4's Sonic into Sonic CD? :psyduck:

18. There's doubt in my mind that the timeline for myself will be:

Sonic 1
    Sonic CD
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Knuckles Chaotix
    Sonic 4 Ep 1~whatever.

Regardless of any PR from Sega it'll always be this for me. I think the fans fighting the marketing folks is just tedious as many others have expressed through their posts. The game's coming. Taxman may of said too much under the gun and unfortunately got a nip on the neck for it. The fans shouldn't be jumping at the chance of revolution when nearly everyone knows how serious NDA's are regardless of involvement in whatever it may be. I mean, judging by Slingerland and KevinEva's twitter this things been in development for 2 years and it's thanks to NDA's that it's fruitated into something everyone should be happy for.

19. gold lightning

gold lightning

EDIT: I didn't read the entire last page worth of posts like I normally do. My bad. Please trash.

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

That's cleared that up then. The continuity isn't disturbed, but through the marketing, Sonic 4 Trailer Sonic literally takes us back in time with him to Sonic CD. This is a visual interpretation of 'we are reliving Sonic CD before Sonic 4 Ep II'. No retcon, no changes, but linking it to Sonic 4 as that will further the Metal Sonic story. Okay. Fine. Just friggin' say that next time SEGA.