Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    http://www.andriasang.com/galleries/2011/07/29/sonic_generations_ps360_screens/2132456569_full.jpg

So that's how they are going to do the whole path crossing, I wonder if you can jump to either of the sides in that shot.

And I love this Eggmanland vibe I'm getting from this level, I doubt I'm the only one who thinks that.

*EDIT* the [​IMG]

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    Hey guys, I just thought of something. All the badniks in Sonic Colors, are from the zones in Sonic Generations. Crabmeat, motobug, spinna, etc. Every zone we know about, the badniks from those zones appeared in Sonic Colors.

Similarly, every zone we know about in Sonic Generations also appeared in this video Sega put out to celebrate Sonic's history: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BBdbNdimXE

Now the thing people notice about that video is that it also features a bunch of zones that we're pretty sure are NOT in Sonic Generations, such as Palmtree Panic.

Why am I bringing all this up? Because, at one point, Sonic Colors had pata-bata in it, a badnik from Palmtree Panic:

[​IMG]

We know that, in Sonic Generations on the consoles, there will be "something" which takes the place of the Special Stages. In sonic colors, we had the sonic simulator, which contained short mini-acts where-in completing every "act" in a "zone" netted you a chaos emerald. Several of these acts were pulled straight from sonic 1 - green hill zone, marble zone, spring yard zone, labyrinth zone, star light zone, and scrap brain zone all had their first acts represented in the sonic simulator. You unlocked these acts by finding red rings, which were hidden in the normal stages. These red rings are also in generations.

There is a "Genesis" option in Sonic Generations, the purpose of which we do not yet know. In addition to the zones we know are in Sonic Generations that we saw in the 20th anniversary video, they also show 14 other zones not present. 14/2 = 7, the number of chaos emeralds.

To tie this all together, I think pata-bata's presence in Sonic Colors is evidence that all the zones we saw in the 20th anniversary WILL be in Sonic Generations, but not as full zones, but rather as mini-zones in the Genesis option. Namely, I'm willing to bet money that Palmtree panic will be explicitly a zone in Sonic Generations, via the Genesis option, and that Pata-bata himself will appear in it. I think that, as you gather the red rings in generations, you open up bonus mini zones under the Genesis option, which take place from previous sonic games. For every 2 acts you beat, you get an emerald.

3. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    The viability of that theory is exciting, but I wouldn't want to get my hopes up.

For all we know it'll be something completely different, like the Sonic Colors Simulator, Genesis ROMs, or the S3&K Special Zone. Who knows?

Speaking of special zones, can you image how beautiful Sonic CD's special stages would look with HD graphics in 3D with the Hedgehog engine?

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

To add to the theory, I remember posting about seeing Mosqui in a screenshot back when Colors was first shown off, but I can't find the post. Mosqui is ALSO from palmtree panic.

5. That One Jig

That One Jig

aka RichterSnipes Member
    Somewhere in America
    (Not) Working on My PokéHack
    Wow, that is just gorgeous. The whole level looks to be a great representation of the original. Keep up the good work on the aesthetics SEGA! Although I'm a bit intrigued on how that section will play out. Some of the newer things like the stack of blocks with the extra life and the pairs of moving blocks will take a little bit of observation to get down pat for speedruns.

Concerning the interview, I'm not feeling too good. No 2P Co-Op Tails? Likely no other classic characters? Probably imperfect physics in the final game? These things are all small and certainly won't kill the game. But when I see pictures and watch videos of Classic's gameplay, I can't help but feel like he'll play just like his old self, even when visual evidence doesn't quite prove that. I could get used to the minor differences. And I can't wait for more news and footage of the game. When it gets right down to it, though, I probably won't end up getting the game. Don't take this the wrong way, I've been a major Sonic fan for a long time. I just don't tend to play a lot of games anymore. I'm not great at reflex games, and that's the main vibe I'm getting from Modern's gamestyle. I sure hope everyone has fun with it!

I know this has already been discussed, but I don't recall recall any certain answers. How exactly will the Chaos Emeralds work in the game? I know they'll be obtained through cutscenes, but does anyone have any ideas on how they'll be distributed? There's nine main levels and several boss levels to take into account. Will they be collected moreso later on? Will they be evenly distributed? It'll be a shame if you have to wait until a major boss or, please no, Time Eater, for the game to go like "You look screwed, take these Chaos Emeralds we've been hiding from you until this one moment." I know that it would still feel the same gameplay wise regardless, but it would be nice to sense some sort of progression by having them be collected one by one. And can anyone confirm if there will be different sets of Emeralds for Classic and Modern Sonic, or will they share the same collection?

Sorry if those last questions were already discussed twice to death in your guys' eyes!

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

There is no confirmation that the emeralds will be gained through cutscenes, and in fact there is evidence quite contrary. A while back, a sega source claimed that there was something which would take the place of the special stages from the classic games.

Read my above theory.

7. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    The red rings could unlock Boss Keys (or whatever it was)?

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

After all the backlash from Sonic Unleashed? I severely doubt that.

9. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Yeah, not only do I like Cooljerk's theory the most, but so far it seems to be the most viable aside from a light rehash not at all analogous to the meat of the game.

10. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I thought it was something with more susbtance. The first is inherited from Sonic Unleashed and the second I assume it has to be with the animation before the title screen, but I can't see that much of a comparision.

That extra-life there just confirms the bitchness of the place.

11. That One Jig

That One Jig

aka RichterSnipes Member
    Somewhere in America
    (Not) Working on My PokéHack
    Wow, I kind of feel like a retard. Then again, when I was composing my post yours wasn't up yet.

I would absolutely LOVE for that theory to be true. Being able to relive even small moments of all those stages shown in the 20th anniversary video would be great, especially if they were used to get the Chaos Emeralds. I'd be tickled pink if SEGA was to actually do that. The evidence falls neatly into place, though. Please be right, it sounds like you've put a lot of thought into that theory. I just want to play through any amount/version of Quartz Quadrant with a modern interpretation so bad!

12. serpx

serpx

First off, that fail of rolling shouldn't be in the game in the first place. Did the developers not play the game? Who gave Sonic's rolling the go-ahead, seriously? The game looks beautiful, but I feel like the developers standards are not as high as they should be -- they need to be further critical about things. They'll never launch a game with 9.0s if they cannot be as or more critical than their own fans.

The best developers that I know of not only know their fans, and are just as much critics and sometimes attempt to be worse.

13. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    What boils my bladder about that statement is the example of ramps that Sonic needs to launch from just-so. We know from the demo that when Sonic DOES need to launch from a ramp just-so, the designers just script the damn things so that he launches as they want him to regardless of speed. This is a weird case of one of the game's flaws totally blowing the excuse for another of the game's flaws out of the goddamn sea.

14. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    So does anyone know the status of the rumoured PC version? as I would really rather pick this up for PC for 60fps high resolution glory :D

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, that's insane. It shows again that they're doing their homework.

It really is a shame about the excuse they've given (or rather, they were given) for the scripted ramps in Classic Sonic's gameplay. Sure, if they remove the scripts they'll have to change the geometry of each ramp a little, so their inclination matches the direction that Sonic should get launched at... But shouldn't they have done precisely that instead of tweaking each of the scripts they had to add? That's the whole point of those ramps and something they should have taken into account from the beginning

At this point, that's the only thing I find inexplicably lazy and gets a thumbs down from me. Luckily, there's so much good stuff in there that will make that annoyance less relevant (specially once people starts editing the final version).

16. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

So the fact the 99.9% complete game has no programming for Chaos Emeralds being a place-able item, and no references to them at all in any of the object definition files that list objects for every possible stage in the game don't mention them either, while those files also list every single stage in the game and there is no references to any outside stages as well counts as "evidence quite contrary"?

Also, we totally have no idea what the "Genesis" thing could possible be.

Code (Text):
    1.   <Category>
    2.     <Name>Genesis Emulator????????</Name>
    3.     <Stage>
    4.       <Type>Genesis</Type>
    5.       <Name>Genesis Emulator</Name>
    6.     </Stage>
    7.   </Category>

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Was it confirmed whats in the genesis emulator? I have a bad feeling that it may be like brawl's emulator where you can play only 1-2 minutes of each game then it tells you to go buy a full version via PSstore or 360 marketplace.

Also, does anyone have an alternate link to those shots? the site you guys keep linking has 404'd. :(

18. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

All the scripted ramps are broken anyway. All you have to do is jump right before you hit the script and you can pretty much go as high as if the script didn't exist. The only part that's ACTUALLY breaking is the part before the spiral. (You either fall through the floor, go crazy, or prevent the background from loading. Usually the background one though.)

Besides, both the Spin-Dash and Jump are borked.

EDIT:

Glitched.
    Original.

19. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    So far there has been no official confirmation from SoA or SoJ, but there's plenty of evidence pointing towards the PC version happening, the biggest of it is Sega Spain confirming it as one of the platforms, followed by its presence on the Steam registry as "Sonic Generations beta"

20. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    This just made me think of something; what if SEGA made their own hack, specifically for this game? Or made some kind of in-game level editor for certain classic stages, with said edits using an emulator to run them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.