don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Wait. You mean I didn't read an article where it was stated that he had interest in a Chaotix sequel? Well until said article is found again (unless I truly am imagining reading such a thing), I'll stay quiet on said matter.

As for that Webber interview....

"Aaron: But a key element like rolling for example, to change that drastically now would mean that they would have to redesign and test every single level, every single move to make sure this change in the roll doesn't break something. Like maybe he's supposed to go off this ramp in a certain way and he ends up overshooting it greatly. In this late of the stage in development, a change that small could break the whole game. Like taking one brick from the bottom of a wall you're building, it could make the whole foundation crumble."

Gee, excuses and PR double talk. I thought we were over that? Apparently not. And the fact that the demo is the most recent build worries me. Maybe they should have designed a proper level so that we wouldn't have to have scripted ramps. But no, where's the logic in that? There'd have to be effort put forth that way.

I want them to give me a reason to look forward to this again.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This bothers me to no end. The engine is in place to playclosely to the classic games, but instead they override it with scripted events because the levels aren't designed to work with the physics. It's really disappointing/

3. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    "That's like when someone on Neogaf, they posted a video in which they changed the value by 1 and it changed the roll dramatically, but even he said it would probably break the game on other levels.

Aaron – Exactly."

It's not all PR double talk and excuses. He has a point; if someone fucked up with the rolling it's too late to fix it now, unless they delay the game ridiculously to fix up every damn thing that had to do with rolling. So you really shouldn't be hating on Webber as much as asking why the Dev team decided it would be a good idea to make Sonic feel like he's Velcro.

Now THAT I can agree with. If the E3 version, a later build, felt better than the newer build, then.. What the FUCK SEGA? Unless taking out some data like City Escape's music and levels did something to the programming, then either RubyEclipse is mistaken or SEGA's going BACKWARDS in productivity. Also, he said the download was a more recent build, yet the leaked information was because the Demo was a later build... Zuh?

"scripts GAME RUINED." Oh well, sometimes scripted events used in moderation aren't all that bad and save time. That one part with Sonic running down the hill kinda needed a script in the first place, and the loops probably are scripted because you're now in a 2.5D environment where you can easy break the game if you jump at an incorrect time when on top of the loop. I'm sure no company wants to spend hours of programming to emulate an exploit that happened in a past game just to please some people... Especially if it's not that important.

All in all, kinda sucks that SEGA didn't release a demo of Generations' classic gameplay earlier into development. They fixed his uncurling like the fans pleaded, but his rolling physics are doomed... Oh well, at least the levels work with Classic's controls.

4. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I remember reading some of the level design experts on here saying something to that same effect where changing things like the rolling was concerned, actually. It doesn't seem that far fetched a reason not to change things to me, lest we end up with last big anniversary's main title all over again…

5. GuetaMinute

GuetaMinute

Didn't that Polygon Jim fellow say the same thing about the rolling physics and how the game would break and etc?

I actually thought the demo was older than the E3 build. Probably thanks to some shitty misleading info. Sucks that they can't fix the whole rolling thing but I don't think it'll ruin the game. At least, not for me.

6. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

There is an interview yes but why do you say the setup of Colours resembles Chaotix?

7. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    5 main zones with multiple acts and the animated brochure in the Tropical Resort trailer.

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This is what people thought based on some visual differences between early footage, e3 footage, and the demo. I can't recall for sure, but I think it was some minor HUD thing or level design difference or something like that.

9. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    It was him exactly, actually. It's usually Jim since he's so damn awesome with this stuff :v:

10. GuetaMinute

GuetaMinute

Most likely level design difference. For example, in the trailer, after the corkscrew bridge, you would pass half a loop (not sure how else to describe it) and you would only go up one spring instead of the multiple springs in the demo. Also, the floating wooden platform was replaced by the bee badnik. I suppose it's not as facile as simply jumping on the platform, so I rather preferred that minor change in the demo.

11. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

That was actually a video edit. It's hard to see but if you look close enough, you can see it.

12. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
  13. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Oh god, you can fall down the sides of the thing!

Waiting eagerly for that reveal trailer, SEGA.

14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I can't wait to skip it too. = P

15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    So Chemical Plant has a melt down, there's new sections with waterfall rivers of Mega Mack (I consider it both the blue and pink stuff), Sonic can run on Mega Mack, and the tubes are back, and now glass.

HNNNNNN-that section is going to be a bitch because of how Classic Sonic jumps. Better do the math in advance. :specialed:

16. GuetaMinute

GuetaMinute

That section with the rising Megamack used to give me nightmares as a child who barely had the gaming skills to get through the first Act of CPZ. I was so bad, but that's probably because I was doin it wrong and trying to blow right through the stages similar to the Adventure games (my first Sonics, I'm ashamed of admitting this but please don't make it harder for me than it already is, lol) as opposed to carefully platforming AND running. I truly was awful.

Don't worry, I've beaten Sonic 2 (as well as 3 and K and the first one) several times by now, obviously it's not a rare feat but it would have been for kid-me ten years ago.

17. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Here we go again. Ruby Eclipse really should get into politics, he could go far.

Same excuses we got last time. "Giving feedback back to Sonic Team" is about as genuine as a letter to Santa. They've already decided how the game will play, our input means nothing. Just as his statements about momentum based gameplay and faithful physics in Sonic 4 were a myth, the same on this game it seems.

18. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    It's awesome because
    they're literally explaining why the Megamack rises randomly throughout the level in the modern sonic version
    . God damn.

19. GuetaMinute

GuetaMinute

I totally called the melt down, lol.

Won't be bothered to look for the post. Is it just me or do we get to venture inside the loops and runways in CPZ as Modern Sonic? In one of the pics, he seems to be pushed by the flood of either water or megamack inside a small tunnel which to me looks like its the inside of the runways.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2011/07/29/sonic_generations_ps360_screens/2132456561/

EDIT Found it. Can't insert img for some reason

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    Yup

you know what else is gonna be incredible? Going through those tubes from Sonic 2 that took you to several parts of the stage as Modern Sonic. Modern Sonic is already cinematic as fuck, and those tubes were basically the 2D equivalent. I expect to get goddamn vertigo from how fucking crazy they'll be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.