don't click here

Microsoft to buy Skype

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Mad Echidna, May 10, 2011.

1. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/microso...becomes-offici/

I can only hope that Microsoft sticks to their promise to support "Non Microsoft platforms", but they of course can change that policy at any time. Skype was already neglecting the Linux and Mac versions before this happened.

To anyone worried about the future of Skype on their Mac, Linux PC, iPhone, or Android device, all I have for you is this:

[​IMG]

2. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    This probably means Skype will be removed from PSP and won't be in NGP.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
  4. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    ...with regard to the comic, is there a free technology VoIP platform? If not, then that's... well...

5. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
  6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    A huge problem with Skype is that the Windows version is pretty much the only build that features everything, yet there is still no consistent functionality and appearance for Mac and Linux? This would be best sorted out, but then again, Microsoft bought it.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    "Microsoft Skype" has a much better ring to it than "Windows Live Messenger" or whatever they call it these days.

I don't know why people don't just come together to agree on an instant messaging standard tbh. Pidgin is compatible with SEVENTEEN different chat networks by default. We don't need that many in 2011.

8. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    http://www.jabber.org/

'nuff said.

9. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I can't wait for ads within Skype.

10. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Or it being integrated into Live? Skype Live! (in before a complete protocol change to force everybody to move there)

Though I'm not sure if forcing Skype into Live would be such a smart business move, coming to think on it... People using Skype on non-Microsoft platforms may be a pretty good source of income, after all. Maybe they'll just add Skype support to Live rather than merging it.

11. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Oh well, it's better than fucking Faecesbook obtaining it.

Don't see the gigantic problem to Microsoft getting it though, considering it's fucking everywhere, it's kinda hard to make it Windows only.

12. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
  13. Well it is a portable system. Kinda like them letting Rare put games on Nintendo handhelds, must be a similar case.

14. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Well, that makes sense I guess. Windows Mobile goes against iPhone and Android, not against DS/3DS and PSP/NGP, so they really lose nothing by letting PSP support continue.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Maybe its going to be a disney with marvel like-deal. Microsoft buys the company but lets skype still do its own thing including letting them still support PSP, Mac & iPhone, and Linux.

Thats the only way I can think of Microsoft letting skype still support outside products.

16. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It would be logical for Microsoft to support other OS because if you think about it they would be killing of revenue from people that don't use Windows.

17. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Maybe they'll make it so that the next version of Windows Live Messenger can communicate with Skype.
    I'd consider making the switch if the next version of WLM also reverted everything back to the way it all worked in the 2009 version. Fuck WLM 2011.

18. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    That sounds like the most likely scenario to me. If they completely swallow up Skype, they'll have some big press either way. It would be "Microsoft kills non Windows Skype clients" or "Microsoft concedes defeat and offers software for Android and Linux".

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttt

I give it two years tops before the only active Skype platforms are Windows, Windows Mobile, and the Xbox family. Oh well, Skype was nice while it lasted.

20. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    One can't help but wonder what this means for Qt on Windows Mobile. Despite the Nokia deal Microsoft still has not announced any intentions to support Qt on Windows Phone 7, so they're going to have to either make the Phone client from scratch, or embrace Qt after all.

But yeah, I agree with OL, look what happened in the past with companies like Hotmail and Danger. Hotmail was running just fine on FreeBSD servers, but they insisted on moving everything to Windows, even though they had to buy more hardware due to the added overhead of Windows. And of course <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_(company)" target="_blank">Danger</a> was forced to ax their own OS in favor of Windows CE. Danger was staffed in part by former Be. engineers by the way, adding an extra layer of irony to the whole thing.