don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I love that model and the way he moves. It's not that I don't like how modern Sonic looks in the most recent games, but Classic looks infinitely more appealing to me, and when he appeared in the trailer I couldn't help but restore my faith in SEGA. They could have tried adding the windmill feet for extra points, though.

After seeing this, I really don't get why they ditched old Sonic for Sonic Adventure onwards. Thing is, that old Sonic isn't only cool, but fun to watch as well, like an old classic cartoon.

Yeah, they really put some attention into it resembling the old Sonic, spines perspective and all:
    [​IMG]

Really? Source?

2. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    Generally speaking I don't think it's because they ran out of time or anything, especially based on how they do their CG; start with simple shapes and get the basics down and then detail it more and more. It seems like a direct design & aesthetic choice and most likely hints at some element of the game. However, for what that element is, I have no idea.

It could be a story-point or a gameplay-point or anything really. Hell, for all we know like how Colors is a direct sequel to Unleashed, this could be a direct sequel to Colors. I mean, I know the irony of a game that before-it was all about Color powers and now this game shows the colors being drained from the world...

But it could imply so many things. A stage creator? Is Eggman trying to erase the past? Does the game take place in memories or a dream? Are the Sonic duo bringing color back to the world? Is this a virtual reality simulator like the one in Colors? It looks very intentional and leads me to believe that it is a HUGE for what this game is about, but it is very hard to read into.

The Sonic Unleashed teaser showed the difference between light and day and Sonic and Werehog. The Sonic Colors teaser showed alien planets and the Wisps. So then this teaser shows classical Sonic and modern Sonic and a world that looks like it's fading out... The question comes, what does it mean?

3. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Possibly, given the fanbase's tendency to microanalyze every detail.

See, they accurately predicted that someone would notice and give enough of a damn to take a screenshot and show it around.

4. Rokkan

Rokkan

Dunno if this was posted already, but the model seems to be really closely based off this blueprint:

[​IMG]

So it's pretty classic, because as far as I know this is the reference made for Sonic 1.

I'm pretty scared of what if this game turns out to be not really good, so I'm trying not to build hype for it, although it's hard considering it's fucking classic Sonic, which is a feeling I'm pretty sure everyone here have it too. I wonder if classic Sonic will have that Unleashed/Colors sort of gameplay, that'll be just extremely weird and misfitting. Classic Sonic with boost what.

5. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    Seems like SEGA is going to reveal more details about the game in the next few weeks. They also don't deny a Wii version but say to wait for more info in upcoming weeks.

Also, something just hit me (pure speculation). SEGA talked about how they wanted to create a more streamlined Sonic story, not a very dark one or anything but titles that go into each other more. So... And bare with me on this... Doesn't it seem like Eggman has been getting more and more frustrated with his failures? At the end of Unleashed, Eggman was getting really frustrated at Sonic to the point of being darker than most of the rest of the game and showing more anger than we usually see. In Colors, he was acting to make up for his past deeds, and towards the end of the game the main development with Eggman was how his plans never succeed. Orbot and Cubot made great point of this, and Eggman more spoke in a tone of "It's been like this, but it ends here!" And of course the whole thing where Eggman says he has his next scheme already planned at the end of Colors.

So, with Classic and Modern Sonic both appearing, past locales, and a fading world, while not the most unique plot in the world, I am going to take a guess Eggman is going to try and wipe the past from history to create his own future. I don't know why, but this sounds very likely to me... I mean, in Unleashed he tried to destroy the world and create his own empire continent. In Colors, he made an amusement park from several planets to brain-wash people to obey him and build his empire. Since time likely plays a role here, maybe now he is trying to replace the past to create his own future empire, kind of like an ala' Sonic CD?

I don't know, bu it sounds somewhat likely to me.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Go watch some Sonic Colors cutscenes. Sonic blinks in them, and his eyelids are fur-colored.

Infact, I'll bring it to you!

EDIT: Wait...I just realized that you must be talking about Sonic blinking specifically in this trailer. I'll leave this here though, just incase you weren't.

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Yeah, I was talking about the trailer only. Otherwise we wouldn't even be complaining about eyelids =P

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    He does blink, very very slightly I think. If I could download the actual video and step through it frame by frame I could see for sure, but I think the modern Sonic lowers his eyelid for a split second when he lands.

Actually, he very clearly blinks when he looks at the Classic Sonic. So yea.

9. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I remember the Eggman personality topic we had a while ago, it seemed one aspect of modern Eggman is he wants attention and throws his ego around everywhere - Eggmanland, a place devoted to himself, statues of himself, enormous machines people cannot help but notice (Heroes anyone?) so while destroying everything and / or time itself is a sure way to get to power, whats the point if no-one is there to worship him? Unless he is, as you say, making his new Empire in the resulting time related chaos. That would be cool, and the first time except Sonic CD and 06 time has been used as a big plot element (unless I've missed something there).

10. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    For me, it's the other way around. I can't see the classic one as Sonic, no matter how much I try.

At least it resembles the US one more than it does the JPN one. Always thought the JPN was lacking in the "attitude" department.

11. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I fucking love it. We get super sonic playable in all levels and someone has to bitch about it. now, for some reason (God blesses us), hell freezes over and we get to see classic sonic again, and someone bitches about it. Jesus H. Christ. If I was Sonic Team I would have blown my head off years ago.

On topic, I am curious as to what their ploy is with this. It's not unheard of companies redesigning their characters after years. It would be nice to see him classic again, modern sonic gets kind of...bleh. I also disagree completely that he looks like shit in 3D. I think it's because we're so used to seeing him 2d, and modern in 3d.

12. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
  13. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I don't particular mind the nose, but indeed smaller and he looks cuter, but damn toning down the eyebrow ridge and it looks so, so much better.

Modern Sonic got a better deal out of this as well. His eyebrow ridge and that thing between them has significantly decreased in volume from his Colours model it seems. The stomach got rounder too, though it's still not a perfect circle. Not sure about the spines, they do seem sharper and straighter (but he's running so), though lenght is still too much imo. But they're gradually changing it for the better imo. At this point, only the spines irritate me.

14. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Note the way Sonic's blinking in those images. Instead of shutting an eyelid, his pupils do... something.

That said, not quite sure what he's getting at either. Pupil-blinking is atrocious and never should have been invented.

15. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Seriously calling bullshit on this notion that classic Sonic wasn't made for 3D. These guys weren't made for 3D, whereas Sonic is so simplistic in design that you can create a rudimentary clone using the basic primitives in any 3D application within a matter of minutes- two spheres, four cylinders, four tapered half-cones. The only complex geometry is in his spines, hands and facial features, the latter two having no real impact on his overall form. The orthographic Rave posted just goes to show how airtight his design was from the very beginning. I wonder why we never thought to complain of his design in S3DB, X-treme or any number of promotional 3D renders classic Sonic received over the years, let alone all the context specific sprites for rotating barrels, special stages, and especially corkscrew loops that showcased his figure in exceedingly complex orientations?

I'm hearing a lot of talk of forced perspective in the spines, and I'm skeptical as to whether the perspective was ever forced in the Japanese art. Forced orientation, sure; he was only ever showcased in profile and ¾ views because that's where his silhouette is strongest, but the spines always looked to have been logically placed to me. And even if they weren't, I'd wager that was more the fault of the artist rather than a conscious stylistic decision. The spines are complex forms, and these people were illustrators, not industrial design draftsmen. Nothing would've been lost in drawing them correctly.

Longer spikes? Makes for a more streamlined appearance, sure. The way he runs? Swinging his arms is less lively than holding them back like a retard? Extra color contrast in the eyes? A design sensibility that has no relevance to form. If black eyes worked in 2D, they'll work just as fine in 3D.

I do not consider Polygon Jim's photoshop to be an improvement.

16. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Nor should you, the model isn't bad as it is. I made the edit to call Dude a dumbass, because the design this trailer uses is nothing close to the Sonic R title screen like he stated.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I pointed out before that he's got elements of the American design, I still think it's only that. Elements. He resembles the original Japanese design much more. Spherical not ovoid body, cuteness over coolness and most importantly he's got a full head of spikes instead of a mohawk. It's a middle ground that leans more to one side than the other. And the outcome is quite brilliant indeed. They also seem to be using colours most similar to Sonic 1/CD- light blue and pinker skin.

Only thing I'm not seeing is how he looks awkward in 3D. They just need to make his leg movements look good in actual gameplay.

EDIT: Only just noticed that M.Sonic is lightly textures but C.Sonic completely retains his smooth and solid colour style. Nice touch.

18. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I personally really like the Classic Sonic model, and think it fits well into the new gen environment and style (then again I'm not hard to please sometimes).

If Classic Sonic wasn't made for 3D then I'm not sure what to think of all those zany 3D-esque gimmicks in Emerald Hill, Angel Island, Launch Base, etc. Even by S3K SEGA loved making 3D (pre-renders?) of Sonic in S3K. :v:

Why did nobody comment on this? It's hilarious

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Because a better one was already provided by 4chan with a better font, placement and without the annoying url plug.

And I honestly don't see what people mean about classic Sonic not being designed for 3D. It's absurd to make that claim but Ritz pretty much summed everything up. I can see that it was redesigned to fit the modern demographic, but to say it was because pudgy wouldn't look good in the THIIIIIRD DIMENSION contradicts all the promotional images, and in game visuals we've seen before.

20. Ravi Singh

Ravi Singh

Los Angeles, CA
    The Snake Soup
    Am I the only one who noticed this?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.