don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Classic Release thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Will the previous save data be able to work on the next revision? Because I'm still stuck on Death Egg due to the level not loading.

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    yep. You might want to redownload, since the initial download had a loading error. But yes, no save game data will be affected.

3. dsrb

dsrb

I take it the timer issues (no time over, counts down from 0:46 after a special/bonus stage) will be fixed; what about the fact that rings are retained after a special stage?

4. DM Ashura

DM Ashura

Oldbie
    Atlanta, GA
    Sonic Gemini
    Got all the way to Robot Rave Zone. Great gameplay, great bosses.

Got a Game Over, went to my savegame. Found I started back at Hazel Hill Zone. It didn't save my progress. At all.

Said “Fuck that” and shut the game off. Lost interest.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Honestly though...Sonic 1 and 2 didn't have saves either. What's the big deal?

6. DM Ashura

DM Ashura

Oldbie
    Atlanta, GA
    Sonic Gemini
    There's a big difference between having no save function and having a save function that doesn't save.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I suppose. I just figured that everyone would know by now that the save function isn't working right, and wouldn't expect it to work for them.

8. DM Ashura

DM Ashura

Oldbie
    Atlanta, GA
    Sonic Gemini
    I found a bug, I posted it. I didn't feel like wading through 20-something pages to see if others had posted the same problem yet.

Once it's fixed though ... this is going to be an awesome game.

(Though, I will say ... one suggestion I'd have for an actual change ... the slightly annoying roulette bonus stage where you can keep going forever until you're trying desperately to get a Goal ... I'd suggest either putting some Goals on the sides, or making one of the prizes turn into a Goal after you've gotten it once or twice.)

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I wasn't criticizing you, relax. No need to validate your reasons for posting a bug, especially since my post wasn't even directed specifically at you.

10. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I've not got a game over...but other that that my save feature has worked perfectly fine. Over 20 lives at luster lake 2

11. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    No, because you're taking that risk of going into the roulette game. That's the point. You have a choice not to enter it.

As for the save feature. It works for some, and others not. I have a solution, but Im still waiting for game breaking bugs to be dealt with.

12. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Got the last emerald earlier today. Loving how Super Sonic is in this game.

13. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    I beat the game as both Tails and then Sonic, I gotta say I really enjoyed the focus on platforming. The game ran perfect for me other than an occasional minor glitch here and there.

I did have problems unlocking the secrets though. Level select unlocked fine, but the first three didn't start unlocking untill I had around 50 challenges beat and the 75 and 90 challenge ones still won't unlock (I curently have around 90 challenges beat). Hazel Hills Act 1 Badnik Challenge is also unbeatable. If you complete it, the game will not mark it as complete. Also, I think the collect all rings challenge is way too much of a pain and practically impossible for a challenge. Perhaps you could switch it with a score attack challenge?

I'm looking foward to REV01, keep up the great work!

14. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Kinda disappointed that despite having all the emeralds when beating the last boss and viewing the credits, I didn't get the "Beat the Game" secret. But all in all it was a very good game, so I decided to play through the game again with Knuckles getting the emeralds XD

15. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    You have to quit the game during the credits to get the "Beat the Game" secret. It tripped me up too.

16. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Makes sense, considering the other save features issues people have had...thanks for the info ^^

17. corneliab

corneliab

On a whim, I decided to hook up a Logitech controller and give this game another shot (when I initially downloaded it I only played the first zone).

Man oh man this game is good- playing it using a controller makes all the difference. The physics are awesome and the stage design is excellent (and unprecedentedly "considerate" for a fangame- very few bullshit areas aside from sections of Luster Lake).

Goddamn I'm just having a blast here- this is definitely one of the best things I've seen come out of Retro recently. Are you still planning on including the Sonic 1 stages eventually?

18. dsrb

dsrb

On that note, can anyone advise on what types of controllers work, how to set them up, etc.? My Saitek P220 didn't seem to register at all, and for some reason I couldn't get its arrow keys to work with Joy2Key (perhaps a WINE issue).

19. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Glovepie works fine for me. It's what I used to test the game before I scurried and released it.

20. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Concerning the Sonic 1 Stages, I've been wondering about a couple things Hez:

1) If you go to the Time Trials before you beat the levels, the Sonic 1 Level Names will show. After you beat the game, the proper level names from this game show.

2) In the Level Select, the Sonic 1 Stages are shown, but when you choose one the "NO WAY!" screen shows up, except that it reads something like "this expansion is not available". After the screen pops up, the game subsequently force quits. Hez, didn't you say something about having the Sonic 1 stages as extra add-ons or something later on?