don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    *jumps on the bandwagon* :P

2. Megafan

Megafan

I'd have to agree with Zemulli, it seems like the project isn't really a "community project" anymore. If it isn't, it shouldn't be called that.

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Oh boy!

Here we go again!

Drop it already. They don't care.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I hate to sound like a bug but....

Are we getting a guide to develop art to your guidelines or aren't we? If yes, when? If no, does that mean you don't want anyone to even attempt to make inclusion-ready artworks?

Zemulli is often rude with the way he picks apart responses and such but I do have to agree with him here. It's an exceedingly simple question that is oddly ignored anytime a staff member posts in this topic.

5. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    I agree, I've noticed for a while that no-one has bothered to respond to this. Even if you don't know yet whether there will be a guide or not, say that you don't know! Or if you DO know then tell us :P

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Throwing the same question in again.

Are you going to offer a guide for the new style. Yes or no?

You can't say the reason is because no one followed the guides. It's been stated that the art style made a drastic change sometime last year, but the community was never informed of such a change. So whatever was contributed between that time frame was useless. And to be perfectly honest, what little guides there were before this change were far from helpful or informative.

I can understand wanting consistency in the art and doing touch ups once it reaches the established art team, but outright ignoring the people who do want to contribute and want to use the new method to make your job easier is absurd. If you don't want to do that then just answer the question.

Yes or no?

That's all they're asking.

And I'm pretty sure they don't want a large paragraph saying maybe.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    At the very least, submissions that are close to your guidelines but aren't quite there would require minimal touch-ups, no? Depending on the submission format, of course.

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    To be honest I think the team just wants to lock-out everyone at this point and complete the game themselves. The latest build uses virtually all of their own private work. This game stopped being a community project a long time ago. This is why the team are dodging your questions.

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Yes, we've all figured that out a long time ago.

People outside the team want to know if they're willing to provide information to be bigger contributors to the project than just random passers-by.

10. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    That doesn't mean they can't answer a simple yes/no question as to whether there will be guidelines for art submission after the alpha release...

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    As far as I'm aware the staff want concept art for inspiration and fresh ideas so they could apply it to their final work if they wanted to. I don't think anyone here except the staff is going to see their finalised work in the game so learning the art direction is going to be a bit pointless. This is something that I'm sure the staff have explained many times before in the past but seems to get ignored, or not understood.

12. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    But surely if we have a general direction they we can match the style better with concepts so that they are more relevant to the final designs

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Someone just wants a simple answer.

Guide? Yes or no?

14. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Then why are people asking for contribution submission guidelines for a project to which they cannot contribute.

If this is true that is selfish, unfair and elitist. If I were an artist I would not accept those conditions. Some staff members need to wade in here and clarify but if the submission requirements are that work is to be uncredited and used as inspiration for other artists then you should all give a collective fuck you to that.

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    They did and you lot didn't listen. CK did this last month.

There is your answer right there. I've been aware of it for months, why can't some of you get that into your heads.

16. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Because the art direction has since changed without the community being informed of the change or the new direction so it's impossible to follow this new style. Besides which, the people requesting the guide for the new style are the ones who were constantly following the style in the first place (I.e. MaximusDM, Zemuli, Sonica, etc.) when others weren't, so your point is invalid for this situation... The point is that even if they weren't following the style before, they are more than willing to do so now and it would be beneficial to the whole project if there was a guide that allowed them to contribute ideas and concept art in the NEW art style!

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    I give up, it's like talking to brick walls in here.

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Pot, meet the kettle.

The art direction was not ignored repeatedly. People submitted their art and they followed it as closely as they can. Whether that was up to the staff's standards that was them to decide, but a majority of the contributors did their best to help out. The problem before was that there never was a real consistent art style to follow. The closest they came was this barely useful guide that's now outdated. It doesn't cover anything else. All the other guides are about using tools in programs. Basic stuff that people should already know. They've now mentioned that they've established an art style for ALL of the artwork, not just badniks, and people are interested in following the style that the staff has finally decided on. They want to know how to achieve this new art style.

Is it really such a bad thing that people want to help as much as possible?

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Chimpo I can see where you and where others are coming from but the staff have said that they will be doing all the final art from now on. So wanting to have guides for non staff isn't going to make any real difference to contributors artwork or make them finalised for the game. All contributors art is only going to be used as a base for the final staff art. I can sense the pride that people want to put into their art and to see it in this remake but you must let it go because it's no longer in the community hands anymore. That's the message that got through to me last year when it was said this was now a closed community project.

20. zemulii

zemulii

Well exactly. So is it a community project if that's the case? Why the confusion? We've got a community forum for a closed project. When all it really seems to need is an area for fans and maybe an "ideas" thread. Otherwise, if that's not the case, then where is our guide? The concept thing might have been marginally acceptable if the artists had any clue what was actually happening with their work...

Look at all these art threads that we have no need for anymore. All we need is General, and Concept Workbench. The rest are pretty much obsolete ;).
    That's pretty much what reeeally irritates me about CK's comments. I mean change the direction of the project? Sure, if you think that's best. But don't blame everyone else for it and try and make the same community that tried to help you look bad.
    I really try not to be. I often go back and edit out part of my posts on re-reading and realising that it was going a bit far... But heck, it's frustrating. I just can't help it. Anyway, at least we might get an answer now :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.