don't click here

In-game continuity errors?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheLazenby, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Gerald's old prison cell (the same one they stick Sonic in) is covered in techno-gibberish writing and drawings (Amy even points it out), and if I'm not mistaken, Sonic X shows Gerald operating some sort of computer terminal inside it. Seems to me it's implying he was screwing with Shadow's head and the Eclipse cannon remotely from there, before he was executed.

The fact that (both halves, pre-Eclipse Cannon startup) the Ark was able to be disguised so well as a moon-like rock orbiting the Earth also gives credence to the theory Eggman (or someone else) had access to the type of technology necessary to give the Moon a facelift after blowing half of it off.

Was that necessarily GUN? I thought it was just Station Square's PD in riot gear.

Plus I think things like the giant, over 2-lanes wide and taller than an apartment complex, Semi-Truck they sent tearing through the narrow, hilly, sharply-cornered streets of not-San Fransisco pretty well establishes they're more on the "Extreme Overkill" side of strategy.

yeah....what about it?

2. What's wrong with Heroes, continuity-wise?

It's a pretty simple story and kind of a short game, so I don't see a lot of room for retcons or plot holes.

3. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Quite.
    There are few problems with Heroes beyond the Chaotix's ages and lack of Mighty.
    The stuff about Charmy not recognizing Eggman, we can just chalk up to Charmy being a retard. :specialed:

4. Admittedly though, the last time Charmy saw Robotnik he looked like this:

[​IMG]

And (if you go by Robotnik having the name Robotnik first) later on even changed his name, than you could say he got confused.

Alternatively, the old games are a seperate universe, which I still chose to except as reality. :colbert:

5. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    That was the most awesome thing ever. :specialed:

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Can someone explain the storyline in it without someone blowing up the same machine at the same time as another group, since they repeatedly bumped paths into each other, providing some evidence the storylines were simultainious.

7. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

As Edmund Blackadder would say:

"................................................
    ..........................yes. Yes I can."

The Rashomon effect. Different teams remember themselves destroying the boss on their own because they disporportionately emphasise their own contributions.

The exact same thing happens in SA2 with the character-versus-character bosses, so it's not just a Heroes problem.

(Also, great booze up!)

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    But if they hadn't fought the boss, or otherwise saw another team fighting the boss because they would probably have just engage each other after (especially Team Dark) as proven in the Team vs. Team Fights, then what memories would they have to edit? The winning team ones, I can understand.

9. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

It's the same way that your grandfather assures you that he SINGLE-HANDEDLY won the war for the Allies through daring feats of heroism.
    Hell, if you believe my grandad's stories, he was the Chuck Norris of 1940s Hyderabad, and personally executed every single rioter in Andhra Pradesh during a 2-month period in 1948.
    MEMORY PLAYS CRAAAAAAZY TRICKS WITH YA.

10. They're all copies, at slightly different times.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    So, wait, Sonic Heroes was basically just Sonic telling his granddaughter his adventures, with 'Uncle Shadow' telling a different version, Aunt Amy another and Chaotix writing a book detailing a fourth?...y'know what, sod it, I'm not even gonna try and make sense of it anymore. I'm just gonna go with the Rashomon effect and save me a headache.

In the same undamaged but evidentally done so in the fight arena?

12. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Sonic Heroes was so stupidly embarrassing that it never happened. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :eng101:

13. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    The unfortunately easier route is to just retcon the story of the original Knuckles' Chaotix, since 1) its absence really doesn't affect the core canon of the series as much as Heroes' does 2) I'm quite sure their Heroes iterations were confirmed to not be the same as the original anyway.

14. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    It's also in Sonic Adventure. Did nobody notice that Tails, Knuckles, and Sonic all fought Chaos 4? It's a pretty common element in games that have multiple, interweaving stories. (Soul Calibur 4 is a good example - a game where most of the damn cast fights Algol at the end of their supposedly simultaneous stories).

But here's a real good flub for you: Shadow the Hedgehog. In the level Space Gadget, your Hero mission is to beat Sonic to the Chaos Emerald, or the neutral mission is to let the 5 minute timer run out and then get the emerald. Anyone wonder why you can still get the emerald even though technically Sonic (who is not actually physically in the stage), gets to it first?

Also, the emerald in that stage is the light blue one... which is also powering their little Space Tornado according to the cutscene before the Lost Impact level.

15. Why?

It had a simple story, cartoony checkerboard-soil environments and graphics, special stages, no new characters (and even resurrected old ones), and the villains were Eggman and Metal Sonic.

Where exactly did it go wrong?

16. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    Tell me, what game was Omega in before Heroes?

Granted, it was just one new character...

17. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    [​IMG]

18. gold lightning

gold lightning

There is a small continuity error that might be hard to notice but bothers me a little when I think about it. You see, in SA2 I actually liked Shadow because of the story he had at the time. But as you guys are aware Shadow's revival screwed plenty of things up. In this case it forced something to be dropped from the storyline and that is, Sonic being the ultimate life form! Just hear me out on this. Sonic was born with his speed naturally, while Gerald decided the ultimate life form needed that ability for some reason. Sonic also finds the ability to use chaos control. When Sonic survives the capsule explosion, Shadow is surprised and notices just how much alike they really are. Sonic also apparently had the ability to maintain and leave his super form without using all his energy while Shadow didn't. Also if you're lucky enough during the final boss you'll hear shadow say "Sonic! I think I've figured out who's really the ultimate life form! I-I think it's you!". On top of that, prof. Gerald apparently found some reason why a hedgehog would be a better idea for the ultimate life rather than the biolizard. There are other hints to this in-game, but I can't think of them right now.

However, when Sonic Heroes came out they dropped this and went back to calling Shadow the ultimate life form.

/halfbaselessidea

19. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

I wouldn't get so worked up over the "Ultimate Lifeform" term and who actually gets to 'be' it.

It doesn't actually mean anything; it'll just be a PR term that the Project Shadow scientists cooked up to justify the trillions of Mobius-dollars they were sinking into morally ambiguous biogenetics research.

20. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    In Sonic Adventure, the character lines are different for every story.

I think what happens in SA1 is that the characters, when playing as them, are telling the stories from their points of view, which is why Tails seems like he has cooler lines in his stories and he's the one that fights the big monsters, and why Knuckles imagines Sonic as having more of an attitude than usual. And why Tails doesn't say "Yikes!" in Big's stories when he flops down in front of him for Froggy, the big lunkhead didn't notice.

This might also explain Tails' races as opposed to him following Sonic but what I can't understand is why some of the characters never see the E.G.G. station in the jungle, even after the final boss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.