don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    My computer's malware problem has temporarily disabled my sound devices—what did GameTrailers say to justify the lower rating?

2. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    Mostly saying the controls were bad, they didn't like the story, thought Sonic should remain mute, blahblah.

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Gametrailers has never been a site I can count on for good reviews. Still, their review of Colors made me pretty upset. I'm fairly certain a lot of their problems stem from them just sucking at the game.

4. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    I don't agree with Game Trailers score, but at this point I don't really care since I'm enjoying the game so much. XD;

But yeah, it looks like we'll need to get all 180 Red Rings. Yes every single one. You first unlock something with Red Rings when you collect 40, that's the ability to use Miis. Then every 10 Red rings after that you unlock a stage. You start with 7 of the 21 stages, but then for every 10 Red Rings after that you unlock a stage. So to get them all you need all 180 Red Rings.

5. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    @ Zero-Boom

Oh, then it's all stuff that's confirmed to be bullshit at this point. Right, then, nothing to see here.

@ DuskGolem

Well, I have to say, it's pretty cool seeing Super Sonic make his double-whammy comeback this year. Assuming that is what you get when you get 'em all.

6. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Damn. GameTrailers are sticks-in-the-mud with Sonic games as usual. Guess they decided to trade places with IGN.

Then again, while I don't care for his curmudgeony attitude towards the voices and dialogue—since Sonic and Tails look lively and amusing for a change—the author's complaints about the gameplay seem possibly valid. Maybe Sonic goes too fast and controls too little during the 3D segments, and some of them drop you into some cheap pits if you hold the d-pad a wrong way. Anybody experienced these difficulties? If so, did you care?

I've heard people complain about Sonic Adventure's "awful camera" and "terrible control", come to think of it, and it makes be want to dump a keg of ice-cold piss on them. Those were some of the best parts of the game for me. The way the camera followed you at different angles with each curve and twist of the lovingly-designed stages was wonderful, and I never once had any problems with the controls. They weren't slippery, not too loose, and not to tight. I had no problems playing as any character. Do any of you guys who've played the game feel the same way about Sonic Colors, honestly? I already saw one of you say little about the gameplay and level design but praise the story and characters, and the rest of you simply love the music at least if not love the gameplay. I love Planet Wisp, and that's as far as I care to listen for now. Any more thoughts on where Colors might be faulty?

EDIT: For the record, I think there's some truth to what the GT guy didn't like about the game, but I'm mostly leaning toward the stance that he's making mountains out of mole hills. I've got no reason to think the gameplay's perfect or anything, but as far as this game's content, it's the best and biggest I've seen since Adventure.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
  8. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    What the hell is with GT lately? I'm finding myself disagreeing with them more and more lately, that review was biased as hell.

9. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

That's like Unwiished all over again, that is. Except with GameTrailers instead of IGN.

MegaDash, the controls and camera in Adventure are pretty irritating at times. Not bad, just unpolished as all getout, much like every aspect of Adventure 1, really.

10. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    Does anyone know what that rainbow star is yet? I'm thinking you might unlock it when you get all S-Ranks...

11. corneliab

corneliab

Well, there goes your "unanimously liked" Sonic game.

Don't be surprised to see similar reviews popping out of the woodwork.

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

You mean it isn't the final boss?

I dunno, maybe it's Grandmaster Zone, or something.

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
  14. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    try {
    }

catch(IllegalArgumentException e) {
    System.out.println("What is this I don't even ...");
    System.out.println("Inconsistent much?"); }

finally {
    System.out.println("I'll still get the game, kay thanks bye."); }

To be fair, I have no idea how close the level design from each game is to each other, and that part with the electric spikebot thing and the floating yellow bouncer might be problematic on the first go-through. And that part when you're bounced around in Asteroid Coaster and land on the side of an asteroid before you fall looks like a programming flub, but again, I have no idea.

15. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    *Facepalms at people getting butthurt over the Game Trailers review on another website* Anyone else think crushing despair is a ridiculous reaction when there's 1 negative review to like...7 or 8 positive ones?

16. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I find every aspect of Heroes irritating. I find the overall framework of SA2 mixing up great Sonic and Shadow levels with not-nearly-as-fun Knuckles/Rouge and Tails/Robotnik irritating. I can't say I ever found any aspect of Adventures irritating, other than the fact that Big at the least should never have been in the game. I've seen glitches happened upon a few times in Adventure, but given how I play it, I never encountered one. But if it happens to enough people, that's definitely a fault. I'll give you that. Otherwise I really enjoyed the game, and if Colors is better than that, then I should enjoy it more.

17. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
  18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Also just think about it. 6.4 is the worst score we've seen so far. Sonic Unleashed for the 360 was lucky to get a 6.4 anywhere.

If that's the worse score I see then I'm gonna be pretty happy

19. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Hey, don't look at me. I'm just trying to make a discussion out of it.

20. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK