don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    So. We're getting updates on the game's changes tommorow, AND Lost Labyrinth footage soon? Announcement of an announcement be damned. This could be interresting.

2. 'Bout damn time we knew when things are goin' down.
    Good to hear that the PR is going back into full swing (now that the have stuff to show us that we don't already know about)

Also, lol Flame-sheild :specialed:

3. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    You also forgot to mention that as far as the music goes, they're replacing the extra life tune with the original one from Sonic 1/2...I guess.

4. I'm not so sure.
    I think he was saying "Imagine the 1-up sound effect playing whilst reading the announcement.
    You know what?
    It fits perfectly.

5. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    [​IMG]

Am I the only one who gets a serious Sonic Blast vibe from this shot? I've no idea why, maybe it's the way Sonic's positioned.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Something looks different about Sonic's running animation in that picture. Like his feet are sorta blurry but he's not in wheel-o-feet yet. Maybe it's just the screen shot

7. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Since were talking about music, something like this would have been nice.

Honestly anything beats the cellphone jingles Jun Senoue came up with for this game.

Another pet peeve I hope they fix is Sonic's run animation. It's been said to death many times, but it just looks awkward when Sonic's legs aren't moving like wheels at high speeds.

8. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Sonic Retro was so fun, does it still exist? I remember loving what I played, it had such a perfect Genesis style in it's graphics, music, etc. Is it still around?

9. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    omg Jumping Flash, love the music from this game. rip takeo miratsu :(

Also <3 Retro Sonic.

But I like most of the music from Sonic 4 anyway, just needs to change the synth on some of the songs so it doesn't sound so crowded. That way all the instruments become easier to track, in the current state it's difficult to tell where everything is coming from and just how many instruments there are at play, like some of the Mad Gear/Splash Hill tunes.

But to be honest, I always thought that the fact that they were making this game downloadable only and on 4 different platforms was going to kick them in the butt in some areas. I think since the music has to be encoded in 48khz 16bit wave files it does hinder the total size of the game by a large margin. Not only that, but the music has to then be encoded a second time as a different file to cover the same song with the speed shoes. This explains why all of the game's music (except for the ending) had to be under 1 minute long, because even a 50 second song can be 9mb. I understand that PSN/XBLA doesn't have these size limitations, but there's still a limit for WiiWare and probably the App Store.

But there's no excuse for the choice of instruments as far as I can tell, and changing it would be easy at this point. Overall, the quality of this game would've been improved if they had JUST made it a retail game. Also, without the stupid iPhone port. No one's going to play that shit.

10. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    As far as 1 ups goes, I really wish that instead of using Sonic 3's, this game would have its own, based on the theme music. Oh well.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

When all we had to go on were little shots of Splash Hill, that's the music that kept playing in my head. It just seems perfect for the level.

And yup, the crazy jogging animation is bugging me too. From that one shot where Sonic is running down a hill in LLZ, it looks like it hasn't been fixed either. Can be sure from one screenshot though.

12. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    The Taxman is still working on it slowly behind the scenes, I've been told.

13. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    This.

Oh, and Retro Sonic's Egg Garden music is brilliant.

14. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    It's from Jumping Flash 2.

Any reason why they're using the Sonic 3 1-up jingle?

15. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Heh, for a second there, I thought you were making an under-handed comment about the state of the boards currently. :specialed:

16. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Probably because Senoue composed it.

17. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    It'll be a fucking masterpiece when it's done then! I remember being a scrawny, 16 year old punk when that first demo came out. I'll probably be in a straw operated wheelchair fitted with a piss bag when it's all been finished. By then my hands will be so crippled with arthritis that I won't be able to play it.

Taxman, what you did with Retro Sonic was awesome and I'll happily pay you to finish it!

Anyway, Jumping Flash music just screams Sonic to me. Especially 6-1.

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I doubt money is an issue. However, if we could donate time to Taxman, I certainly would. I remember when I was a wee lad and was just delving into Sonic fan games for the first time. This was back during the days of Sonic Robo Blast and Sonic Brick and such. I was absolutely floored when I discovered Retro Sonic and what a quality project it was. I've been following it enthusiastically since.

But anyway...

19. If I were to take a guess, maybe SEGA are trying to say Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the only way to play Sonic 3, thus that would be using the S&K version, so, the Sonic 3 1-Up would never be heard *fades into shadows*

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    If they indeed are saying this, it makes excluding Sonic & Knuckles on that Genesis collection they put out even funnier.

heh, "we didn't know how to bug test the lock on!" Such bullshit...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.