don't click here

Sonic Free Riders

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tiranno, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I'm surprised no-one here posted about the fact Sonic was swimming in that video. That's just not right. >_>

2. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    I was thinking the same thing.

On the other hand, I hope this game can be played without the kinect, I really wanna play it so badly ;_; but I don't wanna spend 2 hundred bucks on a freaking camera for the xbox

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Stop hoping, it's Kinect only.

4. If it wasn't Kinect only, I'd buy it, but I don't care for Kinect or its price.

I was hoping to be the first to mention Sonic swimming. Darn.

5. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    What the heck?! I thought he was a great successor to the Drum-man. Phooey!

6. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

You do realize Drummond was replaced like 7 years ago, right? He was replaced by Jason Griffith in 2005, and it's Griffith getting replaced.

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Giant Bomb posted a quick look of the game. I haven't watched it yet but it should have plenty of direct feed gameplay footage: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-sonic-...riders/17-3025/
    If you don't know what a quick look is, it's a video where at least 2 people at Giant Bomb play the game and give commentary. The player hasn't played much of the game before doing the quick look most of the time.

EDIT: Aw, it's a Quick Look EX in disguise. Ryan plays the game while the brand manager of Sonic Free Riders gives commentary.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

And now the game looks fun... great. I like the way that you have to switch between goofy and normal to activate different skills. Also, no voices in that demo. Go figure.

9. The gameplay on this looks tighter than I expected for a motion controlled game which is a plus for me, I still pro-grudge having to get Kinect for it though.

10. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Maybe he finally learned? I understand it's tradition, but some things are ok to let go. =P

11. I always thought that he had more of a fear of water than the inability to swim. Although I must admit that hedgehogs are hardly amphibious.

12. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I thought the water already pushed you and you just swam to go a bit faster, like in the first one where Sega asked you to destroy your analog stick during automated bullshit segments.

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    That is exactly the way it works, yes.

14. That doesn't look too shabby! The entire perspective thing was only in the screenshots, or maybe only when you boost. I'm glad they got rid of the HUEG feet and hands. Looking good :)

15. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Oh yeah, SFR looks beautiful in motion, and I can't help but smile every time they trick off the one ramp and sail through a ring of performing dolphins. It's a shame it'll be Kinect-only, but I may actually end up getting it in the spring. My XBOX finally croaked (after 5 or 6 RRODs the graphics card died or something so now I only get sound), so now I'm looking to get the Kinect/Slim bundle during tax season. I'm actually itching to play it now, it seems to have its own mechanics compared to the previous titles that I'm liking so far...

...only I can't help but notice there's no drifting and turning sharper corners looks like a chore. I could understand removing the drifting from Zero Gravity because of...well, the zero gravity, but they couldn't figure out a way to do some motion-based drifting? I bet bending your knees and leaning forward with a hand close to the floor would be a reasonable enough way to control it. To make it a little more challenging, perhaps you couldn't turn a hard left if you weren't already riding goofy, forcing you to switch before the turn.

16. I really wish this game wasn't Kinect-only. So far it's looking like it could be the best in the Riders series, but I don't want Kinect.

Well, that's not true. I don't want to pay for it, and I don't want to be expected to do all those ridiculous movements while doing a hobby that, for the most part, involves remaining stationary. Especially since I wouldn't have enough room.

17. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    This is the reason I like Riders 1 on the PC. No analogstickfaggotry; just hold down <- and -> simultaneously, and POWER MILES AHEAD.

Without that little piece of input scrubbing there's no way I'd have unlocked half the crap I eventually managed. :eng101:

18. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Oh. My. God. I had never thought of that. Thank you, Frozen Nitrogen! :)

19. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    Not interested in Free Riders. Looks like another Sonic '06, get out for console launch (well in this case, Kinect launch), be same old typical cash in 3D Sonic game. I never enjoyed Riders, didn't play Zero Gravity, and I doubt this thing is gonna be different except for making you exhausted.

But hey, opinion's are opinions.

20. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Dubious disclaimer indeed. :\

I'll get it, but not because it looks particularly good. The things the guy siad in the preview play pretty much proved that Free Riders is just gonna be a crude port of the original Riders engine with new levels.
    No, I'll get it because I'm obsessive and have more money than sense. :specialed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.