don't click here

Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Has anyone tried doing the lava yet? If anyone has, please show it. I think it's a good time to have a crack at it now.

Personally. I think they are little strands coming off the main strand.

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Yeah, I think leaves. Some don't have points on the end because they needed to keep it only 8 pixels wide.

3. zemulii

zemulii

Here's another thing I'm not so sure about. I recall ICEknight talking about single pixel lines and ntsc filters. Looking at the poles on the end of the vine lifts:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm not sure what to make of it. Does that apply here? It's hard to tell what I'm looking at.

4. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    they're little leaves. You're over thinking this far more than you need to.

[​IMG]

5. zemulii

zemulii

Yep I think I'll stick with leaves for now. I'll try and get something mocked up.

6. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
  7. zemulii

zemulii

I'm having this issue with rotation in Illustrator:

[​IMG]

Now I'm not so great at maths so I might be getting this totally wrong, but in a 1 high by 2 wide box like "A", the angle shown should be 22.5 degrees right? But when I rotate a horizontal line by that it ends up like "B". With a bit of trial and error, rotating the horizontal line by 26.565 seemed to get it right. But why is that? Shouldn't it be half 45? I'm trying to get it as accurate as I can so it will tile properly.

I like test-object's lava. Where is he when you need him?

8. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I'm not sure what would be causing that, assuming your math is correct. I'm tired, so you don't want me doing any math. If nothing else just try eyeballing it and exporting some examples and tiling them to see if it fits and adjust accordingly.

Alright, right away my issue with this is that it looks too much like one of the checkered pillar tiles from the ground tiles.

9. zemulii

zemulii

The larger one? Or just the whole checkered idea in general? Yes I guess I'll just have to go ahead with the whole trial and error thing until it fits together properly.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Looks a little better to me, with the bigger squares.

Perhaps making the dark squares a bit lighter would make them different enough?

By the way, since discussion on it has been halted, I was wondering... Has the tree top been approved in the end or not? =\

11. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It might be a visualization error caused by Pixel Preview mode. Exporting it to .png should look correct though!
    If you don't mind, could you provide me a link to the .AI file?

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Re: the checkerboard pattern on the trunk. The larger one doesn't look as good as the smaller one.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Are we seeing it at the size it's going to be displayed, though? If it still needs to be shrunk, the detail of the small squares might get lost.

14. I think they are meant to be little strings coming off, maybe to make the vines look taught as though they might break (and they do, as soon as you hit the end of the line). But I don't see why they can't be both.

Also, is there going to be a little animation of the platform unwrapping when it falls off?

15. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

[​IMG]

Not completely happy with it. It seems kind of.. soft. For lack of a better word. But I found when I made it edgier, it almost seemed to pixel perfect of a translation of the sprite.

16. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Nope.

There most likely will be now that you've suggested it. Assuming of course we can figure out a way to make it look good.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe

It could be worth you doing a 3D complete version of the platform. You would be the be able to see the other barriers through the holes. That might give the platform more depth. From a birds I view, it platform could look like this.

[​IMG]

It may also be nice to see some vines going through the holes of the platform as well. But I don't know if that would be overboard.

18. Fast work MD! I gotta say, you made it perfectly accurate, and unfortunatly it leaves much to be desired. I've been thinking about this platform a bit. It could be a bit darker, and it needs more style, some etched detailing would be nice. Also some growth of vegetation, maybe ware would be excellent, such as a broken spindal or two. Once we have a base model, a couple variations would be nice. I think the bottom part of the platform should be less round, it should be more edgy and more grooves. It would look better if the bottom cap, rather than a solid piece, looked as though it was more layered. In other words, this is an excellent example of a piece which requires a rethinking...

Ok, I'm at work so excuse these examples, but they are similar to what I'm talking about... I inverted the colors so they are blue. They are Art Deco in style.
    [​IMG]

19. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

It is a full 3D model. But since the back and front are identically symmetrical, from an orthographic view, you wouldn't even know that there is a back. Plus if used in the game, you would need 2 layers that Sonic would need to be sandwiched in between.

I don't exactly know how the handles work, so in my model they are just floating there, but that doesn't matter anyway.

[​IMG]

@subsubstantive I did try doing something like that half committed through photoshop. But then I saw that it looked too much like a sprite with colors/shades being divided by sharp lines. I didn't blend the highlight much on the bottom for just that reason. Trying to make it chiseled, yet not retro-pixely and boxy.

20. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    MDM, you don't need to make the whole model since the back won't be shown. Slice half of it out, or remove any symmetry function you've applied and let your orthographic camera render it. Subsubstantive had a good idea with the art deco style for this concept; I'd try moving away from the tube-like shape on the bottom and model it in like the blue tiered picture he posted. You could even go ahead and make the vertical bars into pillars. There's plenty of room for interpretation here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.