don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This post is funny because you're insinuating that the developers deserve our respect.

Besides, the worst that could come of such a thing is that it'll provide enough information to dissuade people from actually purchasing the game, and that's something we should all be entitled to by right. I swear, this whole community is starting to lose its edge. I mean, remorse over prerelease content? That's what this place is all about. Posts like this make me gag a bit.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They're making another 2D game that appeals to new-Sonic fans (using the same visual style, physics engine and gameplay elements than their latest releases), only with many references to the old games thrown in. This sounds like the opposite plan to me, like they're actually trying to lure old fans to like the new 2D games.

What are you talking about? You act like the programmers are listening to anything we're saying in here? That would be plain delusional.

3. Maybe it is delusional, but I can dream.

My thoughts on the leaks, are my thoughts. Whether this game is addressed to new or old fans is really up to opinion, but lets face it, without the retro community out here, this game probably wouldn't exist, which to some of you, woudn't be an entirely bad thing.

All I think is, whether or not this game lives up to the classics in our minds, it will at least allow Sonic to raise his head to others, because lets face it, this game isn't going to be bad. At worst it will play like Sonic Rush, to us, that could be bad, but to others, that proves that Sonic is not utter garbage, and is actually worth their time, because at the end of the day, despite the emphasis on speed, or the poor physics, Rush was fun to play on-the-go.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Damn, you really sound like you're trying to sell this game to everybody regardless of their oppinions on what they're seeing.

Perhaps you should work at SEGA's PR (if you don't already).

5. How do I sound like PR?

Even if I did, I would be pretty bad, so far I've had my ass handed to me several times because I liked what I saw in Sonic 4 and couldn't do a thing to change others' minds...

I gave my thoughts.

Whether you like to admit it, Sonic Rush, was one of the higher quality titles, sure the endless pits just piss you off (Damn you Altitude Limit :argh:) but it was one of the better games.
    In the eye of the public, if Sonic 4 is like Rush, they will say "Hey look, its a good Sonic game, see it wasn't all pure garbage"

In our opinion, it may not, but thats just our opinion.

And this is just my opinion.

6. I'm almost positive they did in Mega Collection.

7. Robochao

Robochao

*streaks*

What is there to discuss? Sonic 4 is such an open book now. It's like that girl that lives down the street from me.

I'm still buying it and playing it though. For justice, BLTs and etc.

8. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    1) This game SHOULD NOT BE Sonic Rush HD. The point that "Sonic Rush wasn't that bad" (even assuming that's true, which it isn't; see (2) momentarily) doesn't dig one out of the hole that this was initially touted as Genesis nostalgia to warm the hearts of bitter retrofags. The fact that this turned out to be a lie (no classic Sonic, Homing attack, etc) should not just be swept under the rug as part of a stepwise lowering of expectations. NEVAR FORGET.

2) Sonic Rush was a game of "1) Hold boost; 2) Win level; 3) ???? 4) PROFIT!!!" - leagues behind earlier games in terms of charm and enjoyability. Rush Adventure was the same, with a rip-off Zelda: Phantom Hourglass crowbarred in there.

ITT Frozen Nitrogen presents his opinions as fact

9. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    <3 ICEknight

10. What the fuck.

What's wrong with my opinion. Every time I come back here, someone feels the need to attack me for it....

@ Frozen Nitrogen:

Sonic Rush is bad, in your opinion. It is good in the public's opinion.

Read what I said.

If (emphasis on IF), Sonic 4 is like Rush, Sonic will be good in the eyes of the PUBLIC. This is a good thing because people will stop calling Sonic a shitty franchise that should die. This means that SEGA might actually do it again, but better if its successful.

Presenting your opinions as fact is kind of immature.
    I will respect your opinion when you respect mine.

11. [​IMG]

We can only dream, right? :D

12. MastaSys

MastaSys

Don't underestimate the powers of Blast Processing™ :P

13. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    That'd look better if you could put a larger version of the leaked WiiWare image (that looks like a photoshop mock-up of Sonic 1-ish box art... although I suppose we can't even get an enlarged version of that yet), but still really cool nonetheless.

Because if you do not agree, you are the enemy! :argh:

You're kind of confusing the issues here, though. Whether or not the game's good to the public doesn't really affect whether it's good to the retro crowd, and everything about the way the game is marketed, the way the game draws heavily on the retro franchise, and so on and so forth, screams out that it's a game trying to attract the retro crowd. So if it fails to please the retro crowd, then at some point, somewhere along the line, the developers failed at something.

Although I disagree with the analysis that it looks like Rush HD. A few similar physics problems and roundish slopes are the only similarities. If anything, it looks like its own different kind of 2D Sonic game, not like Rush or the Advance games at all.

14. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    I've only seen 2 short videos on youtube, one of the Splash Hill act 1 theme, and a small clip of someone sucking at the game.

The game looks (and sounds ) quite good imo! Splash Hill's theme sounds a lot like a sonic 2 theme to me, which isn't a bad thing since I've always felt that sonic 2 had the best soundtrack. The video was probably to short to really gain much of an opinion on how much fun the game looks, But I quite enjoyed the Advance and Rush series and if Sonic 4 is anything like Rush adventure without the story and pirates, then it should be a really good game. Can't wait to play it :)

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Really? To me the art style of this game looks very similar to the art style in Advance 1, just HD.

16. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I believe he's talking about the gameplay and level design which, due to their lack of a boost function and frequent mile-long slopes of nothingness, bear little in common with Rush.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Then again, you don't need a boost button anymore because the whole game is plagued with boost pads and strategically placed springs.

18. Deathbyteacup

Deathbyteacup

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons. Member
    Every time I've seen a boost pad in the videos, they don't boost you very far at all before you hit a loop, spring, wall or somesuch.

And damn those strategically placed springs. Why can't they be placed in a random and uselesss way? >(

19. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

You mean like Sonic Advance were they shoot you into spikes if you don't hit them with the exact speed they want you to?

20. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    ...Which may sound Rush-like until you consider the admirable amount of platforming sections (or platforming gimmicks, as the case may be) that punctuate the largely booster-driven speed sections, which look a far cry more dominant in this game than in the Rush games.

Unleash-itize, maybe, but not Rush-itize. Although even that doesn't sound right, as Unleashed's 2D sections were still closer to Rush than they are to what we've seen of Sonic 4.

Really, it looks like the major game-changer in the Sonic 4 style is going to be the Homing Attack, which already makes it a whole different game from Rush whether you consider that a plus or a minus. Personally, in 2D, I think I prefer a Homing-Attack-saturated game to a boost-saturated one—if nothing else, at least I can see where I'm going--and to be fair I saw one or two clever timing tricks you could pull off with the Homing Attack or Air Dash (including one timing trick you actually had to pull off to progress...), but, well, the oxymoronic nature of the Homing Attack's insertion into a game played on a 2D plane still stands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.