don't click here

Special Stage Development

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Or perhaps the sphere itself should be a sprite? You know, so it won't look all blocky when close up.

2. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I was thinking more along the lines of perspective - rather than quality close-up - that might look a little awkward when they pass by.

I thought it was still called a sprite whether it's 3D or not? Since I'm not a programmer, I'm not entirely sure what the difference is.

3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Sprites are flat static images, models are 3d and can be rotated in any direction.

Well that is the difference at the basics.

4. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    A quick low poly bomb made in Google Sketchup. If anyone wants it lighted and reflective tell me, cause I'd have to update my copy LightUp, a real time lighting engine and .fbx exporter for Sketchup.

I guess I should; the blue is missing.

Approx 800 triangles.
    [​IMG]

5. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    One word, people:

NURBS.

6. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Two Words actually: Hyper Nurbs.

7. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

I decided to have one more go at the special stage background. I think the colors are as close as they'll ever be. The only Photoshop file I had was non-HD image shaped, and I forgot to set the dimensions before making this. It's also really late and I should get to bed. So I'll post this, get the feedback from you guys tomorrow, and get a proper submission in then.

[​IMG]

8. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    ...which have to be converted to polygons at some stage ;)

This background is still my favourite, even without any choices made on stars etc. Can't wait to see it progress.

9. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Very true. There's no real need to start with nurbs anyway—I can accomplish the same result just by adding a meshsmooth or additional subdivisions. I'm currently working on other 3D projects at the moment, but if there's been no approved models done after my stuff is done I'll take a crack at them.

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Well I'm in full support of this concept. The only things that needs tweaking from my point of view is that the top and bottom diamonds could do with it not blending in so much with the background.

11. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

Can do.
    [​IMG]

12. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    The bottom of the diamonds stand out well now. The top diamond still needs tweaking more. It's more so at the very top.

Are you going to put some stars on? Even the constellation idea of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles?

13. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

I was going to let someone else do it. As soon as I get the gradient adjusted to the point where it looks perfect, I'll post the gradient by itself and have people add the stars to it.

14. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Lit mine.

This plug-in works in real time, so the reflections are not spot on. The blue came from an HDR skybox, and the spikes were lit using alternate light sources.
    [​IMG]

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Well it's a start. Nice one. My issue is the roundness parts of the bomb and the spikes look blocky instead of being perfectly spherical. Also is that some aliasing around the edge of the red circle?

16. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Pretty much what steveswede just said. There's absolutely no reason to post up something even as a concept that has so few subdivisions. When we get a working platform, then we'll work within what limitations it has. As it stands, that render just looks bad. Smooth it out more and throw it up again.

17. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    Well, I was actually going to say that 800 polygons for as simple an object as the mine was excessive if used realtime 3D, considering you have many of them on-screen at once. :ohdear: Might be worthwhile considering textured quads instead if you wanted perfectly spherical mines, or perfectly toroidal rings.

18. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

800 for a sphere? Definitely excessive. Having a relatively smooth shape can be accomplished with a third as many.

As for the idea of using textured quads, are you referring to using image planes with alphas applied? I was talking about this with Gambit and scanline last week. While it is -a- solution, our concern is that mines done that way could look odd when they're approaching. By using 3D, you don't have to compensate for multiple viewing angles. In any case, it will all boil down to what the platform can handle.

19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    People you are basing on the wrong sprite. There are 3 zoom levels for that bomb, you are working with the 2nd bigger zoom level...

20. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    There was an idea to put Robotnik's logo/face on the bombs in the previous forum. Perhaps time for a revisit of a charming little idea?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.