don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. randomselect

randomselect

?!?! Member
    Nothing recently
    I have a little problem.
    Whenever I collect a certain ring that I add using SonED2, some other rings I have added or monitors I added disappear in the rings case or are destroyed in the monitor case.
    I always have less than 200 objects in a level so it can't be a problem with too many objects. All the rings and monitors load properly.

Any help would be appreciated. It's not a huge issue but it is not something that should be left alone.
    Is it a RAM problem? or is it something I should have done before working with SonED2?

2. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    When creating a ring double right click and then hit "0" (above the letters) button, so it will set the remember sprite state flag.

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The flag seems to work, however the spring still isn't responding. The best I could get is by converting the final branch to a 'if yes' which causes the spring to react but Amy just walks through it. Should maybe a vertical pixel branch be added on the end as well?

4. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    After some experimenting to make the spring bouncing you up by pressing A, I realized that you need to put it in here and not right after the label:
    Code (ASM):
    1. Obj41_Up:               ; XREF: Obj41_Index
    2.         move.w  #$1B,d1
    3.         move.w  #8,d2
    4.         move.w  #$10,d3
    5.         move.w  8(a0),d4
    6.         jsr SolidObject
    7.         tst.b   $25(a0)     ; is Sonic on top of the spring?
    8.         bne.s   Obj41_BounceUp  ; if yes, branch
    9.     ------->
    10.         rts

5. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Is it possible to:
    1. Extract an xm file from an S3&K rom
    2. Convert the xm file into midi
    3. Edit the midi with some random program
    4. Convert the midi file back to xm
    5. Re-insert the edited xm file back into an S3&K rom, resulting in a modified song

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    1. You can use smps2xm for that, but keep in mind that it requires songs to be in the Sonic 1 format, so you'll need to run the Music Pointer Fixer before. Of course, assuming that you know how to rip a song out of the Sonic 3 & Knuckles rom, as there isn't a public split disassembly as far as I know
    2. Good luck with this. Technically you can use Mod Plug Tracker to convert from XM to midi but it has a couple of very serious issues: the timing of the resulting midi will be broken beyond belief in 90% of cases, and the drum channel wouldn't even be compliant with the midi standard in 99% of cases. Expect to have a lot of things to fix, unless you can find an XM to midi converter better than Mod Plug Tracker.
    3. Last time I checked, midi files could be edited, yes.
    4. Yes. Once again, you can use Mod Plug Tracker (which would probably do a bad job again) or mid2xm (which I never used in all my life so I can't speak for it).
    5. You can convert the xm file to smps with Puto's xm4smps. But, once again, you'll need the Music Pointer Fixer afterwards because xm4smps outputs to the Sonic 1 format. Make sure that your converted file is smaller than the song you replaced, or you'll screw everything up.

Short version: it's a pain.

7. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Hi there. Just wondering if anyone can get some full level (all levels) tile rips form Sonic Spinball.

8. I'm trying to use SonMapEd to put in new sprites for Sonic in Sonic 2, and I'm using this tutorial. It says that for Sprite Pattern Cues to load a certain file from folder in_inc, but the Sonic 2 disassembly doesn't have this folder. Where do I load these from?

9. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    They are in mappings/sprite_DPLC/Sonic.bin.

10. Ah, thanks!

11. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Just a few minutes got me this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Hope this helps you.

12. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
  13. Ok, so I want to add all the Sonic 1 levels onto Sonic 2, all 3 acts, (except Final Zone since that's one) without replacing any of the current Zones. How would I go about doing this?

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You're probably going to need more level slots, as you'll need 2 zones per zone (like Metropolis) unless you make it possible for zones to have 4 acts (Sonic 2 only supports 2, dunno how hard it is to change this).
    Then you have to port all the art (8x8, 16x16, and convert the 256x256s to 128x128s), and the collision data, which is different between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 iirc.
    Of course you'll need to port the badniks as well.
    Basically a ton of work. If you start working now you might be done by the day S2HD is released.

15. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    If you wanted chunks you could have said so. I don't know how Spinball's chunks are put together, if it has any. For now, just use what I had given and make custom chunks until somebody more knowledgeable about the subject speaks up.

Since I am here, I have a question. When "converting" art from Game Gear size to Genesis size, what is the best ratio to set it at? Should extra colors ala stronger shading be added as well?

16. I expected to have a lot to do. I'm going to see if I can do this anyways though... Thanks for the help!

17. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Thing is, I won't be using it for a rom hack, it wouldn't work for the program I'm using which id being produced in MMF2.

18. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Yeah, I don't know how Spinball has its chunks arranged. I do know where (at least) the background tiles are loaded and what format the art is in, so I think that could be a start.

Spinball uses all custom formats btw.

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Still having problems, tweaking here and there leads it either doing nothing or bring able to spring just by being in screen view of the spring (in GHZ3 you can spring from your starting position). Out of curiosity could you still jump with A (thus still enabling the character to jump through the spring onto the landing area)?

20. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Code (ASM):
    1.         tst.w   ($FFFFFFFF).w       ; is hammer attack being performed?
    2.         beq.s   Obj41_NoHammerAttack    ; if not, branch
    3.         moveq   #0,d0           ; clear d0
    4.         move.w  $8(a0),d0       ; load springs's X-pos to d0
    5.         sub.w   ($FFFFD008).w,d0    ; substract Amy's X-pos from it (Anything starting from $FFFFD000 Sonic's/Amy's RAM location)
    6.         bpl.w   Obj41_Positive      ; if answer is positive, branch
    7.         neg.w   d0          ; otherwise negate d0
    9. Obj41_Positive:
    10.     ->  cmpi.w  #5,d0           ; is Amy within 5 pixels of the spring?
    11.     ->  bge.s   Obj41_NoHammerAttack        ; if not, branch
    12.         ; the other stuff for the spring
    14. Obj41_NoHammerAttack:
    The two -> lines could be commented out. If that still doesn't do anything, there is probably a bug somewhere else, though I don't know what it could be. If that however works, you simply need to set a higher distance for the check (I.e. the 5 into 8 or something).

I got a question too: Does anybody know the location of Hyper Sonic's palette cycle in the Sonic and Knuckles diassembly? That thing being this huge is not very helpful. =P