don't click here

Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    My god, that's fucking smoooooth~~

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    My vote goes for this, but with a shorter flame. And perhaps also without the rock inside? Some mockups would help here.

It's hands down the best one proposed yet. Please work on this one.

3. [​IMG]

4. It looks great, no doubt about it, but it's too realistic for a classic Sonic game and doesn't fit the art style at all.

5. I agree it is too realistic and doesn't match the established art style. Also, if fire is presented this way, then explosions, lava, water, etc. should probably also be near photo-realistic, which I personally am not in favor of. Think about this, New Sonic is always pushing for photo-realism, to its detriment. Mario doesn't go as realistic as possible, they keep it light and consistent. Not that Sonic needs to be Mario, but realistic does not equal better.

On a side note, what about explosions? I don't think the explosions which have been produced so far are very good, they could me much better. Also, has anyone considered the idea of multiple explosion animations? What about different ones for when Robotnik is beaten. It would be really cool to have explosions that throw debris toward the player, or maybe that falls down, passing the ground as though it went over the edge. Just thoughts.

6. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Gotta agree here. It's amazing craftsmanship, but it is indeed way too unfitting. And this is coming from the guy who puts realistic textures on his metal.

Feel free to improve them if you wish to. There have been thought on more kinds of explosions, but the staff now mainly wants to finish Emerald Hill asap.

7. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    That is definitely a much better shape.

But I think it needs to be a little less blurry, and more defined; maybe add a touch of darker coloured - perhaps more orange - flames to make it look 'deeper'.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Mockup:
    [​IMG]

9. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    comparison between the two (sorry about the timing):

It actually needs a lot more red in the flames.

And also, as I look at the shape of the original fire 'balls', they almost look like the shape of chicken legs!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. haha thats awesome!
    I will try to get that shape and colour regardless of whether it gets used.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    If anything, I'd try making the colors brighter on the inside, and darker on the outside, just to match the original color scheme better.

Not sure if that's possible to do with whatever program it's been made with.

EDIT: I don't mean the chicken legs. =P

12. I can't get it to loop, plus it animates way too fast.
    So heres a still frame.

[​IMG]

13. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Thats just about spot on I think, except it doesn't have enough sparks coming from the top.

14. I'll have another go tomorrow, it takes sooooo long to sim as it is, To get better flamage I'll have to increase the voxel reolution, and that'll take twice as long.

edit: if you want I can rar up 10 tif frames or so from this one?

15. The most recent still frame looks better I guess, but I am surprised that you guys don't see how dissimilar these fire balls are from the rest of the art. Why would everything in this Sonic world operate in such a toon-like synthetic manner, EXCEPT fire? I hope someone produces a version closer to the Mario one, in my little opinion it is CLEARLY better.

16. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Since I was bored, I started doing random badnik sprites in vector format with a simple toon style and shadows:

The first one is my own, the kiki one is based on a Trakker Artwork.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4x original sprites and 4x new sprites by me.

This doesnt mean we are gonna use them, this post is just MY own work.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    LOL ya made Coconuts look like some kind of pimp or gangsta, but his bling is his body.

I think your drawings are great. But the style seems a bit off compared to the original art. I think your art that you've done would look great in a animated cartoon strip. Or as a bonus cartoon strip for Sonic 2 like there is for Sonic CD.

18. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Hmm, like the cartoons in Pac-Man or something. That's a interesting Tweaker-inciting idea...

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Last time I checked we were not going for a toon-like look for the badniks and scenarios.

This is cartoony:
    [​IMG]
    Notice the outlines and wacky deformations.

These are not cartoony:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    They almost look like 3D models, with perfect shapes and realistic shines and light sources, and of course no perfectly defined outlines to be seen.

It would make sense that the flames don't look too cartoony, or they'd look out of place.

20. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    You could be right, but the flames that you're so adamant about are borderline photo realistic.. The 3D models, as you call them, may not look like they came straight out of Loony-Toons, but they are far more surreal and toon-like than sigma2x's flame.

Requesting a flame similar to subsubstansive's in the shape of chicken wings please. :specialed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.