General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Retried the shading, using LESS shades, along with making them darker.

[​IMG]

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Looking better. Can you do one that is lighter on the shades. It looks like there is a torch being shined on it in a dark space, if that makes sense.

3. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Sure, no problem. Here you go.

[​IMG]

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Loads better. The only thing I can think of that I would consider redoing is the pupils. Probably make them a bit smaller. They seem a little out of proportion. And also bring them in the centre a bit. Centre of the face a bit I mean.

5. Also, could you see if the outline around the eyes looks better if it's a bit lighter?

6. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Done and done, along with some minor tweaks to the shading.

[​IMG]

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    The pupil size and the more central pupils now look spot on. The outline around the eyes is loads better as well.

The only other thing I'm thinking of at the moment is the black bit of the beak. the deep blackness of it makes it look a little out of place. Maybe it could be the same colour as the beak but really dark so it gives it a define outline. I don't know if that would make it any better. Might be worth a shot.

Other than that it's looking amazing.

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It's getting better & better.

-Add some shades on outer parts of pupils to avoid the "stickered" effect.
    -Add some bright shades to the beak and legs to add volume
    -Mouth black line must be thinner
    -Clean your vectors boundaries! The top right part head have bright shades going over the darkest ones!

9. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I'm not sure why, but with the latest one, the chicken seems to have more of a worried look rather than a 'surprised' one - especially on the left-hand picture; although having said that, the chicken actually looks even more worried in the original sprite because of where the shadows appear.

I'm not entirely sure if that was intentional or not, and I don't know if I'd prefer it to look like that or not, but there you go.

Here's my interpretation of the shaded lines:
    [​IMG]

I'm not really suggesting anything; I suppose I'm just pointing something out - I maybe totally wrong on this, but anyway...

10. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    That was NOT intentional for the chicken to have a worried look. Then again, to me it doesn't even look like he has a worried look. I'll check it out.

In the mean time though, I tried to fix up what I can of the shade boundaries. Zoomed in it looks fine, but zoomed out to the actual size it looks like I missed some spots. It could be my eyes. Anyway, I also added some reflection to the beak and feet, made the mouth a little thinner, added a shade to the outside parts of the pupils, and I tried my best to make the open-mouth seem less dark without going completely over-board.

[​IMG]

11. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    OK, let's do a little editing to the original sprite...

All I did was delete 2 shaded pixels near the eyes, and you can immediately see the difference between the two.

Now out of these 2, which one looks the most surprised?
    [​IMG]

12. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Yeah, now I see what you mean. However, none of the other animals had a square top for the eyes. Take a look at this:

[​IMG]

Because the eye color and the feathers for the chicken are the same color, it would look rather bad without a border. As you can see, the pig doesn't have a border around it's eyes, since it's skin color is pink. The eyes have shades on them though. Now, I've traced what would APPEAR to be the border for the chicken, and where the border would be on the pig if it were to obtain it. From the looks of it, the worried look for the chicken is simply caused by 1 of the pixels being the border to see the eyes better, and another pixel being a shade for the eyes. You can tell one of them is a shade because the pig has it in the exact same spot on the eyes as the chicken.

Hopefully I'm making sense, because for a good 45 minutes or so, I've been pondering as to how to say this.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think you guys are doing it wrong.
    [​IMG]

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Making the mouth thinner has definitely made a better difference. Nice one.

15. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]
    Excuse me for this 5 minutes quality edit Sonuw!

Just to address colour balance to enhance volume! ;)

16. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    I feel so out-done in every way now. *AHEM* ANYWAY, I shall get back to work on the chicken! I will pour my very blood into this next edit to try to make it look as good as I possibly can!

EDIT: Blood poured. However, I am saving the rest of it if this new edit is in need of more work.

[​IMG]

17. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I love it. Archive this shit.

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I give you 9000 thumbs up and a free internet.

19. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    lol, you're a bitch you know?... but, I love you :v:

20. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    [​IMG]

</3

<3