don't click here

Best Dreamcast Games

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Agobue, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Agobue

Agobue

I bought a Dreamcast for a very cheap price at my local yard sale the other week, but it came with no games. It has scrubbed up very nicely, but I'm not very knowledgeable on it's library of games (I owned a Genesis and Playstation when I was younger). So fans, please tell me; what are the best games for the Dreamcast?

Oh and here it is:

[​IMG]

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    [​IMG]

You only need this one.

3. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Err... No. That game will amuse you for a while, but it's almost Beta-like state will soon drive you insane. Its undoubtedly one of the best DC games though.

List of what I would recommend

Propeller Arena
    Jet Grind Radio
    Space Channel 5 (1 and 2)
    Power Stone 2
    Rez
    Ikuraga
    Caution: Seaman (only if you are willing to buy a mic)
    Soul Calibur
    Crazy Taxi (1 and 2)
    Re-Volt
    Skies of Arcadia
    Shenmue (1 and 2)
    Toy Commander
    House of the Dead 2 (only if you are willing to buy a lightgun)
    The Typing of the Dead (only if you are willing to buy a keyboard
    Chu-Chu Rocket (if that's your type of thing)

I own most of these myself, but .CDI images are really the best way to go, provided you have some CDR's

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    See, everyone says that regarding burnt DC games, but considering that the original discs were closer to 1GB, what happens to that 300 MB that gets cut out from the games -- where's it come from?

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    What's the matter? Didn't have friends to play with?

6. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Generally, people reduce the quality of audio and video files or hack them out altogether. That's only for the games which exceed CD-R size, mind.

It's late so I'll give you three great exclusive games for now:

Jet Set Radio

You already know about the cel-shading and the excellent soundtrack, so I won't bore you with evangelism. However, you do need to know that even if you've already played Jet Set Radio Future, this is essential. While the story and locations are similarly themed (though different in layout), the style of play is totally different. The Xbox game is a console-style game with a heavy emphasis on exploration. The levels are large, and enemy encounters are confined to set times and small areas. The original has more of an arcade flavour, with the emphasis on putting the player under pressure. The stages are smaller but fill up with enemies, and tagging is a more complex process to ensure that tag interruption is a threat. What's more, there's a time limit to deal with. Well worth your time, just for the satisfaction gained in tagging a wall as you grind past the cops - an experience hard to find elsewhere.

Shenmue

The game divides opinion but is worth experiencing if only to get a sense of the ambition involved. You get to wander around a beautifully realised game environment playing detective and occasionally having some fights. High points are the excellent visuals, good fighting system and freedom to explore (you can literally was te hours on Space Harrier and capsule toys), low points are the lack of focus, poor dubbed voice acting and slow pace. A lot of the stuff in the game is somewhat inconsequential, sometimes in that ever-so-artsy Japanese way, and other times because the series was never finished. If you do enjoy the game your progress carries over to the sequel (capsule toys etc.), which has more action and allows you more freedom to earn money, but isn't exclusive due to the Xbox release.

Under Defeat

A very late Japanese release for the system (2006), this is a very traditional vertical scrolling shooter. If you hate bullet hell and love Raiden, this is good stuff. Very few gimmicks here, with only a mild angle change and a semi-autonomous option drone to speak of. The stages and bosses are very well thought out, and for some reason methodically destroying a huge battleship really makes me smile. The military theme makes for muted colours but the graphics are genuinely fantastic, with some of the best explosions seen on any system at the time. Due to the circumstances surrounding release and the cult following G.Rev's products have gained (check out Border Down prices), don't expect to find this one cheaply. On eBay right now, the standard edition is at $120 Buy It Now and the limited edition with the alternative cover and remix soundtrack CD is at $170.

7. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    If I had to pick one game for the Dreamcast it would be Shenmue. But Soul Calibur 1 (My favorite of the series that I have played, which does not include 4) and Jet Set Radio are definite classics. Space Channel 5 is short and sweet.

In truth though, there are very few bad games for the Dreamcast... Though as a warning, the bad ones are some of the easiest ones to find.

8. Jaseman

Jaseman

Actually, I had brothers and sisters to play with, as well as friends. And they got sick of it. The levels are just barren in 4P mode, due to the fact your charactors are the size of well, toys, and the room is so large.
    I will however give my props to the games' originality :specialed:

Oh, and to the above poster: most of the time DC games never exceed 800 MB's, so not very often stuff has to be ripped. I would definitel go with DCRES releases of Dreamcast ISO's, as opposed to Echelon or Kalisto.

9. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Of course, there are still those that do and a lot of good DC games are dirt cheap these days anyway. Instead of pissing about trying to find a "good" rip, I'd rather just buy the game and have it exactly as intended. I won't accept second best where the Dreamcast is concerned.

10. Jaseman

Jaseman

Well, yes, that's what I do for most of my games. But I can not, will not, Sam-I-Am, be bothered to save up $40+ for Headhunter or $70+ for Rez.

But yeah, I understand what you are getting at. I still haven't played Shenmue 2 on the DC.

11. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

You'll not find a cheap Rez without some extreme luck, and I paid £40 for my new and sealed copy back in 2003. However, you're at least right not to pay that much for Headhunter. I've seen it going for as little as £5, you just need to find a decent second hand store (or a Eurofag with access to one).

Incidentally, both games are highly recommended to all here. I'll do the detail later.

12. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Power Stone and Power Stone 2 are both great games to play if you have friends around. I remember spending hours playing Power Stone 2, unlocking new weapons with the weapon mixing machine thing. Another vote for Toy Commander as well.

13. DXKramer

DXKramer

Even though you cannot play on Sega servers anymore with this game, I happen to think Phantasy Star Online was an awesome game for Dreamcast.

14. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Get it for Gamecube. You can play online on the fan-created servers.

Marvel vs Capcom is great. (Get Marvel vs Capcom 2 for 360/PS3)
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 for the Dreamcast is the definitive home port. A fighting stick for the Dreamcast is the best way to play it.

15. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I don't know if anyone remembers this little gem, but it was definitely good for a laugh.

16. SillyJonna

SillyJonna

rhymes with iguana Member
    Orlando, Florida
    Kickin' Rad!
    Wow, we have that game in my store right now. I had never heard of it before someone traded it in. I've been meaning to check it out.

17. You can play the very same fan-created servers on every PSO version except the Xbox one. I believe you can even play Episode 1 with a mixed Gamecube/Dreamcast/PC team.

18. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    Home ports of Crazy Taxi are best experienced with the controller you believe is least likely to break your hands. For my part, the Gamecube version does nicely. Crazy Taxi 2 is - ahem. Let's say, it's half the entertainment value of #1, buried under a mountain of frustration. It's not worth the psyche damage.

The DC version of Daytona USA would be pretty superb if not for the steering controls being so brutally sensitive and not being able to do anything about it (I'm not convinced the sensitivity settings added for the localized versions even fucking do anything). May want to get an official Rally Wheel for that.

19. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Get some Skies of Arcadia

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    How has no-one in this thread said Sonic Adventure 1 & 2? Obvious choices, maybe, but STILL =P