don't click here

New Tom Payne interview

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MathUser, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    33's an interesting one

EDIT: dibs for avatar? =P

2. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    That Metropolis map looks like Act 2, with a lot of object and some layout changes. The spike blocks and spinning drums from the final version seem absent.

Also note the sign post in the beginning of the act. Were they planning to do connecting acts like Sonic 3?

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Holy shit, all this released while I'm away? Fantastic stuff!

Muchos gracias to Tom for this!

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Color time!

Sonic's blue: RGB 0-153-255
    Sonic's skin: RGB 255-204-179
    Sonic's shoes: RGB 230-25-102
    Sonic's undershoes: RGB 138-46-61

Eggman's skin: RGB 255-204-179
    Eggman's red: RGB 230-25-102
    Eggman's yellow: RGB 255-255-0
    Eggman's black: RGB 0-0-0
    Eggman's mustache: RGB 161-54-89

Medal's ring inner: RGB 255-230-0
    Medal's ring outter: RGB 77-77-230
    Medal's inside: RGB 77-77-77
    Medal's stripe red: RGB 230-25-102
    Medal's wing: RGB 204-230-255
    Medal's "SONIC" shadow: RGB 204-255-255

Everything else is white (RGB 255-255-255) or black (RGB 0-0-0).

5. You know what would be awesome? Is if Needlemouse starred this style of Sonic. That would be awesome.

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Wow... those Sonic guide illustrations are pure win. There's so much expression in those pieces of art, and it reminds me about triple-fold how the classic Sonic design really is timeless and really is adorable and hardcore at the same time.

If anything, Sega needs to be looking at those sheets when making Needlemouse. I mean it. Sega, listen to me: make Sonic like that again, please. =3

7. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    That level layout is from MZ2 and features vertical sawtooth shutters as opposed to the one-way doors in the final.

One thing that's interesting about the illustration guides is that they feature the official coloring in the CMYK color space. This is useful if somebody wants to say, redraw these in vectors and color them. I took the liberty of approximating the colors to RGB:

http://nande.planetaclix.pt/payne_cmyk1.png
    http://nande.planetaclix.pt/payne_cmyk2.png
    http://nande.planetaclix.pt/payne_cmyk3.png

Also, from earlier scans of the ball object's sprites, I was able to easily compile the actual palette from the hex values printed on the sheet. I also tried my best at replicating the sprites themselves, but didn't get far before I gave up. Regardless, this is what I accomplished:

[​IMG]

8. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    That would be awesome; grayscale, with squiggly-animated lines for everything.

9. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
  10. Vangar

Vangar

Those concept snails are so much like the SCD snails.

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I'm just noticing.... how come the Sonic one S1's title screen looks more like the US/European Sonic rather than the original? :psyduck:

12. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    My god. All this stuff, it's just amazing. I mean holy shit, that guide to Sonic is just incredible, it proves how timeless the classic design really is.

God dammit, I miss it so much. Wow.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I had a go at remaking that ball in sprite form, though my palette's probably a bit off
    [​IMG]

either way though

[​IMG]

it's got some dodgy animation

14. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Oooh, even more awesome new stuff! = D More Metropolis map goodness. Is it me, or does this one actually identify the numbers of all the 128x128 chunks used?

Also, all I can say is, whoever drew Sonic's corkscrew sprites must have missed page 32 of that "Guide to Sonic". = P Specifically the illustration showing him from behind, with the shape and layout of his spikes...!

15. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Depending on what it was used for you can tell it's rolling left at an angle, a bit wonkey yeah.

16. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Or maybe one frame is missing.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It was a pre-rendered 3D model... Which for some reason they just didn't care polishing.
    I think it's the other way around. Whoever created Assface Sonic must have been given that animation sketch.

EDIT: Page thirteen shows two small drawings of the Alpha Green Hill, by the way. Different background and palmtrees and rocks in the foreground.

EDIT 2: Also, Cosplay Sonic at page 29 looks like Sonic 06. =P

18. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Having looked at that enemy enough; you know what it reminded me of. This...

[​IMG]

From Metroid: Zero Mission & Super Metroid :v:

19. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Wow - all of these documents that Tom's given to us are mind-blowing! Absolutely amazing stuff! I'm very grateful to him for sharing them with the Community :D

It's really interesting to see all the concept art for the Badniks (I particularly like the design of the Squid, it looks awesome). The Metropolis maps and concept arts are really cool as well, particulary seeing how different the level was once going to be both in it's design and it's layout/objects.

That "Sonic guide" is brilliant - I've always preferred the old Sonic design over the new one, and this guide reminds me of exactly why this is the case. As others have pointed out, the classic design is simply timeless, so full of charm and character.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    There's a repeated page in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.