don't click here

Wii Homebrew/Hacking

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Lostgame, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Alright, so I finally hopped on the Wii bandwagon, just got one this weekend, already done the Twilight Hack, got the homebrew channel installed, WAD injector installed, and downloaded a few WADs and installed them. I've got a few questions and I would like suggestions for games, as well.

How do I burn ISO files and play them in the Wii? Where is a reliable, torrent-free place to find such files? I wod lik a links. (I use rapidshare, megaupload, etc, please no 'use torrents kthx').

How do I play DVD's on my Wii without hardware modifications? I don't have a DVD player and use a Data projector for my video games. It'd be sweet to be able to just pop my season set dvd's in there, and not have to connect my iMac media server to the projector.

I should mention I'm on the 3.2U firmware (I've heard this is good)

And lastly, what games *must* I download? So far, my list is:
    - Super Mario Galaxy
    - Metroid Prime 3
    - Twilight Princess (I rented my copy to do the hack)
    - Zack and Wiki
    - Brawl (I don't even have melee, but I did download SSB64 as a WAD)
    - Super Paper Mario
    - Sonic Unleashed

That's just to start. I know there's more, better games even, but it's just I can only download so many at one time lol.

Thanks a lot guys! Sorry that I'm such a turd with this shit.

2. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Okami, Resident Evil 4 if you've not played it elsewhere, world of goo, no more heroes, bully: scholarship edition, wario ware: smooth moves, wario land: shake it, mario kart wii (might as well, even though it's not as good as the DS one), madworld, house of the dead: overkill, de blob, excite truck, fire emblem: radiant dawn, rayman raving rabbids, battallion wars 2, super monkey ball: banana blitz, final fantasy crystal chronicles: my life as a king, lost winds and animal crossing if you like the DS one. These come in rought order of recommendation (basically how memorable they were to me), so if you don't want to get the whole list work through from the beginning. :P

3. NickW

NickW

You absolutely have to download that game.

You should also download Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary.

Best way, if you don't want torrents, is to find the scene release name and google that. Also, to burn the ISO just burn it using ImgBurn like a normal ISO.

google dvdx and MPlayer CE. I know that can play video files from a dvd, but I'm not sure if it can read dvd movies yet.

4. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Alright, so I burn the ISO to disk via ImgBurn. How do I then boot that on my Wii?

5. NickW

NickW

You need to install either Backup Launcher 0.3 gamma (program in the Homebrew Channel that allows you to play burned games + cios) or CIOScorp (replaces all your ios's with cios's that allow you to play burned games right from the wii menu).

6. Ultima

Ultima

London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Does CIOScorp have any other advantage over the backup loader than booting from the menu? Such as faster loading, better compatibility, etc? I've not tried it :P

Also, installing the Backup Loader as a channel is quite nice - if you can't get a hold of the installer app thing that you run on your wii, I'll get mine off my SD card and send it to you so you can set it up. It's really easy :P

And yes, bully is epic. Haven't actually tried the one on the wii yet, only the PS2/X360 ones. Too bad the 360 one was buggy as shit...

7. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    This? You'd be like, my hero.

8. NickW

NickW

It does have a few:
    - Some games require you to patch them to use IOS 249 with the backup loader, because they load a different IOS than the one the game was started with, you don't have to do that with CIOScorp (Red Steel and Metroid Prime 1 for Wii come to mind).
    - You can boot backup disks in the recovery menu (although if you have Preloader this feature is useless).
    - Can use Gecko OS to play games (which the new version probably has a few features not in the backup loader)

If you do install it, you will need to use Starfall/Preloader to enable region free wii games otherwise you won't be able to play games outside of your region (because it's like your playing a backup game like a non-backup except with the drive running at 3x rather than 6x). Also, there is a small risk because you are replacing the IOS the system menu depends on.

The Wii one is definitely less buggy than the 360 one. I did have the fall through the ground bug and die 3 times, but no crashes. It did manage to kill the DVD drive on my Wii, although I'm not sure if that's the games fault :v:

I also forgot, you should also install the gamecube backup loader so you can play backup gamecube games too.

9. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    That would be sick - could I then burn GC ISO's to ordinary DVDs and have them work? I'd love to try 'eternal darkness'.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Obligatory mention (and I can't believe I'm the first): why not buy some of the games you know you're gonna keep playing rather than an hour or two pissabout?

11. NickW

NickW

Yup. You can also burn multiple GC games to a DVD too (google that to find out how).

12. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
  13. Ultima

Ultima

London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    http://www.lunaticpandora.com/wp-content/u...ackupPlusGC.zip

Readme contains instructions. This should install the backup launcher channel and allow you to boot Wii and GC backups directly from it.

If it doesn't work, let me know - I wrote the instructions from memory and it might not be 100% correct.

14. Yuzu

Yuzu

You don't know how much I have to thank you for this, once I borrow Twilight Princess in a week I'm going to start getting into homebrew and start downloading some emulators along with NTSC and JPN games due to how crappy Europe is when it comes to priority in game releases. :v:

15. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Because I don't really give games more than an hour or two pissabout. :/ Also, are you made of money? 'cause I'm not. If it wasn't fucking $50-60 a game I'd definitely buy them. To me, I will never pay more than $25 for a game, unless it's a retro game of considerable value, like Chaotix or something.

Also, hey! I got my wii working for DVD's! This is great! Thanks a lot Ultima! You're the bestest.

16. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    I've heard that using the Wii as a DVD player is terrible on the laser. Could just be a myth, but whatever.

17. NickW

NickW

Myth. The Wii was built with the intention of being used as a DVD player, but Nintendo took that feature out because they didn't feel like paying royalties. Playing a dvd on it would put no more strain on the laser than playing it on a normal dvd player.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That's where looking around for deals helps =P I rarely pay more than £30 for a game.

And if you're only gonna be bothering to play for that short a time, fair enough, really.

19. Blitz

Blitz

¬.¬ Member
    UK
    The HedgehogHack (On hold)
    Most of the WII games out there average from 2-3GB. (Sonic unleashed is 4.3GB!)

That why most of them are bitorrents.

20. NickW

NickW

Sonic Unleashed is NOT 4.3GB. It's around 2GB.