don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    How do you separate the 8x8 files for GHZ in Sonic 1 after replacing the art? Everything is all screwed up because I have it together as one file still I'm assuming here. I need to split it into two again to get new art to appear, right? I know someone was planning to make a program for this some time ago, but nothing ever came of it.

2. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    If I understand what you wrote correctly, you merged the art to work in SonED2, and you want to split it to work in game? It'd probably be easier to just make it load the new file rather than splitting it. I wrote a guide which can be found here, since this is THE one thing I know how to do. =P

3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

It's called, you can't change the filesize. Also, have fun doing that model edit, it's pretty much impossible. When you replace a model it keeps the old models animations, and gameplay. So you would be one screwed up Silver.

4. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Is there a way to edit the text and keep the file the same size? For some reason, as I edit it, it gets smaller. Can you add bytes that don't do anything? By the way, when I was looking around in the .bin files, there was an item list for the Chao Black Market that contained the Maria and Omochao menu themes. I wonder if they borrowed files from SA2B?

5. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Just open in hex workshop, and don't add any more bytes, or get rid of any.

And if you researched a bit more, you would know they ported the chao system from SA2B, so yes the files are from there.

Edit: This example here took me less than 1 minute to do.

[​IMG]

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  7. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

8. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    A little question about SMPS:
    Code (Text):
    1. F6 FF 60
    A code from Hex. Now my question is: How do I know where to point the last 2 bytes to? $FF60 is not an offest in the sound file, I think it adds to the offest in the ROM.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Did you read SCHG:Music Hacking at all? It would have explained exactly what you're dealing with...

Assuming you're working with 68k SMPS, that particular flag will be jumping back $9F bytes. It seems like it's the loop command at the end of a channel, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Remember—when dealing with branches in 68k SMPS, $FFFF is treated as zero. If you want to know how far back you're going, then simply subtract the value of the branch—in this case, $FF60—from $FFFF to get an exact value.

10. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by an "offset in the sound file", unless you're using S3K format (and is anybody?). If you're using S1 format, that's giving you a relative distance to go back.

Here's how I do it when since I'm too lazy to count in hex: set your editor to show 16 (hex 10) bytes per line, and set your cursor between the FF and the 60. To jump to the cursor from that F6 would be F6 00 00. Now push up to move the cursor back 16 (hex 10) bytes; to jump to the cursor now would be F6 FF F0. Push up again and jumping from the F6 to the cursor would be F6 FF E0; another time would give F6 FF D0. Continuing the pattern yields that if you put the cursor after the FF and push up 10 (decimal) times, the cursor'll be where F6 FF 60 points you.

Going forward in the file would be the opposite: add hex 10 to the 00 00 for each time you move the cursor down a line. Moving the cursor left one subtracts 1 from the value, and moving it right one adds 1 to the value. Obviously this can all be done by counting in hex or using Windows Calculator to convert, but I've always found this easier for short jumps.

EDIT: Oh dammit Tweaker. Can't we get a warning message if you're beaten to a post out of Fast Reply? :colbert: Trash if desired.

11. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Thank you Tweaker it works. I did read the music guide. In fact, I read it a couple of times so I could understand it. F6 is the command which is used for loops but I think if we "convert" it to ASM it will be more like a jmp.

12. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Well, I got the program to accept my edited text, but apparently just keeping the file the same size isn't enough. Now, I'll talk to a person and get maybe 2 letters, probably because I changed the lengths of the sentences. Is there a way to fix this?

13. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

That's why I said keep it the same length. You can't change the length of a sentence.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Actually, that's not quite true. If you pad the end with spaces (aka 0x20 in hex) you can make it shorter.

But no, it can't be longer.

15. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

That makes perfect sense! Now, I just need to get PVMedit working, but I think I can figure that one out on my own. Thanks!

16. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I have no idea how it works so maybe I'm wrong, but it's ASCIIZ, right? =P If so you can make it actually shorter by just ending the string in 0x00 - but then again, leave the length in the file untouched, or everything else will get shifted.

Or if you didn't get what I said, you could as well pad with 0x00 instead of 0x20. Not sure if that works, but I guess it will =P

17. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Yeah, I meant you can't make sentences any longer. They need to be the same or short, then padded to be the same length.

18. I am beginning my journey into Sonic hacking...

I want to start out simply with a character hack to learn the basics.

I am currently figuring out what I need to get started.

I have:

- A Sonic 1 Rom
    - SonED
    - the ROM I want to extract the character from.

I have looked on this site but couldn't find anything specifically on a character hack to aid me in dong this the 1st time.

Can anyone help me on any of this?

19. Hi, does anyone know if it is at all possible to edit S3k Title Cards?

Thanks

lofty

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Some people will never learn how to correctly ask for things.
    Yes, it is possible. What now?