don't click here

Megacart help

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jigen, Feb 6, 2009.

1. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Backupcart in what manner ?

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Presumably gamesaves. The problem there (if it is that) is that there's no set save format for the few games that do have it...

...if he just means a dumping utility set, that's what MoD's cable is for.

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I think he means a dump utility, but dumping directly to a flashcart instead of sending the ROM to a computer.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Oh. In that case, I'm not aware of one that exists. Stop being so lazy and use your PC =P

5. mdawgmike

mdawgmike

Hmm, the MegaCart definitely seems to be the more attractive bargain. $90 with shipping to get everything (including cables) is definitely worth it for me. I just have a couple things to clarify for those who own one:

1) We can flash pretty much any .bin ROM(s) we like, as long as the total file size is less than 3MB? Including hacks? This would be the primary reason that I would get it.
    2) They say "you must own the original game." Is this simply a legal disclaimer, or is there some sort of DRM present which checks?
    3) The whole Sega CD part. The CD doesn't have to be present to just play the games on the cart, right? From what I see we can flash the cart while it's in the Genesis with a ROM on a CD? This would be awesome to not have to worry about going to my computer to get more ROMS...to just pull them from a library on a CD would be super sick.

I could care less about backing up my games, seeing as I can find all of them online. That plus, when has a cartridge ever failed to work? It's all solid state so it should last (in a practical sense) forever. I've never had an issue with any of my 25+ Genesis games for the 15 years I've owned them, other than having to clean the contacts every once in a while. The one thing I'd like to do is make a backup of some of my CD games. Has anybody found a successful way to make a perfect copy Sonic CD, or any of the other titles? I just did a simple CD copy with my computer, but there's long pauses before any music plays in the levels (not quite the same experience).

6. shana

shana

balls Member
    Financial Hell
    Recording Sonic Music on live guitar/bass.
    There can't be any DRM and there isn't.

7. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Legal disclaimer.

Stupid question, does anybody know if there was even a try to make a flashcart that works with USB? It's fucking annoying having to get an old computer just to be able to dump to a flashcart. Also TmEE says that then it'd take too long to flash the entire cart... but when I use flash drives I definitely can write 4MB in some 10-20 seconds, so honestly that arguement is flawed (and we all know he loves DOS and LPT =P).

8. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    It's not a stupid question at all, and a lot of people have been asking for one for a long time now. This one was expected to come out several years ago, and I think most people have given up on waiting (although if by some miracle it does come out tomorrow, I'll buy it). There's also this one which came up recently, it's just apparently a major pain to send money to Russia. I've already sold my soul, now I just have to sacrifice my first-born, and I should finally be able to pay the guy, so I'll let everyone know how it goes when/if I get my hands on it.

As for speed, well, the type of flash memory they have to use in order for it to function on the Mega Drive is much slower than what you have in your USB flash drive.

9. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Um, those specs seem overkill. Sorry, but I honestly wouldn't trust that so much... though at least it comes in a cart and not just the board (the cart makes it easier not to break it =P).

If you do tell me, maybe we can send both money together and save some trouble =P (or maybe it introduces more... gah)

Well, that's what I don't get. If you put a ROM that has a very fast response time for the MD, shouldn't it still work? As far as I know the cap is the slower response time, not the fastest. I don't think the situation is any different for Flash or for any kind of directly addressable memory for the matter. Or am I missing something?

10. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Things are behind how the memory works... the memories you need for MD are give address get a word type, no multiplexing or anything else. Other cheap memories are working more like in sector fashion and sequentially and this proposes lot of limitations how the memory could be used. I need to examine a datasheet of some NAND flash to see if what I said is not total nonsense :P

11. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    The non-multiplexed thing is quite memory-independent, and the sector system only affects how to write to Flash memory (you only can clear entire sectors, this is done for speed reasons because clearing is slow), not how do you read from it (which is what the Mega Drive would do) as far as I know, so how the sectors are defined doesn't matter either.

12. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    You see, if it weren't for lazy people then technology wouldn't advance, it sounds contradictory but think, imagine if someone released a SD card enable Mega Drive card, meaning you could put your roms in a SD card and make the Mega Driver Cart load a boot menu, a simple one but one that could let you choose what games to load. That could make a few bucks, not as much as a DS flash card but enough to make the day, or at least make the e-penis of its creator quite large.

One question, how is the mechanism of connecting for the Megacart works, is it a serial connection or a parallel port, second is this connection limited by the Mega Drive hardware or is it independent from it?

13. mdawgmike

mdawgmike

I just got my Megacart in today. This thing rocks! I tried it with several roms on my computer (even user-made ones...which is the main reason I bought it) and it works perfectly with one exception. Unfortunately, my Genesis hangs when loading my favorite level of my favorite hack (Genocide City of Sonic 2 Long Version). I'm not quite sure why. Other than that, it is everything I have ever dreamed of. It's worth every penny to me.

To answer your question, the adapter connects to your computer via the Parallel Port (in EPP mode) and uses the USB 5V just to get power. They have the adapter utility for download, which is what communicates with the Megacart and allows you to Flash the bios and roms to it. The manual says you can use a utility disc with the Mega CD/Sega CD as well, but I haven't tried that method yet. I probably should eventually, just to avoid wearing down the connector on the adapter.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Is there a FAQ anywhere on how to install/run the utility, or is it obvious enough to not need one? I've yet to try my flashcart.

15. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Maybe the hack doesn't work in real hardware in the first place?

16. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    it was simple enough for me.... first you set the protocol then Send ROM and off you go :(

17. mdawgmike

mdawgmike

Surprisingly there isn't any documentation at all on how to flash roms to it. Although, as said, it's fairly simple to figure out. You first have to download and install the "Megacart adapter driver" from their site (which is really just a simple program to connect to the cartridge through the parallel port). Make sure your parallel port is set to EPP mode in your BIOS. Then, connect the adapter cables, insert the cartridge to the adapter, turn on the power switch on the adapter, open the program, set the protocol to "Printer", send the ROM, set the protocol to none, turn off the power switch, remove the cartridge, and your ROM is ready to be played on your Genesis!

I can post a tutorial with screen shots and pictures if you guys want. It's something some may find beneficial I would think.

Yea, that's probably the case. Actually, I've found only two of the hacks so far play flawlessly. It seems that the less-edited hacks (I.e. no major graphical changes) are the ones that play better. It's probably not a problem with the cartridge, but the fact that few (if any) of the roms were tested with a Genesis. They work with the Emulators, so it was considered good enough. Here's what I've found so far with compatibility of various titles:

Project Shadow 2 Demo - minor to moderate graphical glitches present
    Robotnik's Revenge - plays flawlessly
    Sonic 2 Advanced Edit - system hangs on the second zone
    Sonic 2 Long Version - plays flawlessly with the exception of Genocide City zone (system hangs)
    Sonic 2 Megamix - plays flawlessly

Earthworm Jim - plays flawlessly
    Krusty's Super Funhouse - plays flawlessly
    Toejam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron - plays flawlessly
    Any Electronic Arts title - does not play at all (Tototek admits this themselves...possibly a form of DRM, or something else in how the ROMs are constructed)

I'll update this this as I try more titles. Any others to add to the list (hack or not) that anyone else with a Megacart has tried out?

18. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Oh, OK, that sounds simple enough. Might hook it up soon and give it a go with something =P