don't click here

Megacart help

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jigen, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    Just got a Megacart. Hooked both printer and usb cables up. Yet when I run the Megacart software and choose printer protocol, the megacart cant be found. Selecting usb it tells me 'usb oueseb32.dll error'. Anyone have any clue what I'm doing wrong here?

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    You might have to change the settings on your parallel port from the windows OS menu.

3. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Forget the USB mode, you need to run it with parallel. A few points:
    1. You need to be using a "real" parallel port, not a usb->parallel adapter or the like. There is no parallel adapter in existence which supports the necessary modes to run this device.
    2. Your parallel port needs to be set to EPP mode in the system BIOS. Note that this is NOT the default on many systems. Check it in your system bios under "Integrated Peripherals" or the like.

4. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    Thanks guys, seems to be working now. Well, it shows Megacart contents at least, still need to try flashing it and whatnot. You'd think they would mention the port settings somewhere when you purchase the thing, oh well.

5. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Selecting USB is meaningless as the USB is only used to power the device. If you get cart detected and see contents, things are ready to run.

6. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    On a side note, anyone know where to find a Megakey, or similar device? Shops I've found that sell it are sold out, presumably for a long time now.
    Also looking for a DC-X, or DC modchip

7. mdawgmike

mdawgmike

Hey, is the Megacart the same thing as this (says it's manufactured by tototek):

http://www.tototek.com/pio/main1/SUBMENU/P.../OS/mdpro64.htm

It seems like it would be well worth it to me. Probably a little over $100 with shipping to be able to cram all the wonderful ROM hacks available, plus any other rare games that are either impossible to find or cost a small fortune, all on one cartridge. Does it work good for those who have used it? I have a computer available with both a USB and Parallel port running Windows 98, so I think I should be good. Is there a more "local" variant available anywhere, or do I have to buy overseas?

Thanks

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Dunno. The Megacart comes with a case of it's own, so... *shrugs*

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    This is the MegaCart: http://products.genny4ever.net/megacart_v1x.html

Completely distinct, and has special MCD features. I'm honestly hoping they make one just to override the SCD bios to play any region CD, so I can play the actual J-region Sonic CD on it.

10. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Well, making one without flashcart and saving features will not make it cost less than version with all stuff with it... funny things with electronic components and their prices...

Megacart is worth every cent it costs, totally jawusum thing, especially for playing MCD games.

11. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    It's a commodity though, so they get to choose any price they want regardless if it's cheaper or not, which is crazy when you think about it! It still annoys me that 8cm compact discs are a few dollars higher than the standard 12cm discs o_o

Anyway, I've never really bothered checking into this Mega Cart thing. I've heard of it, but didn't know much about it. I'm reading the website, and it seems interesting, but the details are a little unclear. Can you actually download ROM data onto the cart and transfer it to a PC, and vice-versa? If I ever got one, that's the main reason I would get it. I have over 100 Genesis games, and I wouldn't mind backing them up. I know I can just download the ROMs off the internet, but I guess I'm anal or something, I'd just like to have MY versions if that makes any sense.

12. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    You can burn several ROMs onto the cart either from PC (through LPT port and linker board) or from MD+MCD off a CD. You cannot back up a regular MD cart, the linker device is only for the Megacart (or MD-Pro). To dump your games using minimal DIY, you need a MCD and a LPT cable and some soft on both sides... oh, and a piece of tape :P

13. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Yeah I've heard of that method before. I think it was Mask of Destiny that came up with the method wasn't it? It always seemed a bit of work to me, and I figured just having a device do it would be the easiest route. That, and the fact that both my Sega CD systems don't even work... the light doesn't even come on on either of them. I'm sad T_T

14. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    Where is MoD? It would be awesome to have him back...

15. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
  16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It was MoD, yeah. I remember reading about his MCD and his transfer cable on Sonic CulT - hell, I think I even have the EU ISO for his utility disc somewhere.

Did he ever join Retro? I know he's on SegaDev...

17. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Buried under SSRG Somewhere Tech Member
    Academy City
    SSRG, world domination, a billion and one research projects...
    I believe MoD joined here, but hasn't been active here in forever. It would be neat to see him come back, though.

18. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    He's on here, just not really at all. Ever. And like Stealth, sometimes he seems to be unappreciated or ignored, even though both of them have done fantastic things for the Sonic hacking community, let alone the Sega hacking community. Anyhoo, the last time I found him online was posting on Pelican Parts (a car forum)... yesterday.

MoD's profile on Pelican Parts

19. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    I have a question, is it possible to create a backup carts similar to the DS flash cards but for the Mega Drive, I always wondered why there isnt anything like that.

20. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Not popular enough to spend money on development I guess, the DS is a huge selling portable too.