don't click here

Takashi Iizuka's levels

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by sonicteamUSA, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    I played 3D Sonic before the 2D ones, but I got into 2D Sonic around 2006 and I can say that either you haven't tried putting effort into the games, or you just suck.

I wonder, though; how often do you roll in 2D Sonic games? You have problems with enemies popping up of nowhere... rolling stops stuff like that from effecting you too much.

Also, Takashi Iisuka doing Sonic 2's object placement, huh? In before PPA.

2. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    If you make a long-ass description of how it plays, every level in the world will sound interesting. Running down a hill, leap across a chasm of lava, skipping across the platforms which become engulfed in flames, heading into that cave, breaking those bloicks, evading cleverly placed swooping bats, pushing the obstacle then running like hell before the big ass lava catches up to you etc. Which level am I taking about?

There you go again, showing your assumption down the public throat once again. You suck not beacuse you didn't memorize the whole level, but you suck _tremendously_ should you honestly be thinking that's the only proper way to win at a game.

What about reflexes, intuition, navigation skills - you know, actually being there and responding to the environment, like, in real time and stuff? All you're leaning on is a string of moves in a familiar environment - it's like praising Scrambled Egg Zone because it practically plays itself once you learn which paths to take.

...come to think of it, you should play Sonic OVA some day. You'll find it the best game in the world.

I "never hear anyone talk" about how great Ilzuka's design is.

WTF? First off, there are slopes, and there is a quarter-loop. And talking about "some tiny rooftops" - and at the same time praising "some tiny ramps" from City Escape...man, you're so inconsistent.
    Second. Getting consumers interested...yeah, the Ilzuka levels do a real good job at that, getting all the attention and having the longevity of a class mascot hamster - but it's not about deep gameplay, it's about "getting consumers interested"...right? You speak corporate now.
    And if you wish to be grappled by the M4D ADR3NALLYNE~~ go play a racing game and please stop poisoning Sonic (a platform game) with it.

Not the level layouts too, I suppose? Because the two are like, very different things.

3. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    At Dawn rich in platforming? Not in any world I live in. I'm pretty sure At Dawn can be completed with very little if any jumping. The most complex platforming in At Dawn is just jumping from crevice to crevice optionally in the upper part of the level.

And since when do dash pads epitomize platforming?

4. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    Who said it was rich in platforming?

5. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    It can be rich in platforming. Then again, you could run around and navigate through the traffic if you wish.

A good level is a diverse one, not a speedfest.

6. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    That's actually interesting. But I'm not sure why he never mentioned this in any of his interviews.
    Here's a quote from an EGM interview from 03'
    "EGM: Which of the Mega Drive Sonic games is your favorite, and why?

TI: I was the designer of Sonic 3 and Knuckles, but my favorite is still Sonic 2. "
    But how is Takahiro Anto an alias for him? Still, if this is true, the levels with better object placement like Emerald Hill and Chemical Plant were likely done by him. While other placements like Oil Ocean and Metropolis were likely by Hirokazu. There was another object placement designer, but I don't know much about him.

That's because most of the sonic fanbase, except the hardcore fans, don't know Iizuka is a level designer. But they do know he's a director. And besides, you don't need to hear the words "Iizuka is a great LD!" from a fan. Go to YouTube and look up the comments for the sonic/shadow SA2 design, or speed highway, etc. saying something along the lines of "Dat level was da shitz!". They're everywhere. Or friends PMing me on the site saying which levels are their favorite. Unfortunately, you'll likely get tried of also seeing a lot of comments along the lines of "why does sonic sound so retarded? why does tails sound like a girl? Ahh, 4kids ruined sonic"

Why on earth are you comparing roofs with ramps? How big do you want the ramps? 20 feet? Besides, if the ramps were bigger, it would be a little to easy to line up your direction and perform a trick.

Remember the dreamcast limitations. And the amount of staff, LD's, and levels needed to be created.
    Which is why with Sonic Heroes not being made on dreamcast, the environments were so much bigger. Creating a more believable experience. Curse the RenderWare though, lol.

I love all that stuff. Just not when it's presented in a tedious way. I'm a big fan of Super Mario World, Zelda, Resident Evil 4, Banjo Tooie.

I though Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog had plenty of platforming. A lot more than the Adventure games. That's whay I llike about him. He uses all the moves in sonic's disposal to create levels that use a lot of those moves. He relied on mainly speed in Sonic Adventure because there wasn't a lot sonic could do. With SA2, he was able to make his levels better due to the ability to grind and some more polished physics. But like I said many times, the exploration aspect was for the treasure hunting levels. That's where you'll find your sexy multiple paths.
    Here's a quote from Iizuka from 03'
    In the Sonic Adventure series, the whole concept was for the players to enjoy a wide variety of gameplay -- the treasure hunt, the high-speed action, and the shooting.
    It makes sense from a game design viewpoint. If he included 50% speed with 50% platforming in sonic/shadow levels, it would have broken up the flow. Like he said, "high speed action". That means speed, grinding, and home attacks. It makes sense, don't you think?

7. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    Well that and Hirokazu Yasuhara was an infinitely better level designer. Iizuka created some nice levels in his day, but none of them had depth, and it's likely that some of the blame for the linearity and lack of z-axis variety of the 3D games could be tagged on him. His works always seemed more focused on aesthetic effect.

8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Iizuka's levels are sort of fun.

But, it's not the kind of fun you can sit there and savour like a good pie. And I like pie. No, they're more like a rollercoaster, as has been said -- but also there's a certain charm to them you don't get in Yasuhara's levels, not superior at all but just different.

Thing is, they're only fun if you play them as intended. Hands up who failed to hit a speed booster on an angled incline, and as a result ended up falling to their doom? How about staying on the 'glitchy' section of a curved area following a loop? Probably a few people. These levels aren't terrible per se, but they could be a lot better. As it is, there's about one or two 'recommended' ways you can go through a level and that's all you're getting. Watch some runs of people playing, say, City Escape in SA2, and most of them play it exactly the same. Almost like the level is one giant set-piece (or technically, several with no breaks in between).

So, I guess the whole topic has at some point devolved into two camps, devout fans of the Yasuhara approach with varying rhythm, pace and (arguably) creativity; against Iizuka fans (mostly sonicteamUSA) who like the thrillride and feel uncomfortable out of that whole 'learn the one best way to play the level' mindset.

I can enjoy Iizuka's levels, but give me some oldschool any day. Thanks.

9. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    At Dawn? Don't think I've ever seen that level. Off to Retropedia, then. :)

On topic; for me, many of the levels that I know Takashi made, are indeed, very fun to play. They won't win the "Dear god, I forgot I was playing a video game and spent 2 days exploring a single level" Award, but they are quite fun.

Whoever designed the levels for De Blob, however, are fucking getting that award if I have to create it myself.

To truly create a rich level experience using Takashi Iizuka as an LD, there would have to be someone who could balance his thrill-ride design with a more expansive kind of design point in order to balance it. A Dynamic Foil, if you will.

If Sonic Team can find Takashi's "Kisatah Ikaizu," then by George, they just might hit something.

10. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    It's the 3rd part of Speed Highway in SA1.

11. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    Oh, right. The part where you end up in an open city with bustling streets and whatnot? I always thought that was a nice way to end the stage.

The starts of with Sonic racing through a highway in the sky, being pursued by Eggman's Policecar-bots, and you make your escape by racing down the side of a giant skyscraper. And what happens afterward?

You're rewarded with a beautiful, busy city, just as the Sun rises. after running for your life in a deadly raceway, you see another side of the urban life; the calm and inspiring city neighborhoods. It's almost symbolic of the two sides of city life. You have the dangerous, dark, and unpredictable highway, and then you escape to the bright, tranquil, yet at the same time, lively urban streets, complete with a track that is practically saying "Conglaturations, Sonic. You survived the night in the deadly city highway. But the city, like most things, is a double edged sword. Overcome the night and there will always be a new day ahead."

In fact, this one level explains the lesson taught for the entirety of Sonic Unleashed. Weird.

12. ArchangelUK

ArchangelUK

Used to do things. No one quite recalls what. Member
    UK
    AAUK = ArchangelUK = SEGA Europe Online Community Manager (amongst other things),

You're sort of in the right area here, but to clarify - during Iizuka-san's NiGHTS tour I tried to get DiGi & TRiPPY (or one of them) down so they could meet and interview him. However the distance and time - I wasn't exactly given much notice on the spaces available <_< - meant they couldn't come down from Edinburgh. Instead I took their place and interviewed Iizuka along with Mike Taylor of SCD (who was representing Nintendo Life on that occasion) and Graham from SEGA Nerds. The latter actually recorded the interview. NiD.Com provided me with a big list of questions about NiGHTS (a couple of which got a rather surpised reaction). Time was short because of jet lag, Iizuka-san look thoroughly exhausted tbh after a whirlwind european tour. NiD.com got a variety of signed merch from the interview. I've got the interview somewhere... if you guys want me to put it up and a link lemmie know.

If people wanted to ask Iizuka some Q's they need to email me with details, though please be aware that obviously the man is frightfully busy and they may take a while to come back...

13. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    Wow, I can't believe it's really you. You don't need to link the interview, as I've read it many times back in 07'. I even listened to the recording back at the NiGHTS Community. It was a great pleasure to listen to, but nothing about level design came up. It was still very satisfying.

......I have no words to express this. You'd really do that?!
    But I really don't think the question "What levels did you design in these games?" is an appropriate Q.

This is an extremely talented designer we're talking about. One that I've looked up to for a very long time. So I think I'll need some time to think of appropriate questions.
    I'm very grateful for you even considering this though, so thanks!

By the way, does he understand written english? I've noticed in all of his video interviews he speaks only japanese. And in that recent 07 one, he needed a translator. I was expecting him to know some after living in the US for 8 years. Shame he moved back to Japan...

14. ArchangelUK

ArchangelUK

UK
    I think its a case of Iizuka-san being able to speak some English and understand some English but is in no way fluent. I've been on English emails from him before so he can communicate in English somewhat.. to be honest I was rather in awe when I met him. Though he was facinated by the level of fan interest in NiGHTS on NiD, I got him to sign some printouts of TRiPPY's art for her and he spent about 5 mins just looking them over.

If you guys (probably best you do them together as Sonic Retro) put together a list of questions you'd like to ask him I shall see what I can do... can't make any promises on when you'll get them back but I'll see what I can do. They'll end up getting translated into Japanese in any case so I wouldn't worry about language too much, just make them concise.

So if you guys think up maybe 10 questions you'd love answered we shall see what can be done....

15. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Question for Iizuka:

Was the shift in direction in Sonic (More showy, great-to-watch action as opposed to traditional platforming) something of an internal decision, a marketing-led decision or an intended evolution of the series?

16. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    "Why so much grinding? homing attacking across the heads of enemies? aerial launch hoolahoops? <insert other overused gimmick that refuses to die>"

17. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    It's very appropriate, considering half this thread was arguing which levels he designed. Just don't ask it like that.

18. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    Here's some Q's I think are pretty good:

1) When you design a level, how much do you collaborate with the field artists? Do they come up with the concept of the stage, or do you?

2) Who made the decision to close Sega Studio USA down? Was it Sega of Japan wanting Sonic Team to stay as one division? What are your reactions to this?

3) What are the hard parts and easy parts in designing a level? How much time usually takes in finishing a level design? Final Rush from Sonic Adventure 2 and Rail Canyon from Sonic Heroes are very complex in their geometry and offer many exilirating moments, where these stages difficult or fun to design?

At the end if you can, tell him we wish him the best of luck on his future projects :colbert: I don't think it's appropriate to just ask him Q's without at least complimenting him

19. ArchangelUK

ArchangelUK

UK
    Like I said, if you want to organise it... go ahead :colbert:

20. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    Well, how about something along the lines of:
    "Which level designs did you have the most enjoyable time working on?"

I just don't think it would be a good idea to actually ask him to list every single level he did from Sonic Adventure through NiGHTS JoD. I feel like that would annoy him in a way. AAUK said he's frightfully busy, so we should try to make him feel good when he's reading this.

Another good question I can think of is:
    "In an interview with Hashimoto-san, he stated you are now the sub-manager at the Japan Division. What does this mean in terms of your involvement in future games? Will you continue to direct games and design exilirating levels?"

Maybe you should rephrase that so it doesn't sound offensive. If you re-phrase it, we would so far have 7 questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.