don't click here

In Three Years...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by PC2, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I don't see the problem with grinding, though I'd like the skill needed in Sonic Adventure 2 to return.

2. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I like grinding a lot. I just want a consequence for bad balance.

3. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    A little of grinding is not a problem, however whole stages build over grinding is a problem.
    I think grinding is a nice feature, but it should not be abused (especially in 2D. Yes, I'm looking at you, Altitude Limit!)

On topic, I think I'll wait before saying anything. I know I can expect everything from Sega, but that doesn't mean that they can't make anything good out of Sonic.

4. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    I've never played a mega man game in my life. And I'm aware it's popular with fans. Also I have a question about this whole Wii Virtual Console thing. How do you know how many downloads a game has got, to know if it actually is popular?
    How many downloads has mega man 9 got? I'm not trying to be smart or anything with you, I actually would like to know.
    Also, I kind of doubt the whole sonic 4 will ever happen. If you've been following the mind-set of sonic team nowadays, you'd know this.
    In a hashimoto unleashed interview, he stated the team don't want to go back to the genesis roots.

Think about it. What kind of people do you imagine playing mega man 9? The same ones who played mega man back in the early days. Others who have never played mega man will likely never even be interested in looking into this title.......like me for example.
    Sonic Team want new people to try their games. So don't expect the same kind of strategy capcom did.

I have the perfect example to argue with what you said there. That is Final Rush VS Rail Canyon.
    In Rail Canyon, not much thought is put into getting through the level. Despite the amazing rail geometry, people can get bored just holding the B button.
    But in Final Rush, why is it that you can play that level many, many times without feeling......like you felt in Rail Canyon? Because of how fun and precise the grinding physics are in SA2.
    Final Rush is all built around grinding and minor platforming. But it's very engaging for the player.

In the 2D games, I can understand grinding to be tiring when built through the entire level, b/c it's not very engaging like in 3d. In 2D, you just watch sonic go without a lot of interaction.

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I suppose, but I still think Sonic Team should make a Sonic 4. As a "thanks" to the fans who have kept Sonic going since the beginning. Maybe as a way to bring back fans to the series who have left ever since the change to the (usually) lower-quality 3D games. As a way to say, "Hey guys, we haven't forgotten you."

6. Rokkan

Rokkan

Hello I'm that guy who didn't play any of 8-bit Megaman games and barely cleared any other Megaman title and I fucking loved MM9.
    And yes, MM9 was fucking popular.

7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I don't think Final Rush is a good example, primarily for being a crappy level (But that should come as no surprise, I think any Sonic level that is more hole than ground is crap). Grinding is usually used as a crutch, but in Sonic Unleashed, there's little difference between running and grinding. Sonic game play need to be the end itself, rather than means to an end, like grinding.

8. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    Yes, I know. But how many downloads is what I want to know.

Crappy?! Wow! I can argue with you on that issue all day. Especially from a "design meets physics" perspective.

If the controls aren't up to the job. But you just make an assumption that just because you're grinding atop the earth, that'll you'll fall to your death constantly. When the controls are near perfect as is the intensity of the physics. Even my first timer friend who I taught to play the level. He enjoyed it very much. Yes he fell to his death b/c he was getting used to the grinding mechanics and clever level patterns, but after that, he had no prob getting through it.

The problem there is that it's just way too easy.

9. Rokkan

Rokkan

I couldn't find the whole number, but in one day, it surpassed every WiiWare title's download number - that's a lot.

10. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    Alright, thanks for telling me.

11. Insert Coin(s)

Insert Coin(s)

Broletariat Member
    ???
    IT
    Since when? :)

12. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    Look at the entire Sonic Unleashed thread. Look around alot of sonic communities. ALOT of people like Sonic Unleashed. Yes, it has it's faults, but every Sonic game has them. The only real complaints that have been made are generally towards the Wii/PS2 version. The only ones who don't seem to like Sonic Unleashed are the reviewers (which I don't think we need to get into a discussion again).

EDIT: Fixed a mistake.

13. Insert Coin(s)

Insert Coin(s)

Broletariat Member
    ???
    IT
    I must be mistaken then. I've heard nothing but criticism. But then again, I've only heard a few comments about the game. I don't spend my time in 300+ page threads often. Not saying this thread, but the actual Sonic Unleashed thread.

14. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    I can say that the actual gameplay for unleashed on the ps2 version was great and I'd like to play the ps3 version whenever I get the money to get a nextgen console.

15. The Segan

The Segan

RIP 1991-1998 Member
    I hate to acknowledge it, but I think a lot of parallels can be drawn between Sonic and MTV.

Think about it. MTV was considered a major generational trend back in it's heyday. Today it continues to rake in enormous amounts of revenue, but who really watches it? It's no longer seen as a major cultural force, nearly all of it's original appeal has been lost, and times have changed, people have grown up. It's nothing more than a shadow of what it used to be, and everyone knows that once the lowest cultural denominator loses interest in it's weak novelties and gimmicks such "bling bling" and reality tv, it is doomed.

Find any article or tirade about the decline of MTV, replace it with "Sonic" and music with "complex yet fast and satisfying gameplay" and you're on the money, literally. Sonic needs a new home just as surely as music videos do.

16. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    ...that is probably the most logical view on the franchise I've heard from someone yet. I have to agree with you.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Indeed...and the main issue with MTV is that it's no longer about music videos at all -- they make up a very tiny fraction of the content that they air these days.

MTV clearly has SA2 syndrome.

VH1 Classic is still going strong though.

18. The Segan

The Segan

RIP 1991-1998 Member
    That would be the Genesis Collection.

19. BuffaloWilder

BuffaloWilder

One of these men cannot be right. Member
    Also relevant - MTV made up the bulk of Sonic's advertising base. They even aired a TV special, ere the release of Sonic & Knuckles.

So many levels.

20. So Sonic Advance were those saturday afternoon broadcasts of Beavis and Butthead?

Also, someone needs to tell SonicteamUSA that Unleashed sucks.