don't click here

Does the drowning music scare you?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SonikkuForever, Nov 14, 2008.

Does the "drowning music" scare you?

1. Yes! It's so creepy!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not anymore, but it scared me when I was younger.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No way! How is it scary?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It really depends whether or not there's bubbles. I've got used to it so much that I remember that there's 3 chimes before it starts. I even imagine a bar with three lights whenever I get underwater, and each time the chime would sound a light would go out. That helps me keep track because my attention span apparently has a random length.

2. RamiroR

RamiroR

The most frustating thing is when you WAIT for a bubble, and it doesn't come out , and you drown before it comes out, is.. mad xD

3. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    I used to panic in the first years I played Sonic at Labyrinth Zone. In the SMS version, which has no drowning music, just a series of 'beeps' that become faster with the countdown.

Another branch of my family had the Mega Drive and Sonic 1. I loved the graphics of that game. But however I panicked again when I first listened to the countdown sound... in Scrap Brain act 3. Watching Sonic drowning in a pond of contaminated purple water was too much for my irrational panic. I remember my cousin saying: please stay, please don't go home, it's just a game!

I used to exit the room and decline playing in my turn when a water level had to be passed. However, when I was 10, I decided it was time to defy my fears and watch entirely a game by my elder cousin, who completed the levels without a problem. And I did.

Now I like water levels. Precisely because they're difficult. I think I'm going to play Sonic 1 again.

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Not to mention that the countdown timer in Sonic 1 SMS comes out LONG before the last 5 seconds, thus making one experienced with the Genesis titles keep thinking there's far less time than there really is.

5. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I still shit my pants when I make it to Labirynth Zone. I totally try and avoid water levels in any Sonic game because they're always scare me

6. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    The drowning music never scared me. It was the timer bubbles from Sonic CD and drowning sfx from Sonic 1 and 2 that scared me and still kinda irk me today. The Sonic 3/Knuckles/CD one I guess didn't sound as much as someone drowning as it did.......whuurblurblurblurblurblurblur....Oh god.. now I've got the US Boss theme playing in my head.
    Now I'm scared..

7. It doesn't really scare me, it just screams "HOLY SHIIT YOU'RE GOING TO DIE. RUN FOR IT FGT"

8. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    The Genesis countdown takes way longer than 5 seconds as well, I think it's around 12 seconds total.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, that's true. I guess I should have said that the SMS timer starts what seems like 5-10 seconds in while the Genesis timer lasts for like 10 seconds and thus starts 20 seconds in.

10. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    That, sir, is an excellent idea. Thank you =P

11. SonicLegend

SonicLegend

When I was little, I was scared stiff of the music in Labyrinth Zone, when my siblings were Playstation any Sonic levels with water in them, I would always run off. I didn't even get to see Labyrinth Zone, Scrap brain Zone 3 or Aquatic Ruin until I was like 14.

12. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    When I was YOUNGER it never scared me but I did use to panick when it got faster and faster- and very relived when it stopped-

Though my friend used to be terrified of it- and he could NEVER EVER get past that CPZ2 bit with the rising pink goo of death as he called it...XD When I could get all the way up the the WFZ Boss! :3

Good old days...:|

13. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    The drowning music has never scared me. Rather, the water levels used to just piss me off when I drowned.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    You know what WAS kinda creepy in Sonic 2, though? Like, in EHZ2 at the end when the boss comes in and the music fades out to silent and then the new music starts. That always kinda freaked me out a bit.

15. Blue Warrior

Blue Warrior

USA
    Sonic 1 soundtrack
    When you're right by the bubble, the music really isn't that alarming. It's mostly the fact that you're going to die in fifteen seconds if you don't get a bubble, and the music intensifies it by kind of going "oshit, oshit, oshit, oshit, oshit-oshit-oshit-oshit OSHIT-OSHIT-OSHIT-OSHIT RUN YOU FAGGOT YOU'RE GOING TO DIE IN THREE SECONDS"

That being said, it's wonderful music for the purpose it serves. Yeah, it freaked me the hell out when I was little.

16. The Segan

The Segan

RIP 1991-1998 Member
    I don't think I was as intimidated by the drowning music as I was by the game over countdown music.

If I left the room and heard it I would panic and sprint back to the console, pressing start to inspire Sonic to continue was of utmost importance.

17. BlitzHedgie

BlitzHedgie

Brisbane, Australia.
    SRB2 Kart server maintenance
    Wow, reading this makes me remember that I used to be really scared of a lot of things in Sonic games. For some odd reason, when I was REALLY young, I was afraid of the 'SEGA!' sound at the start of the games. I have NO idea why I was. I was definitely afraid of the drowning countdown music, as well as the game over music (but wasn't really as bad, as I didn't really hear it too often, and if I did, I just hit reset right away).

Random note: I was also afraid of the first boss in Sonic Spinball (MD). When I first played it (I was 7 or so at the time) it scared the shit out of me, and I didn't play the game again for several years. I think it was the look of it and the sounds it made. I played the game again a couple of years later, still a little worried because of my previous reaction, but I just looked at it and was like 'WTF, why was I scared of that? o.O'

18. xcliber

xcliber

My initial reaction wasn't as extreme as other peoples, but I still nearly have a heart attack when I'm standing on the bubble thing waiting for a big one to come up but it just wont appear! Especially when it comes just as the timer hits 0. I've literally got the bubble after the music stopped playing, and sigh a huge sigh of relief as I sink back into my chair again, having come milliseconds away from drowning.

19. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I wasn't scared of the drowning music, but the electro ball bonus stage in Sonic & Knuckles scared me.

E:Dammit, Apple, learn to make a keyboard

20. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    I never got scared of the music as such, but it made me want to find an air bubble as soon as possible! Even now when I hear it I think about where the nearest bubble source is!

The fact that it gets faster and faster and suddenly stops when Sonic drowns is probably the freakiest thing about it. Also, I think in the 50hz version that I'm used to, Sonic doesn't drown the moment the music stops - there's a 1-1.5 second delay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.