don't click here

I Got KEGA To Crash...

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by saxman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    One thing that annoys me is that I get a BSoD when going full screen with Fusion & now Regen. I don't need full screen, but I'm just used to Gens' controls with ESC pausing the emulation.
    Just saying, nothing really interesting, my video drivers, which is Intel's, fails with this.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I didn't even say what joystick is mine o_o' Can you predict the future or what?

By the way, "Macro Vibration Joystick", just in case =P

3. Hehe. *feels special* Needless to say, a new Kega release is going to be VERY interesting to play with. :)

@ Sik - Do you recommend that kind of joypad? I saw one and thought about getting it, but if there's 'issues' I may not. What's the best kind of gamepads/joysticks out there that works best with Kega and other emulators? ;)

4. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    LPT port + Linux DB9 LPT adaptor + MD 6-button pad + Parallel Port Joystick proggy

This is the best combination ever

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Dude, that's HARDCORE =P

6. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I think most sonic hackers active here would cheer for a Kega debugger. (hint hint @ Steve)

7. Well, there already is one in Kega, as you probably already know, but it's removed from the general releases. ResHack the Kega executable and look at the menus.

8. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Yes I know it's there. Steve told me abt it but it's still hidden because he wasn't happy with it in its current state.

9. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I'd love a Fusion with a debugger...

10. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Still it's up to Steve.

11. Still, if a debugger was added to the release version, it should be hidden by default with an INI option to enable it.

12. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    There's two reasons I still use Genecyst every now and then:

- It has debugging tools, such as a palette viewer and such
    - It's the only emulator with an advance frame that actually works properly (the KMod Gens frame advance is all screwed up).

If those two things were available in Kega, I'd never have any reason to use another emulator ever again!

13. Moogle!

Moogle!

Don't tell us, tell Steve. :p

14. I think he'll read this topic again and perhaps make note of the suggestions? Or you can ask Steve, don't be shy. Besides, there should be a new release soon, which will prove that Kega's not dead, I guarantee it! :psyduck:

Ok, let me put it this way, what are some beneficial features Kega should have, but doesn't? And why should such a feature be added? :colbert:

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, one thing I would like that hasn't been mentioned here is a 1:1 pixel (noninterlaced) mode for games that use it like Sonic 2 does. This way the 2-player mode doesn't look so squashed while playing.

It's been something I wanted to see in a solid emulator since Sega Smash Pack, which had it for that very purpose - a "proper" aspect ratio for Sonic 2.

Another one is a Gear-to-Gear mode that, even if it can't be done through a network, at least on a single PC unit. This one comes inspired by SADX, which had it.

One other thing is to add an option to extend the viewing area of the game gear to that of the SMS. Several GG games were compatible with a machine that did just this for the purposes of demos and such*. Sonic 2 is noted for this, as some graphics and level design seem to have been built around this.
    * I think this is right -- I vaguely recall this from the now defunct SOST's page on Sonic 2 GG.

16. Snake

Snake

Tech Member
    You can do that with the 'expert options', but admittedly only in full screen.

Currently this is very non trivial. But it would be cool. And I did intend on writing a GG emulator years ago that did just this. Maybe later.

rename .gg rom to .sms and try it - is that what you mean?

17. Can't you already zoom in on GG games using the GG Zoom option?

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Snake's right. That's what I'm looking for basically. The only real problem is that it loads palettes like in the Master System so everything is shades of green, and the controls seemed to have locked up (trying this with Sonic 2 GG). It's different from the zoom feature in that I can see parts of the video buffer (I think that's what that is) that aren't visible on screen, increasing the visibility of obstacles.

EDIT: Actually, you know what ought to be a higher priority, if possible? Enabling support for rar and 7z compressed archives.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Actually from my understanding of compressed archives, that should be trivial. Gerbil added it to Gens/GS very quickly.

20. AamirM

AamirM

Tech Member
    Hi,
    Yeah, by using other libraries. Somone already said that Steve Snake likes to write all the code in the main executable himself. Which means he probably wrote zip support code himself too in the first place (cool!). So that makes it not so trivial. But then again, you may never know :( .

@Snake:

Add a pause feature :eng101: . That should be trivial ;) . It'll be awesome to see new Kega version too.

And btw, if you didn't already fixed it, I read somewhere that Street Racer crashes/locks on Kega. I had the same sort of problem in Regen some time ago and I fixed it by adding a delay of exact 24 68k cycles on vint enable/disable (with vdp reg 1) and there hasn't been a broken games thus far. I haven't tested it on real hardware but I am pretty sure it will be somewhere around that (correct me if I am wrong).

stay safe,

AamirM