don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    That is /gorgeous/. Should the background scroll a little? I don't believe it did in the original, but I think it may be warranted here.

2. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    The sparkle could be an interesting effect.

For the shine, I have in mind a gradient. So, a darker blue transitioning to a light blue - as if the runway were a reflective surface that had been very well polished.

By the way CK, I've been impressed with your attitude and effort so far. If you have the time and feel motivated enough to contribute to the remastering of some of the project's sprite assets, that would be great too :)

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oops, looks like the yellow tubes aren't lit anymore, but only their side is (which shouldn't be brighter than the rest of the spheres).

And speaking of the tubes, please note that in some frames you can see that they're actually not attached to the half-pipe:
    [​IMG]
    Also, they have a sligthly smaller sphere on their side, similar to the others on top of the tunnel. It seems like their shape's a bit different in your version, making the whole thing look like... something else.

Looking great besides that, though. I think this should be the way to go with the Special Stage. I'd try adding some "fog" at the end of the tunnel, so you can't see anything appearing all of a sudden, and make colors look more like the original (some are too dark and some too bright, right now).

Also, is the cel-shading really necessary?

4. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    If anyone is in a creative mood and and feels motivated, we could use a flickering effect for the monitor:

http://sanik.hacking-cult.org/inker/inking...king=1211386109

The original sprite merely has one frame of static that flicks on and off:

[​IMG]

...But I think we can do something much better for S2HD...I think some sort of high-tech flickering effect that has multiple frames, that gradually fuzzes, flickers and fades in and out would be awesome.

5. Woot

Woot

I'm unable to view the fla file, but is this what you had in mind?

[​IMG]

6. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Something like that, yes...although I think we need something far more sophisticated than just white/grey dots for static. Also, perhaps something more than just horizontal lines for the static. Like, static that gradually moves to the side, like a TV that has electromagnetic interference. Perhaps the item displayed on the monitor would need to be distorted slightly to produce this effect, I'm not sure.

Good effort though :)

7. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    Concept of flickering monitor
    [​IMG]

8. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Nice, though I think the time of the distort should be much shorter. Also, I think it would look more interesting if the distort had different frames, so it could become diagnonal for an instant, then a horizontal distort, then warp back to normal, if you see what I mean. I think we need some sort of static effect as well combined with this.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I think that the lines of the monitor ought to get staggered, to appear on the fritz, rather than blurry.

10. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    <!--quoteo(post=215843:date=Aug 12 2008, 06:50 PM:name=Woot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woot @ Aug 12 2008, 06:50 PM) [​IMG][/quote]

I like this one.

11. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I do think we need noise/static rather than other effects. There's no doubt that it's what's intended in the original, and it doesn't take a pixel-nut to think that we should go in a similar direction.

That said, the version above that gives it a little more detail when compared to the monitor it's on is a good idea.

12. Baby Ghost

Baby Ghost

Put Tails in every game! Member
    Why not combine the effects?

13. Woot

Woot

<!--quoteo(post=215947:date=Aug 13 2008, 03:01 AM:name=Baby Ghost)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Baby Ghost @ Aug 13 2008, 03:01 AM) [​IMG]

14. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Yes, well done - that is much closer to what I had in mind.

Now the static just needs to be more sophisticated and the warp should have multiple frames I think, so the distorted image actually looks like it moves and changes shape slightly.

There should also be regular intervals of the flicker I think, before the bigger distort combined with the static. Because at the moment there's a long period where you're just looking at the item displayed on the monitor, with no effects whatsoever (even in the original sprite animation for example, the monitor is constantly flickering).

15. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    I've been messing about with a different type of distortion:
    [​IMG]

Personally I like my original "warp" distortion more.

16. Woot

Woot

17. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
  18. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I think the static is a bit much. The shield icon is obscured half the time. What about making the icon a bit more TV-ish, with scanlines, blurring and a sort of high contrast glow?

19. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    I think that's an awesome idea.

20. Wait, what?

From the Project Summary page:
    I also can't help but wonder what's going on with the recent monitor designs.
    They do look pretty cool, yes, but they are nothing like the originals!
    Now, I'm not suggesting that they should be pixel-by-pixel recreations or anything like that, but shouldn't they at least follow the basic snow/static style, instead of adding distortion effects?
    I mean, if it was the original artists' intent, wouldn't they have applied something similar in the first place?

My apologies if this comes off as harsh; I'm merely trying to help the project!