don't click here

Sonic CD

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mobiethian, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Sonic CD is the best Sonic game to date. Bosses were really cool. Environments and music (both of them, though I am partial to the US version) were stylish. It was simple and the time travel and level design were more the fun than jumping on baddies (which were actually pretty scarce). And its intro/end were awesome.

I really wish if nothing else we would see that same time travel mechanic again. It was the greatest innovation in the entire series and not one of the games has even tried to replicate.

2. Chronoja

Chronoja

Sonic CD is a great game, however I must admit, I personally think it is slightly over rated. I never got a chance to play it until not to long ago when I bought the Gems Collection for the PS2.

I can see why it is highly regarded. The game does have some awesomely unique features. The time travel is a brilliant concept, artistic style was beautiful and the whole general gaming concept plus the starting and finishing anime movies are mind blowing :v:

Its the little things that bugged me about it though, which is why I think its over rated. Level design, to me feels a bit clunky and unintuitive. I often hit one of time travel signs, get so close to building up speed and *thud* brought to a halt. The spin dash, well compared to the Sonic 2 variant its just irritating. Also, despite the fact that metal sonic is a great character, and racing him in Stardust Speedway is one of the best parts of any sonic game...I dislike his sprites greatly, always just felt they didn't look right.

The niche feel behind Sonic CD I think lends to its popularity. A similar feel that Chaotix has, which I prefer much more. Regardless, Sonic CD still rocks =D this is just my opinion on it

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Some people just can't stand the game while listening to the (U.S.) music included in Gems Collection, so you might want to play the game again with the original soundtrack in an emulator or something.

I personally think it really makes it feel different. Which one's better will depend on each one's tastes, of course.

4. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Play it on a Japanese Mega-CD. That's the onyl true way to experience the game. (PAL would be fine if not for the 50hz. And on emulators the game's quite unappealing.).

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    These are my 2 biggest gripes with Sonic CD. It's a fucking pain in the arse to time travel and the spindash sucks colossal cock.

Other than that it's OK =P

6. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Well thats the skill, getting Sonic to hit 88mph so he can see some serious shit.

...and palmtree panic past.

7. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I always wanted to play the Japanese version because I think the music fits better... same song in present, past and future but is changed a little bit to go with the time you're in.

8. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    The Japanese music is (in my opinion) FAR SUPERIOR.

The US music is bland and not half as energetic as the JAP/EUR music.

Anyway, Sonic CD is in the top 3 best sonic games (along with Sonic 1 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles)

9. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I think Sonic CD is highly overrated. I liked it better than Sonic 1, but the other 2D Sonics and even most of the 3D games (Besides Shadow and 06' abomonations) are much better than it. I dunno, it was just too slow for me, and there was much more slow trekking and exploring than running around and platforming.

10. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

Germany
    You're playing it wrong then. Go into time attack mode and learn how to really play it!

11. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    What I do is collect all time stones rather than getting a good future in every zone. If you don't miss any, you can have em all at Quartz Quadrant Zone and the rest of the game is a breeze from that point on and fun to explore with good futures. :(

12. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    This game in my opinion is the only true sequel to the first Sonic. I really love this game, and this game was the one that made me understand who truly makes the best Sonic games.
    Time Travel, Time Attack, that marvelous soundtrack, the level art. Everything in this game is perfect. The only problem is that is a little short (Althought Time Attack can take a lot of time from you). I will always wonder what Round would have be R2 (Core Cauldron..... hey, it can be a possible name).

Besides, there are not so many games were the main character kill himself when leaved alone for to much time.

13. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    R2... Wild Wood Zone! ... you never know. ;)

14. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    "Wild Wood", huh? Sound like the name of a bad prono.

Rather than explain why I love that game, I think I'll install it on my PSP again. Who can suggest some good custom soundtracks?

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Check out Mannheim Steamroller's Fresh Aire 8 for an interesting twist.

16. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Wacky Workbench is and always will be my favorite level of ANY Sonic game ^_^

Oh, and the Japanese soundtrack SUCKS! *hides*

17. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

Germany
    saxman no, you're trapped in a twisted mirror dimension where everything's reversed! Come back, quick! *reaches out for his hand*

18. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I have to say I do prefer the music fo Stardust Speedway and Wacky Workbench from the US soundtrack. I think Naofumi was on drugs when he wrote Stardust Speedway's music for the Jap/Eur version. I also find it funny how a few seconds into the Jap/Eur Metallic Madness Bad Future, the guy shouts "Gay!", or what sounds like it anyway =P

I hope this is sarcasm >_>

19. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I have to agree with you there. Wacky Workbench will always be special to me. It's just brilliant, from the bouncy floor to the Vacuum pumps and even the block you have to stand on that instead of killing you, put's you into the pipe that leads to the robot generator. It's set up in such a way that coming back to find something new happens on a regular basis.

20. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I mostly like the music for Wacky Workbench Past, it's total disco fever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.