don't click here

Sonic CD

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mobiethian, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I am a huge Sonic CD fan, it is what got me hooked on Sonic. I play it/listen to random tracks/draw it/try to imitate it... hmmm what else... Anyway, I want to know more about it. Was it really supposed to be tied into Sonic 2 somehow or what? Let's talk about Sonic CD! :(

2. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Meh, Sonic CD had some really cool concepts, but it definately isn't quite as good as it's cracked up to be, imo. I probably preffer Sonic 2, as the spindash feels more natural and things are a lot less cluttered, but it's still a good game. The music from both tracks (US SSZ <3) is pretty good, and you've got to love the insane art in it. The anime cutscenes were pretty cool and interesting, too.

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    If a new Sonic game tried to pull a SSZ with the boosts everywhere and WWZ with the unmanageable electrical floor, though, it wouldn't be taken very well.

Still, I have to commend them for making a game that can be played with an exploratory style (find the robot machine after finding a past post!) or speedy style (just get the time stones!). THAT is what makes the game great for me -- it is actually designed for a lot of exploration.

Always thought placing rings in the middle of the wall was a bit dopey, though.

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Whilst there are many hints, even confirmations, of "Sonic 2 CD" in magazines, the reality is Sonic CD was made by a completely seperate development team, without any involvement from Yuji Naka.

Little is known about why that came to be, even now. We also have no solid evidence what the missing R2 level was.

An interesting piece of Sonic CD trivia I guess is that each Zone is actually a miniture game of it's own, like a stripped down Sonic 1. This is due to the limited memory the M/SegaCD had to cache rom files off the disc in order to run them.

5. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    bosses were too easy booooooooooooooo

Fun game though, I almost wish I didn't sell my copy but I know I probably wouldn't play it anymore either way

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That's an extremely primitive way of putting it.

With disc-based systems, you can't outright read the data on there without constant disc access—you have to move the data into a dedicated RAM area (in this case, ProgramRAM) and run the code from there. The MegaCD only has 256kb of ProgramRAM, so that's the max amount of code you can run at one point in time, not including other programs which may run from WordRAM.

The programs are not "stripped-down," persay; they simply contain only what is needed to run a particular act (and subsequent timezone).

7. SaviourDCX

SaviourDCX

Oldbie
    I use to be hell hooked on Sonic CD, I put it on my PSP with my own custom music and I played it on the train to work and back....fun fun!

8. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    When I was a kid, I thought of Sonic CD to be an advanced version of Sonic 1 with different zones. It wasn't until much later that I found out that it was made by a different development team.

9. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    I'm not seriously replying in this thread as I'd just create a gigantic wall of text praising this wonderful piece of digital art!

Tomorrow I'll return from my vacation and be reunited with my Mega-CD yeaa.

10. Ashura2k

Ashura2k

Thants. Oldbie
    Some great memories attached to Sonic CD. When it first came out my dad got so into it he'd take days off work just to play it, and I remember he called into school for me a few times so I could hang out with him all day and take turns playing the levels. It's the game that got me into the series. To date I consider it the most asthetically pleasing Sonic game. And of course the music was simply amazing. I like both soundtracks equally. Oh, something weird I found out a few weeks ago. Spencer Nilsen is president of this art college less than 20 minutes from where I live. Couple buddies of mine actually took a few courses there, I wanted to nerd out and have them ask him a few questions for me, but decided against it at the expense of probably sounding like a total weirdo :P

11. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    This will surprise anyone who speaks to me a lot. To begin with I fucking hated Sonic CD. I saw it as this game with a kickass soundtrack (No change there, then) and awesome graphics (Again, no change there) but when I played it, it seemed like a good idea turned hideously wrong.

What can I say? The layouts were a mess! It was almost as though the person making the chunks only communicated with the person doing the objects by HAM radio or something, it was just random, and there were odd angles jutting out everywhere, enemies in odd places. WHAT IS THIS SHIT?

And so, that's how it was for years and years. I mean, I played Sonic CD when it first came out, and didn't have any reason to come back to it.

Cue 2004-ish, and I get ahold of a Mega CD and the game (Although I admit. I wanted Final Fight CD to play with a friend, since we'd both got tired of asswhupping Streets of Rage repeatedly) and I got ahold of Sonic CD cheap. Well, I played through and it wasn't bad. Wheras before I thought the good future mechanic was contived to make people explore the levels, it now seemed like the Badnik Generator (Really, what are they called) were never far away from a place where I could travel to the past (Apart from Wacky Workbench) and the special stages, instead of seeming to have random UFOs with bad collision now seemed to have set paths I could follow and intercept. I had got older, and more mature, and this game wasn't bad at all.

And so, I decided to tackle Time Attack. By which I mean, not only unlocking D.A. Garden, but really hammering those times, like I used to with Sonic Jam (Which had happened since I first played Sonic CD). And what do you know? Those weird angles are there for you to score extra height off your jumps, or to set up smooth flow with subsequent sections almost like scoring combos on a pinball table. That odd badnik placement was to combo-bounced the fuck out of and bypass sections by flying right over them. It all started to make sense -- this game is abstract perfection. Apart from Wacky Workbench.

Thus ends my little editorial on why The Work Experience Kid should never have made the 5th zone of Sonic CD. :words:

12. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
  13. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    Sonic CD is easily my favourite Sonic game, and one of the things that got me hooked to it is its soundtrack (talking about the Japanese one).
    It's really well done and feels all around Sonic-y.
    Once I tried the American version and it wasn't quite on par in my opinion, the music isn't even consistent across the three timezones, and overall an huge mess. Some American songs sound good, though.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Best Sonic game evar (for me).

If only they had kept that second level...

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, the lack of any lava in the game always disappointed me.

16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Best Game of my life.

My only complain is that Sonic CD 2 was canceled. When I'll have some free time (Let's say in year 2030 :P ) I will make a Metal Sonic standing frame!

17. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    I remember when I was in 2nd grade I would go home and play the crap out of the PC version. Good times.

18. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Tidal Tempest is my favorite zone, especially the good future.

19. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I musta missed when a sequel was even announced.

20. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Sonic 2 CD! (not Sonic CD 2)

[​IMG]

A great loss to my favourite SEGA console (I even added a multibios mod last month! :D).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.