don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skaarg

Skaarg

Really at the stage this project is at right now, we need to concentrate on getting the core part of the game solid first, and then move from there to what else we want to add, or somebody can make a topic where people can contribute well thought out ideas, and we can go from there deciding what can be included and what gets axed.

I agree with Tweaker though as far as the music goes for this game. The underwater muffled sound idea is kind of neat, but I also don't like it because it doesn't stick to the original game, and I think the muffled underwater sounds work good with more realistic games, but not a 2D platformer like this.

2. Here's a suggestion, how about someone programs different things to the options menu or make a prefrences menu, a la Megamix? Therefore, those who disagree with suggestions that may detract from the original Sonic 2 are content, and those that want a few extras are content also.

3. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    About the underwater effect from Bibin, thank you very much for that contribution - I personally think that it is a catchy feature which some players might like, so I think that it wouldn't hurt at all to simply have an option for it that players can simply enable or disable at their own preference. That way if someone really detests it they can simply turn it off.

Taxman, you answered all of my questions there perfectly, thank you. I would like to see the 2008 revision of your engine, though in the mean time if any techies have the time and passion to start flicking through the disassembly in order to get this show on the road, let's go for it.

Also, some good news gentlemen. I've contacted the chap who produced the Alchemist Defined HD concept, and have invited him to join our little project while showing him what we've produced so far. Hopefully he'll be here to join us soon, although he might not have the time for this project, but if we're lucky he might help us out - let's wait and see.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay, now that is awesome.

5. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    That should satisfy everyone; if people are still angered by it being an option they should go fuck off.

Here's a horrid little messily-"coded" demo of it in action with a terrible Sonic engine I made in a few minutes based on another game I made:

http://theantibib.sitesled.com/SGD.ZIP

6. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    I was wondering if you could make him a full member without taking the trial Tweaker, since he has already made such an outstanding contribution. I've asked him to send me his username when he registers, I'll pass it on to you when he does.

7. Bibin

Bibin

New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Make sure there isn't too much "outside" involvement, as we don't want a cease-and-desist letter. I highly doubt sega has the brainpower to write such a thing (or sega's lawyers, etc), but it's happened before (Some Nintendo and Metroid-Remake conflicts)

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No, dear, you can fuck off. Stop trying to push for your pathetic excuse of a "good idea" to be implemented, because it's not good, and never will be. Kill yourself.

I probably won't, but we'll see how things go anyway. It's not like the Trial period will keep him from doing anything useful.

9. Bibin

Bibin

New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    It wasn't even my idea:

Anyone with a few seconds in audacity or other similar multi-tracked audio editors can create the effect. I merely implemented it in a shrot demo; I shouldn't even be the one credited for it. Clearly others like the idea (if I remember correctly, two people complained), so there's no reason to make it a non-defaulted option for those who want it. CPZ doesn't have very long periods of being underwater (or undermack, whatever), but in levels like ARZ it makes more sense not to use it.

^_^ Slaituk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(^_^ Slaituk @ Apr 22 2008, 04:09 PM) [​IMG]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This was clearly an awesome idea.

<words words words>

I'm good with just applying a filter to the audio like that and having it as a muted track most of the time on that level.[/quote]

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Making a preferences menu is pointless for such small, inane details that only we'll ever care about. It's much better to, as I said, simply recreate the original game with better graphics and sound. That's all we need to do, as far as I'm concerned. If we're going to make a version with millions of extras, that should be something to do after the fact with Super Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Turbo HD Remix.

11. Flygon

Flygon

I think the most of the reason people contemplated adding an option for this was so that would could enjoy the music without "interruptions", and even if the low-pass filtered version of the song was added when underwater it is absolutely nothing game breaking, if not enhancing to be quiet honest.

Plus adding an option for this or not would be crap easy.

12. Bibin

Bibin

New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Need to do, yes, but there will probably be other preferences. Other games have long "detail" settings; they'll probably put in other small things into Sonic 2 HD that some may like, and some may not (semitransparency vs the lines, using original vs new music, this effect setting, lighting effects <look at the windows in the original Sonic 2 HD image with the reflectiveness).

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned

14. I thought a Pref menu was for small details that some extremists would only care about. I mean, even Megamix's menu has unimportant details, such as the speed cap, or the Super form music.

Thing is, I'm suggesting that after all the core work is done, then perhaps after the fact someone tosses a menu in there that allows for stuff such as music muffling for water levels. A few of us (including myself) think that's a cool detail.

Such a menu would satisfy you, and myself, because I'd assume all the original options would be defaulted, and the user can turn on whatever small extras he wants.

EDIT: And I totally did not see the above three posts while posting this.

15. Bibin

Bibin

New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Also, to take your point and use it against you, Sonic 2's only option (besides who to play as) is whether or not there are only teleport boxes in 2 Player mode. I'd think you'd find that pointless.

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No, because it actually drastically changes how the two-player mode plays out.

Sonic 2 didn't have a lot of customizable options because there was no need to make any. The game's not that complicated, and it's ridiculous to try and make it so with this project.

17. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    Fucking Hell, Tweaker, I don't see why you'd argue against having it as an option that can be turned off. I mean, Jesus, it's not like it would be that hard to do (that is to say, so time consuming that it would slow the project down.), and since you (and you seem to be one of the only ones out of the rest of us, if you didn't notice) don't like it, you can turn it off and play without. Christ.

18. Guys, I really think it is in our best interest to let this issue be and get back to the art and music. Clearly we've come to a bit of an impasse and we've said all that needs to be said about it for right now. I'm sorry for suggesting that this could be done rather simply as I didn't mean to incite a couple pages of bickering about it.

Back to other matters, that starpost is definitely coming along although it still looks rather cartoony. I think the pole-section needs some work.

Also, I'll get to finishing the slightly more curved spikes eventually, I'm working on them on and off, but it's harder to modify than it first appears.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You're absolutely right!

In fact, now I propose we add every character ever made in the Sonic series to this game, with full HD custom art. I'll even make it myself!

And don't you dare claim it as a bad idea, because all of Sonic Stadium will agree, and they're TRUE SONIC FANS! Besides that, you can just turn it off, so why the hell would you bitch about something that you can just turn off?! That's stupid! You're a bitch, you should be ashamed of yourself, now go away before I read your edit history and subject you to extreme power abuse!!!!!

And as we all know, quantity > quality, so you're all losers!!! Hahahahahahahahahaahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, as long as we actually differentiate between the different characters somehow I really don't care if we throw in a lineup that puts some larger fighting game titles to shame. It'll just heavily delay the project unlike the other features that we're discussing.

I mean, NO IT MUST BE JUST LIKE IN THE ORIGINAL SONIC 2. MUST BE... MUST BE... MUST BE...

But seriously, tailoring the engine to make it easy to add extra characters/levels/etc. would be a good idea. I don't see why this project has to stop with only a bare bones update to Sonic 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.