don't click here

SonMapEd (Sprite Mappings Editor)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Xenowhirl, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I'm trying to add in one extra animation to the skidding sprites of Sonic. I know how to add a new sprite, but how do I resize the new 0x0 to add in an extra skidding sprite? Are new mappings and stuff created when this is done?

2. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=159698:date=Jan 18 2007, 02:32 AM:name=Rockman Zero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rockman Zero @ Jan 18 2007, 02:32 AM) [​IMG]</a>

3. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    A way that I used to add extra tiles to the art very easily for later importing from images, was by first exporting the art to a .asm file, then opening it and copying the last line that isn't full of zeroes, and pasting it over and over again. Then you get multiple copies of the last tile which can then be easily replaced with whatever images you might have.

4. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Which line is that? Is it this:
    Code (Text):
    1. dc.b $D1,$1D,$10,  0,$D1,$EE,$D1,  0,$D1,$EE,$D1,  0,$ED,$1E,$D1,  0,$ED,$1E,$D1,  0,$ED,$1E,$D1,  0,$ED,$1E,$ED,$10,$ED,$1E,$ED,$10; 41184
    As far as I know 41184 is the address for the last tile. Do I paste it at the end of the asm file?

5. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    No, copy that line and paste it lots of times below itself.

6. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Gah...I how do I create extra mappings for the extra skidding sprite? I have no idea.

7. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    Small update.
    New stuff: Organize Tiles by Sprite Order, Duplicate Tiles, Clear Pixels of Tiles.
    Fixed stuff: Delete Sprite was borked, Sonic 1 rev00 rom import had some bad address ranges.

8. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Is it possible to load the "End of level" text object? I cant seem to get it to work...

9. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    Which object is that, and what part isn't working? [If you can't load the art you're probably doing something wrong. If you can't find the sprite mappings maybe they don't exist.]

10. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Object - 3A
    Mappings - 14CBC

It loads but its all warped graphics. =P
    I don't know exactly which art file to open with it...

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    It probaly loads art starting from tile $0 of the VRAM, like the title cards.

Do a complete VRAM dump (make a savestate, and delete all data before $12478), and load the tiles from there. It should work but I haven't tried it.

12. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha

Who's next!? Oldbie
    Believe me it does work. I've done that many times.

Although I extract all of the VRAM data from savestates. The VRAM dumping bug in Gens KMod and DebuGens gets on my fucking nerves. Dumping 0x0000 to 0xF9FF may be fine and dandy for most of you, but I find that to be a major inconvenience. Why the fuck is 0xFA00 to 0XFFFF not dumped?

13. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Great, thanks both of ya. :P

14. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Alright folks, bear with me. I'm completely clueless wen it comes to ASM, but if this is the only way to do the sprites properly is with it then I'd better pick up the pace (I would have got into it eventually)

I'm working with Sonic 1 and want to change Sonic into Sonia. In the process of making the sprites, the overwhelming majority of them don't fit within Sonic's mappings. They're usually off by one or two tiles like this:

[​IMG]
    Note the missing piece of hair.

Could I use this to add tiles to each sprite, or would I be better off making a new set of sprites altogether?

15. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    You can add new tiles with this. Open everything up, select the sprite with [ and ], click on an unused tile at the bottom, and click on the shape of tile you'd like to add in the top-left. A piece will appear, move it with the arrow keys to where you want it. Then make an image of the sprite exactly the same size as the sprite's mappings, and use import sprite image to put the right graphics in the new tiles.

16. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    Apologize for bumping, but the download link does not work anymore.

17. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

18. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    Since this HAS been bumped, I'd like to make a little bug report: when importing tiles from a bmp, SonMapEd always turns the color of the bottom-left pixel transparent regardless of palette color, even when set to "direct match to current pallete".

Other than that, this thing is awesome.

19. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

So that's what causes that problem! That's the only reason I have to use ESE to patch up things :/

20. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    It's not too difficult to work around -- jut (make the bottom left pixel a different color from everything else, then save the tiles and change that one pixel in any other program that can edit tiles, but it'd be nice if it weren't necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.