don't click here

Sonic 2 early prototype, dumped

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    Yeah, that bastard Verse hauled outta here 2.. 3 years ago now!

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The "wall pattern" is probably just a mappings error, like essentially the whole level is. =P

Hell, even in that shot, you can see the fucked mappings on the BG of the level. I don't think it's anything significant; and I know for a fact GHZ is entirely unaltered, at least gameplay-wise.

I'd also like to confirm the previous theory regarding the Tails monitor in HPZ, and also add an amendum to it; Saxman (and many others - Stealth, Rob, etc etc...) claimed that the Tails monitor had no significant meaning, and was simply an error, and that the Tails 1-up was actually a normal 1-up. I believe this to be true, as in this beta, we can see Hidden Palace is already fully complete. What I believe this also implies is that it was completed at a point where it was still using many Sonic 1 object definitions. This is supported by the monitors in Green Hill - you'll find like 4 shield monitors in a row, when they were originally ring monitors. But a big point I'd like to note is in GHZ2 - the normally-1up monitor is now a TAILS 1UP! This leads me to believe that the Tails 1up in HPZ was indeed meant to be a normal 1up monitor, but also, it means that the shield at the start of HPZ is not a shield, but rather a 10 rings monitor!

Keep that in mind; and try to note it. I always found it odd for there to be a shield at the start of the level for no reason anyway, so this makes a lot more sense.

3. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Yeah, I've also seen the ye ol' weird wall level. I'm able to place a CPZ platform, some weird platform which makes you fall every so often (Sorta like Wing Fortress Zone) and sort. And here's a screenshot.
    [​IMG]

Also, moving straight up sends you to the glitchy 'final zone' area for some reason.

(This being Scrap Brain 3)

4. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
  5. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
  6. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    No, the wavy effect is just there. Furthermore, Sonic drops -really- fast. I have no clue why.

Also, the Scrap Brain weirdness level seems to be an underwater version of the Labyrinth zone 3 slot.

7. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    Am I the only one pretty pissed about HPZ. In drx's beta its farther along than other levels, yet it never made it into the final. They put lots of effort into it in the early days, then just tossed it away. To me it kind of kills the whole "we didn't have time" excuse. They could very well have put it in.
    Maybe its just me. HPZ was what I had looked forward to most back when the Gamepro ad way back when came out, and then it never came to be. Pissed I was. Wai's beta fed my hunger, but now drx's beta makes me pissed at Sega all over again.

8. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Did anyone notice this, in Drx's S2 prototype (picture on the left), the EHZ boss explodes after you beat it, where as in Simons S2 prototype (picture on the right), it doesn't explode at all. If anyone knows what's going on there, that'd be cool.

9. twix

twix

Pending Member
    to complete scrap brain act 3 you jump through a gap in the roof if I remember correctly, so nothing too weird about that ;)

10. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    yeah what's up with these jerks all leaving? *hugs* good to see you =D

I find it intersting that if you move up in that glitchy level it takes you to glitchy HillTop... ;) good find, nw ill have to go back and explore that part.

EDIT: OH I see why, it's like when you jump though the ceiling in Scrap Brain act 3.. I thought you meant in the labrynth levels

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    It should be noted...

GHZ was worked on a bit to fit into S2 from S1....

GHZ has 128x128 tiles
    GHZ has 2P mode compatable deformation AND mappings
    GHZ has collision tags added to the loops (yes the loops collision does not wor)

12. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    OOOH OOOH, anyone said this yet?
    toward the end of Labrynth act 3 at
    1DEA036C
    1D4F030C boss music starts playing.. but nothing seems to happen

anyone post that yet? it's probably just Sonic 1 leftovers but I found it neat.

13. twix

twix

Pending Member
    Yeah I noticed that, I cruised around looking for leftovers of robotnik but no luck.

I'm so surprised we got such an early prototype, I thought it would have been later than Wai's (think one player and two player options with old title screen)

14. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Final Zone is a direct port of HTZ (SBZ) act 1, however the level starts you in a completely different location. I'm assuming that it's just the starting point in final zone using HTZ act 1's level slot... but why would they both use the same level slot?

I've forgotten so much of this hacking stuff =\

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    10AF8 - Animation script (Sonic)

16. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    [​IMG] The rest of LZ stuff.

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well, think Sonic 1.

SBZ = HTZ

SBZ has 3 acts, BUT, "act 3" is LZ4. The real act 3 slot of SBZ (HTZ) is final zone, so it'll have HTZ's gfx in it. Just like SBZ3 on the S1 level select activates LZ4, which is glitchy with CPZ graphics.

18. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Sorry, Mayor. The information I had for you was out of date.

19. Vangar

Vangar

OH MY GOD.

I have been waiting for this day, Thank you so much DRX.

20. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Level order information - 35A8

Now we know exactly what's what in case anyone didn't know

EDIT: Sprite location mapping begins at 40090