don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    One of the first things I noted was that this game looks like it has Balan Wonderworld's art style. After reading that Naoto Oshima is on the project... I think this game is by Arzest. Which I'm all for. FyH_D6kWYAMNyMT.jpg
    The dead giveaway is the grass. I'm not kidding. grass1.jpg

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I wonder if they considered calling this Sonic 5 at some point lol

3. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Metroid Dread was $60 and definitely worth it IMO

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  4. Snowbound

Snowbound

Sega knows Sonic is hot rn cuz of the movies. Whether the games are good or bad, I suspect sega will be releasing a LOT of Sonic games in the next few years. I 100% agree with u in terms of pre-ordering/launch day purchases. I’m excited for this but when it comes to Sonic games I’m a big believer of caution.

Edit:
    If Shilz is correct and this game was developed by Ohshima’s company than I would not be upset that the Mania devs weren’t brought back. Ohshima has every right to fully head a sonic game with his own team.

5. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Anyway, about the game itself. I'm uh, cautious. Not a huge fan of the 2.5D look, would prefer a Mania-styled 2D game using the retro engine, but who knows, if it plays well I'll pick it up :V

6. Kyro

Kyro

Also, built in coop is really really cool for a sonic game tbh, that isnt just a sonic and tails mode? Im really curious if we'll get some footage of that in action cause I think thats a huge selling point for me personally

7. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Metroid Dread was big budget. Let's not move goal posts. Dread was huge and also had cutscenes with voice acting. That's a lot more than anything Superstars or Mega Man 11 did. Even Nintendo has priced some things at $40 that aren't so big budget.

8. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    Looks promising. I Like the character designs, but not Sonic's, he still has that Generations-esque look I'm not a fan of.

9. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    eh? you said 2D games. And I brought up Dread specifically because when it released, there was a lot of discussion about its price.

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie

I just wanted Mania 2, guys. Really. You had it down so perfectly. Just use the damn retro engine and build 6-12 new 2D stages in it and throw it out into the wild.

But I guess I'll take this. Maybe. I'm one of those people that ended up kind of enjoying S4 Episode II... so... I guess if they get the physics right...

And the multi-path tiered map design.

All of which I am still very skeptical of them pulling off without help from fan devs.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Arzest doesn't have a great track record with games, especially taking on classic franchises (See Chibi Robo 3DS, Pikmin 3DS, and Yoshi DS). I know Sonic is Oshima's child, but he's the style man, not the substance. Don't fuck this up, Sega.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I can't believe that some people aren't absolutely enamoured by the art style here. To each their own, but damn. Hard disagree right there. The character models and animations are absolutely beautiful. None of the stiff awkwardness of Generations/Forces Classic Sonic, incredibly expressive facial animations and they've finally taken the time to properly model the wheel-o-feet and propeller tails instead just overlaying a smeared texture.

The game looks fun to play, although I'm very cautious about this. Visually though? This is exactly what Sonic has needed for the longest time.

• Agree Agree x 19
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  13. Vertette

Vertette

I gotta give Sonic Team this - it actually looks like they're finally doing something new with Classic. The char models look new, the art style is different, there's no Green Hill or Chemical Plant in sight, there's power-ups and simultaneous multiplayer... I can see why people wouldn't like how it looks but I'm digging it so far. Might be the shake-up 2D Sonic needed.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I could have worded it better, but let's not pretend that something like Mega Man 11 and Superstars are comparable to a big budget Metroid game. I felt referencing MM11 and the like made it clear those were the games I was referring to.

15. RikohZX

RikohZX

It's also about damn time they reworked the proportions of Classic Sonic, too.

16. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    Maybe this is premature, but I noticed not a trace of Green Hill, Chemical Plant, or Sky Sanctuary in the trailer. I'm hoping Sega finally took their creativity pills and will make an all original game this time.

17. Snowbound

Snowbound

I absolutely love how Sonic looks. The shading reminds me a lot of Tyson Hesse’s designs for the Origins cutscenes.

18. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    actually now that you brought it up, it is kind of interesting that they used Emerald Hill instead of Green Hill this time, in the intro

19. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I'm not gonna complain, even if Sega is 13 years late with this project.

If Naoto's involved, then good. Let the man do some magic.

20. RikohZX

RikohZX

Yeah, the initial zone is your usual Green Hill expy (or Emerald in this case), but it at least isn't exactly the same, and the other stuff shown off isn't exactly mindblowing but a Jungle Zone is better than just another Chemical Plant. This really seems like a game that would've came out a decade ago before Sega and Sonic Team tripled down on nothing but Sonic 1/2 references.