don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Indeed, perhaps a remake one day...
    Just... not with the current lore team rewriting it...

2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Nah, the original story is bland and only serves to confuse what should be a simple timeline, it deserves a rework.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’d love a tails adventure remake that combines genesis-sonic platforming with the original’s metroidvania elements

To be clear tho I do not see that as a realistic inclusion in origins plus

4. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Maybe, just unused functions? And a bit more...
    I mean, sprite swapping, restoring some still unused content in games, normal menus a-la sonic 3 or sonic cd, proto ost for s3k, option to use unused theme as super/hyper in s3k, and maybe knux in CD.
    I even can't play this, so I hope they'll load in museum a lot of previously unseen concept arts. And at least a bit of demo music for Sonic 3. But I really want to see Sonic 3 zone concept arts in good quality, that based on Sonic 2 concept arts. We still hasn't sky sanctuary and doomsday zone arts!

P.S.: Just imagine to see Sonic 2's Rock World, or Dust Hill concept arts, lol

5. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I don’t understand why they didn’t give S1, S2 & CD a Sonic 3/Mania style save menu. From what I gather, S1, S2 & CD were updated to use the Mania engine, so it feels like they could have easily ported over the Mania save menu rather than creating a new (regressive) menu.

Using a Sonic 3/Mania save system would have given the package more consistency. Plus, the Sonic 3/Mania menu is functionally better, as you can have more than 1 save per a character and completed saves double as level select, which also allows you to finish your collection of Chaos Emeralds.

The Mania menu also has toggle options for things like debug and "& Knuckles" mode, so all those Origins cheat codes could have been menu options rather than having to enter cumbersome sound test codes.

If they don’t fix the save menu system for Origins Plus, then it's going to be most disappointing.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic 1, 2, and CD weren’t really updated to the Mania engine, they were update to work with the Mania engine so the 4 games with 3 different engines could co-exist.

But their dicking around with CD’s menus shows they could’ve made new S3K Esq menus, they just stupidly chose not to, and Sonic 1 and 2s original post save level selects still exist but just lie dormant. My guess why they didn’t was because they like to pick and choose which traits are core to the experience and which aren’t and they often make the wrong choice (Sega I don’t think anyone would give a shit if the boss Rush had Robotniks mechs outside their original zones, in fact I’d prefer it so it wouldn’t look so cheap, what we do care about are the crappy slapped together drop dashes in Sonic 1 and 2, the lack of lives in widescreen, the crappy sound mixing, and the insistence of “how it was” over menu quality of life improvements, but apparently those things aren’t essential to the experience according to them)

Another thing I wish they’d implement was a universal story mode score system. I want my high score for all 4 games, why reset after each one when the coin count remains consistent? That’d make for a fun leaderboard.

Also I wish Sonic CD would at the very least get Sonic 1 - 3s level select or something similar. Really don’t understand why they bothered remaking CD’s spectacularly crappy cheat code level select screen back in the day, they didn’t bother for Sonic 1. Least they could’ve done was spell out the zones, idk what R4-2-B is off the top of my head.

EDIT: Hey look what someone was able to do, restore SCD 2011’s menu:

7. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    A level select would do alot to make it better. I hate having to start over all the time.

8. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    You know, would be funny if they will fix all S3K issues and will realese it on mobile :p

9. RDNexus

RDNexus

At this point in time? Not holding a candle to that.

10. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Think there's a good chance they'll release 3K on mobile with the normal lives system (without the stupid COINS). Although they'll probably put loads of ads on it like they've done with the other remasters.

11. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    To not release Sonic 3 on mobile in a post Origins world is still a baffling decision one could make. Pretty strange to see the other classics remain on Android/iOS but not 3.

Honestly, if they don’t plan to add it, then they should have just delisted the other mobile versions too.

I’m hoping once everything gets ironed out they can do it for the 30th anniversary but even then, maybe SEGA doesn’t consider the mobile market feasible enough nowadays when compared to PC and consoles?? Idk

Just pay the extra $2-$3 to remove the ads… that’s dirt cheap lol.. they just need to optimize the games to run better on phones with much wider screens than 16x9

12. DaveDave

DaveDave

I'm still baffled how they managed to f up this collection so bad when most of the work was done for them (I mean the games being "done", not the porting, etc).

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    The original story is fine, and doesn't need to be touched. And how confused can you get with "pre-Sonic the Hedgehog 2"?

14. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I think the islands are kinda stupid-looking, but the 2D main menus all look pretty nice. I wouldn't have minded seeing those menus adjusted to fit the individual games. It would create a sense of cohesion, something this package sorely lacks.

15. You know I'd actually like to see a Sonic Spinball Retro Engine port. The only real issue I have with that game is the poor physics. (And the Options music needs remixing)

16. Yuzu

Yuzu

tbh i would be very upset if they remixed the iconic sonic spinball options music

17. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    The violation of one's ear-drums is part of the Spinball experience.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    DADADADA DADADADA DADADADADA DADADADA

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    People who think the Spinball options theme is bad are the reason we can’t have nice things.

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Nah it's bad. How is Tails supposed to grow or have someone to look up to if he can already bring down a technological empire on his own? Completely ruins his character.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List