don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Given the fact that Breath of the Wild was apparently super controversial to longtime Zelda fans, I feel like it makes sense that this game would similarly be controversial to longtime Sonic fans. Honestly, it would be weirder if a Sonic game didn't divide people in some shape or form lol.

So I choose to ignore people cuz they're annoying.

I went from mostly apathetic to being cautiously optimistic; I want to like this game, but I'm curious on how much its going to hold my attention. I still haven't even finished Breath of the Wild OR Pokemon Legends, even though I do find those games fun and well put together. There's only but so much I can engage in the same gameplay loop before I get bored. I do prefer feeling like I'm working towards a goal in a game, hence why I prefer the more Arcadey experience of older games and fighting games.

I can enjoy Open-world games too, but they definitely don't hold my attention for as much time.

2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    All of these images look awesome. Especially the 2nd and 3rd ones. I don't really care what anyone else says anymore, I'm excited for this game. Maybe I'll get my dreams crushed but I'm counting down the days till November 8th.

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Attack on Titan vibes.
    [​IMG]

4. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
  5. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I don't mean to be a party pooper, but Sonic fans are blowing this out of proportion. He didn't say he "liked it", it's not "Sakurai-approved", he said he was already going to buy it anyway and he just acknowledges this is a bold new direction for Sonic. He did not actually give his personal feelings on what he played.

6. Kyro

Kyro

Maybe he'll finally update sonics moveset in smash after frontiers whenever smash gets an inevitable sequel

7. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    "I was already thinking of buying this game, but now I'm definitely going to buy it!" sounds like a pretty approving statement of its own.

8. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    "I was thinking of buying it because I can play Sonic in a new way, but I will definitely buy it!" is the Twitter translate version.

I don't think there's a fluent Japanese speaker here to tell us what he really said, but you definitely sound like you want to be a party pooper if you're that eager to try to make "This went from a 'might buy' to a 'must buy'!" sound negative or even neutral, lol.

He's not calling it GOTY, but it's not an overreaction to say he liked it.

But anyway, the lava world is also the sky world it seems? A surprising mix that makes it more unique! And it leaves room for other biomes.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  9. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    The enemy design in this game is starting to look cool as shit. If I buy this, it's going to be the cascading teeth on that Mass Production Evangelion that sold me

10. It actually reminds me a bit of Red Mountain from Sonic Adventure, which is also a good thing for me. Hope we will have more footage of this island, because it looks really cool.

Also, very nice to see Sakurai liked Sonic Frontiers and plans to buy it! Hopefully the game itself will serve as reference for Sonic's combat system for the next Super Smash Bros. game.

11. Exoticus

Exoticus

That last screenshot of Sonic giving up the purple emerald (?) goes way too hard.

12. lupinsmask

lupinsmask

Still not impressed by the open zone. Lava island just looks like kronos island but darker, has lava streams and floating pieces of land. I remain in the discount wait camp.

13. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I wonder what's actually happening here. It looks like the chaos emerald is being stolen from him.
    lol the way the Titan is animated in Frontiers reminds me so much of the angels from Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's funny as well because the voice of Rei Ayanami is also voicing Sage in this game.

14. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    The enemy design keeps going harder and harder as time goes on. Also these new locales look really neat, and I like that each island seems to have their own distinct "shapes" floating around in the sky. Also Super Sonic looks dope with that aura effect, but something about the arena and the boss battle itself seems... cheaper(?) compared to the rest of the game so far. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

15. RDNexus

RDNexus

In the trailer I didn't notice it, but the screenshot of the fight gives out that feel.
    So yeah, you're not alone on that opinion ^^"

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Maybe those battles make use of lower poly environments since so much is shown at once? The spectacle here is Super and the Titan the environment is more there to show scope.

17. There are quite a few Japanese speakers here actually. That translation is on point and your, “might buy to must buy” is a good localization effort!

The core meaning of the sentence is how it goes from 思っていた/omotte ita “I was thinking about/considering,” to 絶対に買います/zettai ni kaimasu “I will definitely buy,” separated by けど/kedo “But.”

So yeah, it’s a good impression, but it’s not worth getting overly excited about. It’s likely paraphrased and it’d be really unusual for him to say anything else. The only case I can think of with a Japanese dev dissing another team’s game is when some Platinum Games people called Ninja Gaiden 3 (the original, not Razor’s Edge) a kusoge.

18. MH MD

MH MD

I mean usually when they don’t have a positive impression, they don’t say anything, or give a stock response like “yeah it was interesting” if they want to be polite about it, they don’t respond to any game with “it gone from might buy to must buy”

also, the game demo in TGS was so packed, they closed any further entrance

https://twitter.com/simischules/status/1570235038603825152?s=20&t=_ggYKSxLdarIfMlWkBRa8A

i feel it’s the most anticipated game in any game event where they showed a demo for it

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I essentially completely agree with @Azookara

It seems like there's a fairly clear gameplay loop. Explore island, combat with mobs and minor bosses, Cyberspace levels, and Titan bosses. Not a bad idea for a loop but I think it could easily get repetitive.

The games quality is going to hinge on the quality of the design of these elements. But so far I think the combat, puzzles, and level design look pretty bad. So I don't have any faith.

20. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    This game is going to kill my PS4