don't click here

Sonic Tier Lists Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Sep 10, 2022.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Transformed is fucking amazing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Only issue is that it can take a while to find a match these days. Honestly though, I'd argue ASRT is a higher skill floor game than Mario Kart 8 and the options it gives you for building and holding onto your drifts can be really very rewarding. Also you can play as the Spy from Team Fortress 2 and he does the spycrab when he hits opponents so it's automatically GOTY 2013.

[​IMG]

3. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    upload_2022-9-10_12-0-48.png

4. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I think TF2 are only on Steam?

5. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Oh yeah, this is absolutely true @_oliver . Honestly, your odds of finding online lobbies on Steam may be better anyway. Lucky for you, its permanent price with all the DLC included is £15 on Steam, so really not much of a difference.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Damn. I kind of want a Sonic Retro Sonic Racing Transformed lobby going now.

7. Kyro

Kyro

That would be so sick actually

8. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    We could start a thread for it, perhaps make it a weekly thing...

9. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Posting images on here is weird.

Stuff is in order from left to right

To me, when it comes to a game, fun doesn’t necessarily mean well made. And well made doesn’t necessarily mean fun. And it's funny. Because for me personally, I don't feel the games in either tier could also be in the other one

I am talking about P-06, as that''s what I have played. And specifically only the Genesis/4:3 ratio versions of Sonic 2. If it was CW Remake, it’d be in the bottom lol

Also, wish I could add images so I could grace this tierlist with the exceedingly magnificent glory of Sonic Robo Blast 2

10. charcoal

charcoal

>Riders in top tier
    Based, I love Riders. It's easily the best spinoff in the series.

11. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    upload_2022-9-10_19-11-29.png
    I have quite milquetoast opinions. Except maybe Forces, I like it a bit more than most people.

12. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Kirby Mastah is incredible at Sonic Advance 2. His recent world record run for Sonic Advance 2 does an excellent job demonstrating what is possible with a speedrun of that game.

If anyone is interested in learning how to speedrun any of the Sonic Advance games, I recommend joining the Sonic Speedrunning Community Discord server. A lot of people there, including Kirby Mastah, are very helpful in providing feedback about how to get better at speedrunning the Sonic Advance games. I found a lot of feedback there useful for my speedruns.

Sonic Advance 2 for me is a top 3 Sonic game, which is why I placed it so high on my tier list. It has my favorite art direction in the series. It's such a pretty game with excellent animations. Like if any indie game came out in 2022 and looked as good as Sonic Advance 2, its art direction would be praised by reviewers. The gameplay was insanely addictive for me to speedrun in 2021 until my backlit Gameboy Advance SP stopped charging. I also love how the trick system in Sonic Advance 2 has a lot depth to it compared to later games by Dimps. You can do a forward trick, back trick, up trick, and down trick. Every character has a different trick. Characters like Sonic and Amy Rose have the best forward tricks in the game, where as Tails and Cream have the best down tricks. The level design does not take advantage of different character abilities as well as a lot of other entries in the series, but there are still optimal routes and strategies for specific characters. Like this strategy I figured out with Tails allows Tails to beat an RNG boss fight in Zone XX with a consistent strategy.

13. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I've always preferred the classic games over everything else but every once and a while they win me over with something else, also didn't hate Sonic 4 like a lot of other people, that one I feel gets bashed on hard when in reality its just a mid game.
    my-image.png

14. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Here's mine. An obvious heavy bias towards Classic Sonic, but I've also got a lot of nostalgic fondness for the Dreamcast and pre-06 3D era.

C Tier onward is all stuff I enjoy with a passing grade. D is playable, but not a favorite. E is stuff I would never genuinely recommend, but at least it's not outright broken. F is never should've been made territory.

Not putting obscure mobile/toy or Olympic spinoffs in this list. Mainline console and portable releases only, with a rare bonus title or 2 beyond that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  15. charcoal

charcoal

Wait, what's wrong with the Whitehead remakes? They're basically the same but in widescreen.

16. The game being widescreen is exactly the problem.

I perceive Sonic 2 to be quite different from the other games. I find it to hav less emphasis on platforming, and a complete lack of exploration I actually care about and want to do. Thus, I viewed 2 mainly as a twitch reaction based game…

Which becomes less of a challenge and ultimately less interesting if you’re giving significantly more time to react. (I will mentioned I did still really enjoy Mystic Cave for some dumb reason.)

Thought the game was boring, actually the worst of the 4 originals for a while (3K’s one game, and Cd is included in the 4) until something occured to me and I went and tried out a version with the original ratio.

Found the game to actually be fun again.

Also, I’m like 87% convinced that’s at least part of the reason I didn’t enjoy Mania as much as a lot of others appear to.

Blew through almost the entire game one night with Sonic and Tails. Then proceeded to get the emeralds only on that profile. And got all gold medals from blue spheres except one only on that profile and uh…

yeah, I haven’t really played that game outside that. Every now and then I’d try again to see if I could get some fun out of it and the result is always the same.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  17. VenomTH

VenomTH

Not quite a great tier-list but this is mine. I grew up more with the early 2000s era.
    [​IMG]

18. my-image (5).png

I didn't put every single Sonic game I've played, just the ones that left a particularly strong impression on me after playing them.

I counted Sonic 3 & Knuckles as one because I honestly can't remember the last time I played Sonic 3 and S&K separately (probably well over a decade by now). I should mention Sonic Colors is my favorite Sonic game so I probably should've made it #1 in the chart, whoops.

Mania gets a lot of love from the fanbase for understandable reasons, but it just never clicked with me. I never felt that wow factor that I felt with the original classic trilogy, probably didn't help that so much of the game was made up of reused stages. Its unfortunate but it is what it is.

Unleashed SD and HD are about the same to me, SD gets points for a better Werehog, boss battles, and being a much more streamlined game overall, but loses points for the Hedgehog/Werehog balance being a lot worse than the HD version. HD version gets points for its vastly superior Day levels, presentation, and greater amount of content, but I can't tolerate its horrendous padding issue.

As for the huge gap with SA1 and 2, I like it better when a game at least pretends to give me the option to ignore gameplay styles I really don't like.

19. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Here's mine:
    my-image.png

• Battle is a bit of a sleeper hit
    • The Drift games are awesome
    • Rush is overrated
    • Sonic Advance 2 and 3 were a massive step up from the first one
    • There are two imposters on the list
    Edit: I haven't really played the Riders series except Zero Gravity once and the Free Riders demo a little bit.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Here's mine. Can't wait for everyone to call me a fake fan cos Mania isn't at the top & 06 isn't at the bottom.

Attached Files: