don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. On the topic of the ending, Megumi Hayashibara (Sage's Japanese voice actor), comments on the feeling of the ending: https://lineblog.me/megumi_hayashibara/archives/3015843.html

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  2. Chip is dead for all intents and purpose too.

3. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Oh god, I love this ending theme. I hope this game has some sort of music player feature like Mario Odyssey did so I can just play this song while I'm playing. Hopefully there's a loop version for that purpose, too.

4. Snowbound

Snowbound

This is absolutely not the sonic game I wanted but the music and the story is getting me very excited. I’m legit surprised I feel this way but this song makes me WANT to play the game.

5. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
  6. Honestly, I hope the final boss as well wil be a vocal song, just like Black Knight. We kow as well, Sky Sanctuary, a cyberspace level will have a vocal theme.

7. RikohZX

RikohZX

Forces really changed their ideas of vocal songs, honestly. After it had been strictly vocal openings and endings since Unleashed, and Lost World even totally skipped out on that, Forces got a massive amount of vocal songs and various different genre types, and Frontiers seems to be following the trend.

Kinda wish the gameplay got that same amount of effort, but oh well.

8. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Me in the 2000s: "Ugh, the internet won't shut up about the 80s."
    Me in the 2010s: "HELL YEAH THE 90s WERE THE BEST DECADE OF ALL TIME! AGGRO CRAG, HEY DUDE, N64, POGS~~!"
    Me in the 2020s: "Ugh, the internet won't shut about the 2000s."

Enjoy it, I sure did. xD

More relevantly, a few days ago I heard someone somewhere say something that really resonated with me about Frontiers. It might've been here! It was something like:

"In the best-case scenario, Sonic Frontiers looks like a 7 out of 10. However, some of my favorite games ever made have been 7 out of 10s. I can't wait!" I felt that.

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

I also have to wonder just how 1:1 to song will be in the game itself. Between the piano leitmotif for the game's advertising lining up with it and the habit of the series to have more unique music despite this one seeming like a licensed deal (and a censored version seemingly made for this case), I feel like Sega may probably customize the song themselves or at least use it as the basis for the actual ending/credits theme.

10. Snowbound

Snowbound

Now I want an extended version of this song with a piano intro and a guitar solo outro

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

NiGHTS being a favorite game of hers makes a lot of sense.

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Love how we’ve managed to spin four pages almost entirely off this song. It’s not my thing personally, but neither was a lot of Forces. It’s regretful that Sonic’s music seems to be shifting away from what I like, but that experimentation and willingness to embrace so many different genres is what made it thrive in the first place. I’m sure there’ll be more of the stuff I like somewhere down the line.

13. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    I am still waiting for more companies to start cashing in on 2000s nostalgia. I think all of us would buy a Sonic Advanced collection.

EDIT: fixed typo

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. RikohZX

RikohZX

Yeah looking back at past interviews like the GameInformer one about the story, the "somber tone" is definitely intentional. I already have my theorycrafting ideas, but this isn't going to be a story that ends with all smiles at least, probably.

15. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    My little emo heart was literally bursting listening to that ending, I really love One OK Rock's style and this makes me wanna listen to more of their music. Super happy with this ending theme... I think the overall direction of this game's soundtrack seems really promising. The heavy electronic music we heard in the background of the new overview trailer (the one Ohtani tweeted about), plus this, plus the additional heavy guitar we heard in that earlier trailer, plus the orchestral elements mixed in here and there.... it all feels very fitting for Sonic, and I think that specific mish-mash of styles and elements is definitely a winning formula. We'll have to see how the execution is, I guess. Having vocal themes for stages isn't something I'm super fond of, so I'm curious how that will turn out... and if the lyrics will be painfully cringe-worthy or not. Tbh cringe lyrics can really make or break a theme for me, which is one reason I really love this ending compared to something like Fist Bump (̶"̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶"̶).

Edit: Oh, speaking of Ohtani, this is happening right now. I think they also mentioned Korone will appear at some point: https://twitter.com/Ohtanitter/status/1567442078036291585

So far it looks like they've shown off a Koco plush, there was a brief message from One OK Rock, some kind of images/art from Kronos and Ares (?), and a closer look at the pre-order bonus stuff. There's also a really neat video of the Chaos Emerald "throne" playing on loop in the background.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  16. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I find it interesting that they went with a J-Rock band this time, I wonder if it's part of an attempt to increase Sonic's appeal in Japan? One OK Rock seem decently popular enough in Japan and they have over a million followers on twitter. Definitely a big change from when they would get random one-hit-wonder American bands like Hoobastank or Zebrahead

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

The full English song is now up too. I love this song and I am actually excited for how this game is shaping up. Unlike many other Sonic games the more I see of this the more I like it.

little more than 2 months left now

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Solid choice, but... I dunno. Music like this always gets me in a bad mood.

19. Vertette

Vertette

I'm a big fan of the song but I can see why people wouldn't be. If you hadn't told me it was a Sonic song, I would have never guessed. (It seems to have been made for the game so that means it counts as one, right?)

At the very least I'm glad they're trying out new things with Sonic again.

20. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I don't think it was made for the game, considering it was already on their upcoming album, it was set to release as a single, and the uncensored version is literally about sex. Seems like SEGA got some kind of licensing thing where they get to debut the song, use it as an ending theme, etc. Perhaps the censored takes were recorded for Frontiers, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had that planned anyway, since a lot of artists record clean edits for certain platforms.