don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

While my first experience with Sonic 3 was with the PC collection, the only beta track I heard was Carnival Night. I couldn't get past the barrel of doom until I played it on Mega Collection+ on PS2, so I have more nostalgia for the MJ tracks.

The biggest loss in changing the music would be Ice Cap.

2. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I believe they did something similar to this when they did the LEGO Dimensions stuff several years back; they included Green Hill, Carnival Night and Ice Cap but with completely different music.

I don’t know how those tracks were received back then but I would rather they stick to the original tunes for something like Origins, be it MJ or the beta.

EDIT: I just heard the Lego Dimensions tracks for Carnival Night and Ice Cap.. all I’ll say is “well, at least they tried”; they’re just mehhhh.. and yes I know that Travelers Tales composed and own this music and no licenses were paid for to use the original songs

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  3. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Wasn’t Zippo literally saying like, a week before Origins was officially unveiled that the project had been quietly canceled and this is why Sega went radio silent on it after its initial announcement? I’m not going to accuse him of just making shit up but at the very least I think he’s got some very dodgy sources and is prone to editorializing based on bread crumbs.

4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Zippo absolutely makes shit up and I wish people would stop giving him attention.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  5. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
  6. astroblema

astroblema

Chile
    It's a secret!
    So... just like the original Michael Jackson tracks? :P

7. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    If they’re gonna use replacement tracks, use Leila Wilson’s. Her Ice Cap is almost better than the original in my book.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Leila's sound too busy and complex for Sonic tracks, and those by Zak are grating (GEMS guitar? Really?).

If it's not the MJ tracks, it's proto tracks or bust. Ice Cap will suffer a great loss, but Carnival Night will gain it all back with the best Act 2 in the game, so I'm fine with it.

9. astroblema

astroblema

Chile
    It's a secret!
    oh boy that's good shit
    Which ones are Zak's?

10. I just hope proper credits are finally provided for whichever OST(s) are included. I have faith that the original, as in Brad Bruxer and co's, bops are the default, hopefully also with options for the PC and alternate S&K tracks even if locked behind a paywall.

11. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Oh, I’m positive if they do music replacements it’ll be the proto tracks. They already own them, they’ve already been used in an official release of the game, I guess I’d just hope they’d have Tee Lopes or someone touch them up a bit. Since it’s a remaster as opposed to emulation, it should be a lot easier to tweak the songs without having to like, reprogram anything on the Genesis sound font or whatever.

12. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I don’t think we will ever find out who composed what. Regarding this game, they’re going to continue to use that “composed by SEGA” credit for whatever songs they were responsible for.

If they end up going with the beta tracks only, I’m predicting that they will either do what they did in S&K Collection, which was credit MJ’s team even though their songs were not used in that version of the game; or completely omit MJ’s team from the credits

Ofc that all depends on which OST we are getting

13. I'm mostly expecting to Jun Senoue getting credits for the songs he made. Even tho' the songs he composed were just few ones (like the Gumball Machine or the Ballon Park theme).

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I prefer the proto tracks for Carnival Night, Ice Cap and Launch Base but do feel it’d be a shame for the release tracks to just be gone. I think they’re no less valid as musical interpretations of Sonic’s setting and it’s such a fascinating piece of history that I wish could be more openly discussed by official channels. Particularly Ice Cap, the vibe of which is indescribable but perfectly fits the environment, unlike the peppy proto track (even if I do prefer it as musical piece in a vacuum personally).

15. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I always felt the revelation that Ice Cap was based on a discarded pop song made a ton of sense. A lot of the Sonic compositions are very rich and above the par of “video game music,” but Ice Cap always felt significantly weightier and complex than many of its contemporaries. Feel like there probably is a mentality of “this is going to pump out of someone’s CRT playing the blue hedgehog game” versus someone writing an actual song meant to be heard on the radio, and only repurposing it for a game years later.

There’s a reason Ice Cap has stuck with so many people for so long, as opposed to the doofy ass circus music in Carnival Night. I know even as a, what, 7-year-old kid who had just found out online how to get past the damn barrel I was blown away when I first heard it.

16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Honestly? I like all the prototype tracks better except for IceCap. Never cared much for the final CNZ and LBZ tracks. I actually agree with MJ that his music didn't sound that good on MD hardware.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    That would be interesting, considering this exists...

Same here, but then I feel like an idiot making an exception for two tracks out of all the rest, so wind up just taking the minor L and going full proto.

18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    https://soundcloud.com/leila-wilson...in=leila-wilson-woofle/sets/sonic-3-alternate

These were produced long, long ago and I already use her swinging Death Egg themed Launch Base version in my own S3AIR package. There's an official mod for all her replacement tracks already.

Edit: Looks like I already got sniped on this, but give her Launch Base tracks a listen if you haven't already. Her act 2 mix is amazing.

Last edited: May 9, 2022