don't click here

Curling Holiday

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, May 7, 2022.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Crosspost from the Sega Harmony findings megathread:

[​IMG]

It appears Pecky got his own arcade game! Found in the "Carnival Zone" section of Ichikawa Galbo (1994), it's one of probably several Sega-built arcade games that hasn't been documented. The photo Sega used in this leaflet is a bit too small to make out the name - I'm assuming "Curling Holiday" because... there's curling, but you tell me.

Did Sonic's other animal friends get arcade games? Are any of these units still in service? (I'm guessing no since there no photos online).

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  2. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Interesting, I didn’t know there was any kind of game/attraction that solely featured one of animal friends. I did a cursory search for “カーリングホリデー” and 市川ガルボ but couldn’t find anything. Is there a scan of the full page? Maybe there’s some info written about it there.

3. Linkabel

Linkabel

I'm pretty sure someone had already brought this up from another source.

@Pengi do you remember what that was?

4. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I sure hope there's a Cucky arcade game.
    My favorite sonic character.

5. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Oh, I had guessed chilling holiday, I was wrong. :flunked:

7. Pengi

Pengi

https://fyeahsonicthehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/671766059279417344

[​IMG]

This picture has been around for a little while, but I don't know where it came from.

The Pecky slide stone (?) could be won as a prize, it seems.

[​IMG]

There's a bit in Sega Jack #2 about it (thanks to @ScottyDX for the pic):

[​IMG]

Run through Google Translate:

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  8. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    Yeah I at first could've sworn I had seen it or something similar before but managed to convince myself I hadn't (to be fair, you'd never get far by only using "pecky carnival game" as a search term for reference)

This is from a Sega feature in Última Generación #7 (it's on Retro too, but doesn't want to load for me right now)

The fact that it's a smaller, individual machine, unlike the larger Sonic Canball, makes me suspect that Sega sold a few these to other venues in Japan - or at least supplied many to their own, and not just the Joypolis/Galbo theme parks. These types of carnival games (i.e. ticket redemption without the tickets, it's not really a thing over there) were often a part of what made the hundreds of standard Sega World amusement centres family-friendly.

I hadn't considered the Pecky prize was related to it before though, nice connecting the dots there.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  9. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    This certainly brought this to my attention, so I'm thankful for the thread. That's neat!